PDA

View Full Version : My cat has gone crazy

auggie
09-07-2003, 08:35 PM
Auggie has gone berserk every since Phoenix came back from the Hospital.
Such horrible noise coming from her sweet face- hissing, spitting and growling like a mad dog. Doesn’t she recognize him or is it the vet smell that is making her mad. Nothing I do would make her come down. I’m not supposed to use shampoo or soap on Phoenix and at one point I seriously considered wiping my greasy hands all over him to make him smell like fried chicken. Schatzie on the other hand has been acting normal as always.
The Princess:http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid78/p4b5cc747e3cafc8726ed6918c8a807d8/fb2715b4.jpg
http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid78/p2155a5510d16c22cb44bf721a941e00d/fb271594.jpg

Cinder & Smoke
09-07-2003, 08:51 PM
Could very well be the "Hospital Odors" that are causing the UN-friendly reactions.

Try rubbing Phoenix down with Baby Wipes -
that might *mask* the Vet's Office smell.

And is Phoenix sporting a *CONE*??
THAT could be what's upsetting Auggie.

jazzcat
09-07-2003, 09:03 PM
I bet it is the vet smell.

So how is poor Phoenix? All better I hope!

auggie
09-07-2003, 09:18 PM
No Cone!
Poor guy is just minding his own business, mainly laying around, sleepy from the medication and Auggie whapped him in the face.
I don’t know why he lets does girls get away with anything. He is twice there size.
He doesn’t mind being aggressive towards me and I’m the only one who is nice to him.
I’m now considering rubbing catnip all over him.
Funny thing is that petit little Auggie has such a low manly growl and big Phoenix has this tiny girly voice.

krazyaboutkatz
09-08-2003, 12:28 AM
Yes, this sounds like it's because of the vet hospital smells. This has also happened to me before with my cats. Hopefully, Auggie will recognize his scent soon and start being nicer to him.

aly
09-08-2003, 12:59 AM
I didn't even know Phoenix was in the hospital!!! :( :( :( I hope he's okay.

jenluckenbach
09-08-2003, 06:26 AM
If Auggie likes catnip, try that as a distractant. If not try dapping a little vanilla extract on her nose so that is all she smells for a while.
how Is Phoenix?

Edwina's Secretary
09-08-2003, 07:03 AM
I don’t know why he lets does girls get away with anything. He is twice there size.

Funny thing is that petit little Auggie has such a low manly growl and big Phoenix has this tiny girly voice.

If your replaced Auggie with Edwina and Phoenix with Eddie you would be describing my home exactly!

Logan
09-08-2003, 07:17 AM
When I read this, Angie, I remembered when Sara (Sara loves her Tinky) had problems with Tinky and Jupiter, after they had been apart only a day (I think). It may just take some time for your "her highness" to get used to having him back.

Hope it gets better soon! At my house, it has been 2 1/2 years and Mimi still hisses and swats at Butter every chance she gets!!! :)

Russian Blue
09-08-2003, 09:00 AM
It is the vet smells that Auggie is reacting too. Put some vanilla on their nose, under their chin, and at the base of their tails.

These are the major scent areas for cats, and Auggie and Phoenix will smell the same.

catmandu
09-08-2003, 09:41 AM
It probably is the Vet Smell, especially if Phoenix has been there overnight. I think that Jen is on the right track , maye a little Catnip will help. Or what I do is to rub them with a towel , with my scent! Good Luck!

RICHARD
09-08-2003, 12:19 PM
do cats have the same sense of smell that dogs have????

sometimes i walk into the room where Eddie is asleep and he'll wake up sniffing the air until he sees me.....

Does anyone have any info on this???:)

Russian Blue
09-08-2003, 12:43 PM
Originally posted by RICHARD
do cats have the same sense of smell that dogs have????

sometimes i walk into the room where Eddie is asleep and he'll wake up sniffing the air until he sees me.....

Does anyone have any info on this???:)

Sensory Organs

A cat's senses are tuned to hunting small animals and are usually very precise. These sensory organs include: eyes, ears, nose, tongue and the nerves in their skin.

A cat's ears can hear over very long distances and can hear frequencies of up to 65kHz, while humans can only hear frequencies of up to 22kHz. This is why cats are so sensitive to loud noises.

The eyes of a cat give it a full color and three-dimensional view of the world and very accurate size and distance information about their prey to allow for quick and deadly attacks.

A cat's sense of smell is not as powerful as that of a dog, but it is still more developed than a human's sense of smell. This allows them to smell their prey or dangers from a distance.

Cats also have very sensitive whiskers on their face, which gives them good spacial perception. This can prevent them from crawling into spaces that are too small for them so that they don't get stuck.

Source: Pets-opedia (http://www.pets-opedia.com/cats/ctanso01.html)

Kirsten
09-08-2003, 03:31 PM
Any improvements yet?

I also think it could very well be the smell! Luna hissed at Lily this morning when we came back from the vet, but meanwhile, things are back to normal here!

Kirsten

auggie
09-08-2003, 08:35 PM
I did rub some catnip on Phoenix and it worked. Auggie is much calmer today. I was going to dab some vanilla on her nose and chin, but couldn’t find any and decided against the rum extract. She is still pouty and doesn’t want to play.
Logan, after over 11 years I’m pretty much used to them hissing and swatting at each other when one gets to close, but this was different. She acted like a wildcat.
The only other time I’ve seen her this stressed out is when I brought a puppy home.
Phoenix is still able to urinate. I’m on litter box patrol, fallowing them to see who does what and how much. He has been such a good boy about taking his medication.
Thanks for everyone’s advice.