PDA

View Full Version : is your dog overweight?

Crikit
09-08-2003, 01:19 AM
Okay so I'll start off by saying this isn't aimed at anyone in particular. It's not meant to insult or anything like that, think of it more as an educational thingy from Tracy :D

Now a few of you know this, but one thing I can't stand is an fat dog. No it's not just because I do the whole dog sport thing and overweight dogs and agility don't mix...that's a whole rant I won't get in to right now. It bothers me because I just don't like to see square, rectangle, cylindrical and other geometric shaped breeds of dogs. I understand that sometimes dogs have medical reasons for being er a bit on the pudgy side but for the dogs that don't well...what's their reason?

Now with the ad of my ever so cute assitants I will try to explain how to tell if your pupper is overweight, the goonies are being used to show what a dog should look like...I'm not saying they're perfect and all but they're the best example I have.

Now when you stand over your dog and rub your hands down his sides you should be able to feel the ribs through a slight covering of fat. Also when you stand above your dog you should be able to see a waist behind the ribs...in other words it should look like an hour glass.

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid78/pb034b353b8eba97997285fc37f30edeb/fb2660d5.jpg
http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid78/pd3562bffc8b083ee075f8c68e2136b7c/fb2660d1.jpg

you should also be able to notice an hourglass figure when you look at the dog when they are sitting.

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid78/pc4e8b699dd334a0dcdec7eb0d6c7ea0d/fb2660cd.jpg
http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid78/p058046127d9d43c1159ff37b24dc2d80/fb2660c8.jpg

and last but not least, when you look at the dog from the side you should be able to see a noticeable "tuck" where the ribs end.

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid78/p0bf1e55fe6ffd612b91112cced937194/fb2660d7.jpg

zippy-kat
09-08-2003, 01:22 AM
If this applies to humans, I'm in trouble! ;)

According to Dr. Tracy, Sara's the perfect weight! yay!

wolf_Q
09-08-2003, 01:26 AM
Very informational thread, Tracy. :D I think Nebo's at a perfect weight but my mom thinks he's skin and bones. :rolleyes: Reggie looks fat, but he doesn't *feel* fat....it's weird. Smokeys always been skinny.

Poor Ladybirds been getting an awful lot of comments about her being fat lately...:o What do you think? (pic attached)

I just hope this doesn't apply to humans, or you definitely wouldn't like me! :o ;)

Kfamr
09-08-2003, 01:28 AM
You must not like Simba then. :rolleyes:

In my opinion, Nala is WAY too skinny.

kingrattus
09-08-2003, 01:31 AM
Max is a toothpick. I want to fatten him up just a bit & tighten up his muscles a bit more. Max is about 70 pounds & I want to get him up to 75-80 pounds & I'll be happy.

Crikit
09-08-2003, 01:40 AM
Originally posted by Kfamr
You must not like Simba then. :rolleyes:

Actually I love Simba, he's a great dog.

Like I said this wasn't started to get people riled up, it's just to inform on how to tell. Having skinny dogs has been drilled in to my head because of all the agility I do. Before I got into it Smudge was over weight, I'll admit to that.

Kfamr
09-08-2003, 01:42 AM
I found it a bit offensive though, although you meant nothing of that.

It's sort of like saying you can't stand or you hate fat people, just because they're fat and can't play basketball or something.

kingrattus
09-08-2003, 02:05 AM
in my opinion dogs fed table scraps/ppl food tend to get fat. If the dog gets proper excersize & a proper diet it shouldn't be fat.

But it also depends on the breed. Rotti's tend to be heavier set, but their tummies shouln't be larger then the chest, but more equal.

It also depends on the dogs age & health. If the dog has been injured & can't excersize much at all, then that doesn't count. if the dog is over 10, they tend to become more lazy, because they tire out easier, so that doesn't count. But the dog shouldn't be horrible over weight.

Sadie should be a 25max. pound dog, she weighs 50 pounds. Shes horribly over weight, she can't clean herself, she can't run very well & she waddles really bad. Sadie is only 4 yrs old. She eats as much as cadeau & cadeau is 80 pounds (cadeau isn't over weight, her skin is just saggy, due to age), sadie usually eats most of cadeau's food. & sadie eats alot of ppl food aswell. The vet said she MUST go on a diet, but rob's mom said, sadie isn't fat, shes cute.

CathyBogart
09-08-2003, 02:08 AM
I don't like seeing fat dog either, because *USUALLY* it means that the owner is neglecting an important aspect of their health and proabably shortening their lifespan in the process. Some pups, I realize, are just naturally predisposed to being a bit tubby, or have medical conditions that make them that way. Just like people.

