PDA

View Full Version : Poodle Fur!

Nancy Lee
12-06-2000, 10:59 PM
Hi, All I'm new to this site and I need everyone's help. I have a white poodle who has allergies. Wherever he licks his fur, it is discolored. Any suggestion on what I can use to make his fur white again? FYI I have already tried hydrogen peroxide(then washed it right off), lemon juice and saline solution(a lady at petsmart told me that, but it didn't work).

ktreva52
12-06-2000, 11:53 PM
There's a product made to remove tear stains from dog's faces -- I can't recall the exact name just now, but it might do the trick. Do you know what your dog is allergic to? If it might be food allergies, you might try switching to a chicken and rice formula or a lamb and rice formula as corn and wheat are biggies on the food allergy scale while rice is very low there. You also might try some hydrocortisone to make the spots less itchy, ergo, less licking. Let us know and welcome to the site.

Pam
12-07-2000, 06:55 AM
Nancy Lee I have had four poodles (2 apricot colored, one silver and one black). My silver poodle at one time had a period where she would lick and bite at one of her front legs. This caused the fur in the area to turn black. The vet told me that there was nothing wrong with her leg and suspected that it was a "habitual thing" sort of like when someone bites their nails. Eventually she stopped on her own and the color eventually returned to silver. I'm not sure whether your poodle is just licking or maybe biting. I think rather than try and whiten his fur, maybe you could find the source of the licking or biting. Maybe he has skin allergies that are making him itch, or maybe it is just a habit like it was with my Ashley. Has your vet checked him out? Once the area is left alone it should return to its natural color. I was told to put something bitter tasting on the area but she actually stopped before I had to do that. Good luck!

ownerof3dogs
12-07-2000, 02:11 PM
At the vets where I work we use a whitening shampoo for light colored dogs (can't remember the name) but and kind of stuff like that works pretty well.