PDA

View Full Version : Need some reassurance :)

micki76
09-09-2003, 11:15 AM
My SIL recently adopted a rat terrier named Princess. The shelter wouldn’t let her take Princess home until she was spayed, but they were not going to be able to spay her until today, because the vet couldn’t get to her until then. Well they called yesterday and told her that they couldn’t spay her because there’s distemper going around. Doesn’t make sense to be but, oh well. They told her that she could go ahead and take Princess home and that they would call next week to schedule her spay. They said that she had all of her shots except the rabies, because it has to be given by a vet. That part makes sense.
Anyway, I’m dog sitting her starting this Friday until Wednesday and I’m a bit worried about my kids. They have been vaccinated against everything except Bordatella & Lyme Disease.
I guess I just want someone to tell me that my kids are safe. LOL I’m such a worrier. Even if Princess hasn’t (for some reason) had her vacs, my pups are still 100% safe, right.

I know they are, that’s what vacs are for. Duh.

Samantha Puppy
09-09-2003, 11:17 AM
Why wouldn't they let her take Princess home and have her spayed elsewhere? That doesn't make any sense. All they needed to do was to have your sister sign a contract stating that the dog would definitely be spayed by a certain time.

Your children should be fine, but if you have any questions, I'd suggest calling your pediatrician or at the very least, a local vet.

micki76
09-09-2003, 11:34 AM
Originally posted by Samantha Puppy
Why wouldn't they let her take Princess home and have her spayed elsewhere? That doesn't make any sense. All they needed to do was to have your sister sign a contract stating that the dog would definitely be spayed by a certain time.

Your children should be fine, but if you have any questions, I'd suggest calling your pediatrician or at the very least, a local vet.

They wouldn’t let her take Princess home because she lives in another town. They said that if she didn’t bring her back for the spay, they have no legal recourse. Makes sense, but we’re the type of people that want our pets spayed and neutered.

Samantha Puppy
09-09-2003, 12:02 PM
I'm with you, I don't have a problem with spaying or neutering... Sam got spayed when she was about seven months old. I just think it's weird they wouldn't let Princess get spayed anywhere else. :)

Uabassoon
09-09-2003, 01:01 PM
I'm sure that they just want to make sure that she does get spayed. I'm sure there are people out there that will sign a contract saying they will spay her then never do it.

Miki your pups should be fine, I don't think you have anything to worry about.

micki76
09-09-2003, 02:03 PM
Originally posted by Uabassoon
I'm sure that they just want to make sure that she does get spayed. I'm sure there are people out there that will sign a contract saying they will spay her then never do it.

Miki your pups should be fine, I don't think you have anything to worry about.

Laura you’re from Texas, you know all about the rednecks that don’t spay & neuter. LOL

Tonya
09-09-2003, 02:49 PM
I would say with the vaccinations, you are safe from all the major sicknesses. You might have to worry about fleas or kennel cough. I've had bum luck (and our shelter is gross); every pet that I have brought home from the pound has gotten the whole house of pets sick and/or infested in fleas. It has never been anything to severe though.