Star is a nice healthy weight. She had some extra "padding" a few months ago, but we switched her food and it dropped off. Wilbur is actually a bit underweight, but we're working on it! Brian's dog is overweight, but there's so much fur there that we didn't realize it for along time. Poor Stella.

aly
09-08-2003, 02:08 AM
I just had an experience at the shelter the other day with a woman who had some morbidly obese dogs. I am not going into a whole lot of detail about it, but the sight of her dogs made me cry. This wasn't just being overweight, this was ... I can't even think of a word. I've never in all my life seen dogs so huge... and I've seen a LOT of dogs.

My point is, it can be damaging to a dog's health to be overweight. So I believe we all can do our part to help our dogs stay fit.

Kfamr
09-08-2003, 02:10 AM
Simba is fat and I neglect him.:rolleyes: :rolleyes:

aly
09-08-2003, 02:17 AM
Originally posted by Kfamr
Simba is fat and I neglect him.:rolleyes: :rolleyes:

If you mean I was implying that, I wasn't. This woman's dogs were easily like 5 times the size of Simba.

CathyBogart
09-08-2003, 02:18 AM
Aly: My mom's friend has a BEAUTIFUL lab/collie mix named Mischief who is the sweetest thing...and hurts my eyes to look at. That poor dog weighs over 100lbs, and she's meant to be a 60lb'er...*shudders*

Last time I was over there, I discovered a tumor the size of a tennis ball on her chest, and my mom told me that the vet told the woman it was a lipoma that most likely wouldn't have happened if the dog wasn't so fragging fat. :( This one is harmless, but what if the next problem she has because of it isn't? Poor Mischief...

binka_nugget
09-08-2003, 03:05 AM
Kai's overweight. He's near 40 pounds and his breed standard asks for 20-25ish or so...although he looks nothing like a sheltie and his build isn't like one so I think maybe 30 is a bit more reasonable for him. He's on a diet now with a very strict exercise program until he can lose those 8 pounds or so.

lovemyshiba
09-08-2003, 07:19 AM
What an interesting thread.

Kito is perfect--he is right at breed standard, and you can just see that he is muscular by looking at him, especially when he runs

Abbey looks good right now--she has a tendency to put on weight, even though she is our most active dog, but she has dropped a few pounds and looks very athletic

Riley is a skinny minnie--long legs--he looks funny sometimes, but his ribs aren't showing, and he sure eats healthy!!!

Jada looks gorgeous--it's obvious that she was well taken care of, and she loves to walk and run, so her exercise level is good

All in all, I think my dogs are good, weight wise, but people often say Abbey is getting fat--my neighbor said it just the other day:( Here I was, so proud that I had gotten a few pounds off of her, and they say that. I think she looks great!!!!

cloverfdx
09-08-2003, 07:46 AM
what a great thread *i will try not to bitch* ;)

in my opinion if a dog is perfectly healty other than being over weight then there is no reason for the owner not to do somthing about it, it is amazing what a run at the park will do to a dog *over time obviously*

it makes me mad when i see overweight dogs and there usualy lazy owners.

now to my 3 kids

Penny has lost some weight *winter weight* and is now getting lighter by the day (she refuses to go for walks in winter/when its raining and cold) but we have been playing inside with her alot to get the weight off *yay*

clover is a good weight, but i need to start her on fitness and endurance training, and she has always had a pot guts on her even as a pup we could never get rid of her lil tum, i can feel her ribs and she has an hourglass figure (so she should with all the exercise she gets)

as for Mr Theodore he is much bigger than his breed standard (chihuahua) but i still think he looks skinny but wont put on the weight as he runs it off strait away ( he is hyperactive lol).

when friends of mine rescued/reclaimed one of their labradors he was morbidly obese it was horifying to look at the poor boy, but to look at him now you would never be able to tell he at a good weight , though i think he could lose a few more kilo's for his own good

anna_66
09-08-2003, 07:50 AM
Some may say Angus is, but it's just that since he's gotten older & doesn't move around as much he's lost most of the muscle in his hind end. So I think that makes him look a little larger in the middle. But by no means do I think he's fat (he weighed 106 at his last visit). Do you think so?
http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid76/p0c0fa1e677b3cffe3868940e7e35ed08/fb418910.jpg
And as for Huney and Roxey, I think they are just perfect (but maybe I'm a little biased:p )

cloverfdx
09-08-2003, 07:53 AM
what a great thread *i will try not to bitch* ;)

in my opinion if a dog is perfectly healty other than being over weight then there is no reason for the owner not to do somthing about it, it is amazing what a run at the park will do to a dog *over time obviously*

it makes me mad when i see overweight dogs and there usualy lazy owners.

