PDA

View Full Version : What is your all time favorite book?

magcpen
09-07-2003, 07:02 PM
What is your all time favorite book? I was just wondering, thinking about going back to school, and then there was that thread started by Popcornbird about good animal themed books you've read, and I knew the question had to be posted eventually. I really, really love this one book in the Dear America Series "A Coal Miner's Bride" (I could have got the title wrong, just becuase I'm not sure if it's A or The, lol). When I read those books I don't really pay attention to the authors (except for one written by a sixteen your old ;)) so.... I really should memorize that authors name. Anyway, what is everyone's alltime favorite book? I just remembered a scene about a cat in that book..... that's the thing about pet boards.

Whoa, I just babbled....:)

ILoveMyAbbyGirl
09-07-2003, 07:07 PM
Well, Either Someone Like You or Keeping the Moon , both by author Sarah Dessen

Kfamr
09-07-2003, 07:11 PM
Romeo and Juliet.

Dobiegirl24
09-07-2003, 07:27 PM
I just finished an awesome book called Gathering Blue, i forget the author, lol:o i also love Bloomability, i think it's by Sharon Creech but i'm not positive:)

luckies4me
09-07-2003, 07:42 PM
I have a few! I LOVE Tailchasers Song! For all you cat folk out there I really think you would love this book. :D

I also love the Watchers, by Dean Koontz. I love all his books but Watchers is the best because there is the Golden in it, Einstein, and if I ever get a male golden that will be his name! They made it into a movie too, with Corey Haim lol, and it was ok. But of course, the book is always better. ;) It just really makes you fall in love with Einstein, but at the same time you feel so bad for the monster thingy too.

I just read the Hobbit for the first time and it is by far my favorite book and I think they really need to make it into a movie. They did a fantastic job with LOTR! I just started The Fellowship of the Ring and can't wait until I get to the last book, since I want to read it before I see the movie. It's so much nicer having read the Hobbit and then going back and watching the movie again because I know now what a lot of the things were. For instance when all the boys stepped over the Trolls, and I shouted, lol, Oh hey those are Bilbos trolls lol! It was so funny but I just love the books! Plus Orlando Bloom is a hottie too. ;)

kingrattus
09-07-2003, 07:45 PM
All the Harry Potter books

mugsy
09-07-2003, 07:53 PM
"To Kill a Mockingbird" by Harper Lee and "Far From the Madding Crowd" by Thomas Hardy. I think I could probably put "The Shining" by Stephen King on there too.

dukedogsmom
09-07-2003, 08:03 PM
The Stand by Stephen King.

delidog
09-07-2003, 08:06 PM
All Creatures Great and Small...Trilogy..James Herriot

Life in Provence..Peter Maille

The Lord of the Rings...J.R.R.Tolkien
and his classmate:

The Lion,The Witch and the Wardrobe..C.S.Lewis
The Screwtape Letters...C.S.Lewis
The Martian Chronicles...C.S.Lewis

How Green Was My Valley...Richard LLewelyn

Black Beauty

There are Too Many to list!!!

moosmom
09-07-2003, 08:10 PM
Bridges of Madison County. I cried when I read it and cried again when I saw the movie. Clint Eastwood, who played the photographer, is so handsome and reminded me so much of my Dad, who was also a photographer.

Crikit
09-07-2003, 08:17 PM
Obasan by Joy Kogawa or The Princess Bride by William Golding

If you want a good dog book A Dog's Year by Jon Katz is also very good, espeically for all the BC lovers out there.

binka_nugget
09-07-2003, 08:25 PM
My all time favourite is A Walk To Remember. :D It's nothing like the movie.

The Cat Factory
09-07-2003, 08:27 PM
The Lord Of The Rings Trilogy and The Hobbit by J.R.R Tolkien :D

Cookiebaker
09-07-2003, 09:05 PM
Originally posted by binka_nugget
My all time favourite is A Walk To Remember. :D It's nothing like the movie.

I *so* agree with you!! I liked the book much better. My Mom-in-law lent it to me with the warning "keep a box of tissues handy" I was reading thru it and kept thinking, "WHY? I'm not crying" ...

...And then I got to near the end. Whoa was she right!

I also loved "To Kill A Mockingbird" (We recently saw a play of it in Burlington, VT. They did an awesome job and it was exactly as I imagined the book)

Growing up, my favorite set was Anne of Green Gables :o I wore those books OUT!!

