PDA

View Full Version : How we spent our weekend

PJ's Mom
09-08-2003, 10:16 AM
Rottie and I, along with the rest of our family of course, went to visit my inlaws this weekend.

Next door to where they live is a cocker spaniel. My best guess is that he's somewhere around 7-8 years old. He looks like a cross between Opus (RIP Big Boy :( )and Peej. I think he may be at least partially deaf, and he has the cutest crooked front teeth. :D Anyway...

This dog lives outside with only a board to lay behind. Yesterday, the temperature got to 95. He didn't have any food or any water. It seemed that his owners weren't home and he was so hot. :(

The only way for me to see him was through the slats in the fence. It's big enough for me to get a couple of fingers in, and all I could pet was the top of his head and his chin. :( He really seems to be a sweet boy. How sad it is that no one ever pays attention to him. :( :(

I spent a couple of hours feeding him some of Peej and Baileys food and treats through the fence, and because I couldn't get a water bowl to him, I used a pair of swimming goggles that were broken. I filled up one of the eye pieces and fed it to him through the hole over and over again 'till he ended up drinking 6 bowls of water.

The dog is rarely allowed on the grass, and his part of the yard is covered only in dirt. This family does have kids, but I really can't say if they ever play with him.

The common sense part of my brain tells me that the dog has lived this long, so the owners have to be doing something right. The rest of me knows that it's no way for a sweet boy like that to live. :(

I wanted so badly to steal the dog, bring it home with me and give it the love and attention it deserves. However, I did what I could, but it wasn't enough. :(

Why do people like that own pets?? :mad:

Logan
09-08-2003, 11:07 AM
This makes me so mad and sad at the same time. I'm so glad you did what you did to give him a little comfort. I have no words (that I can express here) on people who treat their animals in such a way. :( :( :( :mad: :mad: :mad:

tatsxxx11
09-08-2003, 11:58 AM
Oh, don't even get me started:mad: What TOTALLY confounds me is WHY such people would ever want to have a dog to begin with???:(:( They don't seem to enjoy him and the poor dog lives a life of mere survival and isolation. GRRRRRRRR!!! Thank you SO much for giving him a little respite from his misery. As far as I am concerned, that is animal abuse. Any dog that is left outside for hours, in the elements, without water, is being abused. He drank HOW MUCH water???:mad: My same old lament.......where is animal control???:(