now to my 3 kids

Penny has lost some weight *winter weight* and is now getting lighter by the day (she refuses to go for walks in winter/when its raining and cold) but we have been playing inside with her alot to get the weight off *yay*

clover is a good weight, but i need to start her on fitness and endurance training, and she has always had a pot guts on her even as a pup we could never get rid of her lil tum, i can feel her ribs and she has an hourglass figure (so she should with all the exercise she gets)

as for Mr Theodore he is much bigger than his breed standard (chihuahua) but i still think he looks skinny but wont put on the weight as he runs it off strait away ( he is hyperactive lol).

when friends of mine rescued/reclaimed one of their labradors he was morbidly obese it was horifying to look at the poor boy, but to look at him now you would never be able to tell he at a good weight , though i think he could lose a few more kilo's for his own good

micki76
09-08-2003, 11:09 AM
I have one very pudgy JRT x, Millie, and the other two are fine. Aneko was very underweight when we got her and is now at a good weight. Chester has a great shape and is just fine. If only I could only get Miss Tubitha to shed a few pounds. We walk, we play fetch, we run in the backyard and we go for walks in the neighborhood. Nothing works, she's just getting fatter!

We don't give table scraps either. They're a no-no due to Chester's pancreatitis.

Pam
09-08-2003, 12:50 PM
Neither Bella nor Ripley have a weight problem. They get lots of exercise and eat well. When we got Ripley he was only 11 lbs. and you could feel every rib. They shelter's paperwork described him as skinny. He is now about 14-15 lbs. and holding. Bella fluctuates from 39-40 lbs. A dog is a product of what we, their humans, put into them. Fortunately for them they don't have to fight the battle that we do when we are in the supermarket and that delicious pastry or that 1/2 gallon of ice cream goes on sale and screams out to us ....Buy me!. It's a lot easier for them! They eat what is put in front of them. They don't really have a say in the matter. :)

Edited to include the kitties: :) I used to free feed the cats until recently and that, I believe, is what caused Trevor to put on all of his excess weight. Andy just never ate much when I put the food down so I left it for them to, hopefully, share. Obviously Trevor was eating the "lion's share." I now feed them separately and have switched to canned to make meals more palatable for Andy so that he will eat in a reasonable amount of time. The reason for all of this: Trevor developed diabetes. I am sure I am mostly to blame for allowing them to "free feed," but thankfully he is doing much better. Sorry to ramble on about kitties on a dog thread, but diabetes can also strike dogs.

Logan
09-08-2003, 12:54 PM
Lilly has a weight issue, constantly. She is a "wide load", and every inch is so sweet! :) But we are always watching and working on her weight, trying to keep it down so that she will be a healthy girl for many years.

The others are really fine, although Zipper looks thin compared to the rest.

Logan

pitc9
09-08-2003, 02:13 PM
I get comments everytime I have my pups in public, people say
"Oh my gosh your dogs are so skinny....are they sick??"

And they both are on the skinny side (Buddy who is still fighting with worms could stand to gain 10 - 15 lbs) and Sierra, she's just so active... they both eat well, there just skinny dogs!

I think it's funny because now a days so many people have overweight animals, and when they see a "normal" looking dog they think there underweight.

Logan
09-08-2003, 02:38 PM
I thought this was interesting, given that you just asked this question.

Overweight pets (http://www.msnbc.com/news/963396.asp?0bl=-0)

ParNone
09-08-2003, 03:08 PM
Well Me, Murph and Maddie can definitely afford to lose some
pounds. Murph and Maddie, about 4-5 lbs and I'll keep my
number to myself.:) I've never really given Murph and Maddie
table scraps or that much in the way of treats, so I think that's
a misnomer to think all fat dogs are eating table scraps.
I'm just not very precise in measuring out their dog food,
which I've recently changed. I'm trying to get both of their
weight down. Murph for his knee and Maddie, because I
noticed she's breathing a lil' bit too heavy lately. Here's
some pics I took at lunch today:

Overhead shots
http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid78/p14870145690cf38972473e804d09b2d1/fb24fca8.jpg

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid78/pea0fb491bf8b3ac955a0e9ed5657ea45/fb24fc99.jpg

Side View
http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid78/p1da958136459d413f4bd3cc57511f751/fb24fca3.jpg

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid78/p93fafd3447f468f9c190c1ad0a3fe410/fb24fc95.jpg

Now Oz I keep thinking looks too thin. He has the opportunity
to eat 4 cups of dog food a day, but only eats closer to 2 cups.
Then a few weekends ago, my Aunt commented on how thin he
looked. Oh my gosh! Was I paranoid then. Kept looking at him
and feeling his ribs. Driving him nuts I'm sure. Just can't handle
anything starving. That's one of the reasons I can't watch those
animal cruelty shows on Animal Planet, because it's so many
times an animal starving. I took him to the vet a few weeks later
for his annual checkup and he only weighed 55 lbs. Breed
standard wise, he should be more like 65 lbs. So I asked the vet,
because now I was really worried and he said Oz was perfect
weight. So I'd have to agree with pitc9, because I know I have
a tough time determining what's normal, I get so many
conflicting viewpoints.

Here's the pics of Oz today:
http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid78/p7381257a9932a8a61728f0a207516248/fb24fc9d.jpg

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid78/p5858726fe17f52f31404573d349a5e7a/fb24fc9c.jpg

Par...

primabella
09-08-2003, 03:27 PM
Mickey doesn't get table scraps either (meat ect) but he gets crackers and sometimes bread for treats, which isn't really very good. He gets a lot fo excercise though. I think he is a good weight although a lot of people think he has a fat ass--well that's a sheltie butt for you. ;)

When they sit, you should see an hourglass figure? Mickey looks like a freakin' pear! lol it's that butt I tellz ya! ;)

I think a chubby dog is alright, as long as they are in shape and not gasping for air. :p I think it's the same thing as people--I know people who are chubby but they are way more in shape than those who are skinny. It may just be...the dog. Am I making sense?

Kater
09-08-2003, 03:48 PM
Originally posted by Logan
I thought this was interesting, given that you just asked this question.

Overweight pets (http://www.msnbc.com/news/963396.asp?0bl=-0)

Ooooooh, this article links to the scientific report itself!

The report, partly available on the Internet (http://dels.nas.edu/banr/petdoor.html), also details daily calorie recommendations and essential vitamin and mineral requirements for dogs and cats, as well as how to tell if a pet is deficient.

Cincy'sMom
09-08-2003, 04:03 PM
Sadiea nd Spot are both at a great weight for them, they "fit" all the right criteria.

Cincy on the other hand is overweight. Not disgustingly so, but she ranges from about 5 lbs over where she should be to 15 lbs over. She still has an hourglass figure, it is just alittle wider then it shold be. We have her on weight control food, she gets tons of exercise, she does not have the metabolism she should. Her weigth does not hinder her...she can clear agility jumps, and get on our couch, into my truck, etc. with no isses. She runs almost as fast as os the other two, even with her much shorter legs.

I do worry about her weight, becuase I know a heavier dog much have shorter lifespan. We have had a thyroid test run on her, and are awiting the results.

Bottm line, she is a happy, active dog, and we love her :)

Cinder & Smoke
09-08-2003, 04:52 PM
Originally posted by Pam
... A dog is a product of what we, their humans,
put into them.

(Fortunately for them they don't have to fight the battle
that we do when we are in the supermarket and that delicious pastry
or that 1/2 gallon of ice cream goes on sale and screams out to us
....Buy me!).

It's a lot easier for them!
They eat what is put in front of them.
They don't really have a say in the matter. :)

OH How True!

And how quickly an *adjustment* CAN be made!

Cinder was adopted at 6 months; and was both *small* AND *skinny*.
Doc Mike said to feed her "about what" my slightly larger Shadow (RB :( Shepherd/Husky) had been eating, as she had been in his mind an Ideal Weight.
Cinder 'filled out" to about 45# (from an initial 36#), but only grew an inch or so in height and length. "She's Just Fine" was the 1 year old observation from Doc Mike. We held at about 1.5 cups of Krunchies, twice a day.

But 45# became 46#; then 47#... and then SmokeMutt arrived...
BADLY underweight - and every bone on his back protruding; every rib visible. The boy needed FOOD!

HE got 1 3/4 cups, twice a day; Cinder got 1.5 cups.
A year later; he had NO ribs showing; all was well
untill Miz Cinder
developed the *itchies* and we visited the White Coat...
and made the manditory trip UP on the Evevator Table with
that :eek: Durn METER!
Uhhh-Ohhhh.... :p
Cinder was *pushing 50#; Smokey (who cooked his own goose by *insisting*
on a "ride" on the table too) had porked up to almost 45#! :eek:
The WORD came Loud & Clear from Doc Mike -
"They can Both do with a *Little Less*! :(

Neither one *looked* overweight -
but the once Hour-Glass figures HAD slipped away to
a rather "tubular" shape. :p

Trust me - They Both *NOTICED* that night!
"Hey, DAD! <Looks in bowl>; <Looks UP :(>;
<Looks in bowl, again>; <Looks UP :mad:>
Lookz like we'z a lil bit *SHORT* here!
They've been on 7/8 of a cup, twice a day for almost a year.
And they gave up with the <Look Up>; <Look back in the bowl>
routine - it wasn't having much effect on me!

The ponds HAVE melted away!
Last trip on the Elevator Table made Doc Mike *Happie azza Klam*!
Cinder was a trim 46#; Smoke was down to 39#. :)

With all the *swimmin* and *Bark Parkin* this summer;
Smoke's ribs were showing a bit; Cinder (with her fulffie coat)
was a bit hard to determine - but her ribs were easy to feel...
Soooo... we've *Up'd* the Krunchie count just a tiny bit -
they now get an *extra* tablespoon per meal - so the bowl
gets filled with just shy of a full (level) cup of Krunchies.

Just that *tiny* bit of an increase (a month ago) has already had a
visual effect on SmokeMutt - his ribs have melted away under his fur.
Cinder shows no real effect... "feels" about the same.

So the bottom line is ~
WE do control what, and How Much; the FurKids eat.
IF they are truly *overweight*... a small decrease in what
we feed WILL make a big difference in just a few months ~ Try IT!

Cincy'sMom
09-08-2003, 09:17 PM
Originally posted by Cinder & Smoke

So the bottom line is ~
WE do control what, and How Much; the FurKids eat.
IF they are truly *overweight*... a small decrease in what
we feed WILL make a big difference in just a few months ~ Try IT!

That is usually very true...but not with Cincy. On her "Reduced Calorie" food, the bag says she should get 4 c/ day. I give her about 1 1/2 -2, and add green beans to "fill 'er up". She just doesn't lose. This is why we are investigating a helth reason :)

micki76
09-08-2003, 09:33 PM
Originally posted by Cincy'sMom
That is usually very true...but not with Cincy. On her "Reduced Calorie" food, the bag says she should get 4 c/ day. I give her about 1 1/2 -2, and add green beans to "fill 'er up". She just doesn't lose. This is why we are investigating a helth reason :)

Same with Miss Millie. We had her thyroid tested and it was normal. The vet says that some dogs, like people are pre-disposed to retain calories as fat. LOL, he said in the wild they would be the healthiest pack members because they can make their food storage last longer! :D

*LabLoverKEB*
09-08-2003, 10:29 PM
I wish that Sadie wasen't overwait, but she is.:( :mad: lol, I don't know why it makes me me mad, I just always want a 'prefect dog', I guess! She probally needs to loose about maybe 10 lbs or so, I'm not sure.

Anyone have any tips on how to help Sadie loose weight? Thanks!

:)

Crikit
09-08-2003, 10:39 PM
When I was trying to get some weight off of Smudge I switched him to a reduced fat food (which he's still on) and put him on the pumpkin diet which he loved.

lovemyshiba
09-08-2003, 10:45 PM
I just found this article, and thought of this thread

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&cid=624&ncid=624&e=2&u=/ap/20030908/ap_on_sc/pudgy_pets_1

shais_mom
09-09-2003, 01:17 AM
Originally posted by Cincy'sMom

Ditto,
Keegan was on the reduced Calorie food and didn't help. She has hypothyroidism, so once we get that regulated hopefully, it will come off. And she does get plenty of exercise.
I don't like it when people say to me, you have a fat dog. That is just plain rude. In my line of work I have seen plenty of overweight kids and people and I wouldn't dream of going up to a person and saying, "you have a fat kid'' Which Tracy, I already told you last night that I don't think that is what you are doing, and I didn't mean you! ;)

Keegan has an hour glass figure also, just a wider bottom!! Just like her MOM!
Kylie needs to lose weight also, and I did switch her to the low fat version but since she is long haired she still requires a skin and coat formula or at least the hairball treats, so I have mixed in some of the hairball formula food but it isn't helping, so has had more hairballs then when she was on the other formula. :(
Hopefully the three of us can turn over a new leaf, and lose some weight. I think the only thing in my house that doesn't need to lose weight are the 2 fish!
:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :( :( :( :(

stacwase
09-09-2003, 05:47 PM
I told you about my mom's dog, didn't I? She has this adorable little chihuahua. She's had her about a month and the dog's already getting a pot bellie from all the table food mom's feeding her. She wouldn't listen to anybody when we told her that if she wants to have the dog around for long she'd better stop feeding her so much. That's abusive. Here's a picture of the dog - you can kind of see her pot bellie.

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid79/p08d95166a4d0741a4d1685dc831d65b0/fb22b257.jpg.thumb.jpg

Crikit
09-09-2003, 11:42 PM
Originally posted by shais_mom

I don't like it when people say to me, you have a fat dog. That is just plain rude. In my line of work I have seen plenty of overweight kids and people and I wouldn't dream of going up to a person and saying, "you have a fat kid'' Which Tracy, I already told you last night that I don't think that is what you are doing, and I didn't mean you! ;)

I know Staci. I would never actually go up to someone that I don't know and say something like that...heck I don't even really do it to people I know. I let my friend do it :D I will occasionally give people a hard time about their dogs weight but that's really only when they've said that they're dog is to fat.

Sometimes I wish that I was the type of person who would say stuff to people because you should see some of the dogs in agility class. They shouldn't be in the class because it's not safe for the dog due to the weight.

stacwase
09-10-2003, 09:24 AM
I'm a nurse and we're constantly getting overweight people coming in with health problems caused by their weight. I don't know how many 400+ pound people of working age come in, disabled and receiving medicaid because of the problems their weight has caused. So while I don't have a problem with mild obesity (obviously - look at me!), I do have a very serious opinion about morbid obesity. I'm sure the problems dogs suffer from it are just as serious as the problems people have, and since we're the ones who feed them then if they're morbidly obese we're directly responsible for their health problems.

Samantha Puppy
09-10-2003, 09:36 AM
Sam is a German Shepherd/Lab mix and is about 48 lbs. Dr. Amy said that she was right on her target range. That said, Sam gets a can of dog food for dinner each night, crunchies out all the time for her to munch on, and usually someone will slip her a little people food. A couple times a week she gets an evening snack too.

stacwase
09-10-2003, 10:21 AM
Sam must have a very active metabolism! Jake very, very rarely gets any treats and he's on the lower calorie senior dog food (which he hates and will hardly eat) so the only food he really gets is the cat food he steals! He got weighed today and he's lost 5.3 lbs. 4 more pounds to go until he's at his ideal weight. He's 44.1 lbs now.

shais_mom
09-10-2003, 12:38 PM
Originally posted by *LabLoverKEB*
I wish that Sadie wasen't overwait, but she is.:( :mad: lol, I don't know why it makes me me mad, I just always want a 'prefect dog', I guess! She probally needs to loose about maybe 10 lbs or so, I'm not sure.

Anyone have any tips on how to help Sadie loose weight? Thanks!

:)
Sarah this comment disappoints me.
:(
Just b/c Sadie is a little overweight doesn't mean she isn't the perfect dog. I am overweight and does that make me less of a person? Does that mean I am not 'perfect'?

Ask your vet before starting any diet program for Sadie. But he will probably advise you to start using reduced fat/calorie food, and maybe supplementing with green beans or pumpkin (canned). And Lots of exercise. Concentrate on making Sadie 'fit' and healthy so she can be around longer than having the perfect dog, or wishing you had another one.

shais_mom
09-11-2003, 11:01 PM
http://www.msnbc.com/news/963396.asp

Tonya
09-11-2003, 11:14 PM
Good thread, Crikit. I think that is a good thing to know. It doesn't bother me to much if dogs have extra padding. -But it makes me sad too when they are flat out obese. To the point where they waddle. There hasn't been a single dog in PET TALK (that I've seen) that is that fat. I've been lucky with my dogs. I free feed them and they stay thin. Teddy is getting a little porky though, so I am going to stop free feeding him. He is 6 lbs right now. (He's a pomeranian.)

Kater
09-14-2003, 02:41 PM
I found a good article relating to this topic of overweight dogs...

"People overfeed their pets for a number of reasons. It’s easier to put the food down and leave it than to schedule meals and monitor the amount. Even the fattest pet can give a convincing, heart-rending portrayal of a victim of starvation."

Pets and Pounds: http://www.vetcentric.com/magazine/magazineArticle.cfm?ARTICLEID=1730