Karen
09-07-2003, 09:19 PM
Too many to list, but here's a few:

Nonfiction:
Blue Highways by William Least Heat Moon
The Eternal Frontier by Tim Flannery

Fiction:
Most works by Robert Heinlein
Dune series by Frank Herbert, including the prequels by his son
The Diamond Age by Neal Stephenson
The Otherland series by Tad Williams
Ender's Game (and the continuing series) by Orson Scott Card
The Secret Garden by Frances Hodgson Burnett
Works by Tolkein, Ray Bradbury ...

was I supposed to choose one? :eek:

Uabassoon
09-07-2003, 09:43 PM
Breakfast of Champions and Slaughter house Five. A Clockwork Orange however I read the books years before I saw the movie, my parents wouldn't allow me to watch it, it wasn't until I moved away that I finally got to see the movie.

delidog
09-07-2003, 10:00 PM
Uabassoon
I didn't list "Clockwork Orange" on this site because of its' content...
But it is By Far My Favorite Book/Movie of All time....
I saw it when I lived in England,before it came here and got cut ...
So many scenes gone... The book is Great!!!

CathyBogart
09-07-2003, 10:02 PM
I LOVE reading, so I've got a lot of favorites too, but here's a few:

ALL of Terry Goodkind's books. (Sword of Truth series)

The Day of the Triffids by John Wyndham (This was originally published in 1951, but is still an EXCELLENT sci-fi, and they're reprinting it now. I just finished reading my new copy today!)

Deerskin by Robin McKinley (A MUST for dog people!)

And of course, the Harry Potter books. :p

Oh, and luckies mentioned Tailchaser's Song....WONDERFUL read for cat people!

Kfamr
09-07-2003, 10:03 PM
Originally posted by mugsy
"To Kill a Mockingbird" by Harper Lee

That book made me SO SO mad.

Aspen and Misty
09-07-2003, 10:21 PM
The White Dragon by Anne Mcafrey (SP)

Ash

shais_mom
09-08-2003, 12:40 AM
Fear Nothing and Seize the Night by Dean Koontz.

Where the Red Fern Grows. by ???

CathyBogart
09-08-2003, 01:06 AM
OH! I forgot to mention Susan Kay's "Phantom". I've worn out my copy from re-reading so many times...

luckies4me
09-08-2003, 01:08 AM
Originally posted by shais_mom
Fear Nothing and Seize the Night by Dean Koontz.

Where the Red Fern Grows. by ???

Heh another Dean Koontz lover! Have you read Watchers?

ANd I so forgot about where the Red Fern Grows! I should go buy it and read it again! :)

Foam
09-08-2003, 01:09 AM
Summer of the Monkeys
-
It Happened To Nancy
-
Go Ask Alice
-
Street Bound (Story I'm currently writing..)

luckies4me
09-08-2003, 01:11 AM
Shais_Mom, do you remember the title for the book by Dean Koontz, which is about a young boy who is crazy because he accidently killed his baby brother, and his mom drove him mad, and he tried to kill everyone? It is one of my favorite books! However I can never remember the name of the title.

The kid would always say, "That's a popper". Do you know what I am talking about? I know the book sounds creepy lol but it's really a good book, however very sad. I always felt so bad for that boy. :(

Ally Cat's Mommy
09-08-2003, 01:43 AM
Gone with the Wind

Earth's Children series by Jean M Auel

All Deric Longdens books (great for cat lovers)

Alice In Wonderland / Through the Looking Glass

The Railway Children

shais_mom
09-08-2003, 12:17 PM
No Sorry Cass, I am not familiar with that one.
:confused:
I do like Dean Koontz, and James Patterson, John Sanford, Sandra Brown. And the Alex Delaware series, I can never remember the author's name, weird b/c I used to collect the books. :confused:
Yes I have read Watchers, very very very good!!
Is the Golden in the movie? I may have to hunt that movie up and watch it!
I also liked Thinner by Stephen King. Been awhile since I read it tho.

primabella
09-08-2003, 03:06 PM
Any Agatha Cristie novel especially "Evil Under the Sun" and "A Murder is Announced". :)

bluekat
09-08-2003, 05:35 PM
HARRY POTTER!!!!!:D:D:D Those are my favorites, along with some others, but I love Harry Potter:D

Desert Arabian
09-08-2003, 05:45 PM
I LOVE the Lord of the Rings triology. Of the three, The Return of the King is my all time favorite, but I love the Fellowship of the Ring and The Two Towers too.

:D :D

I can't wait til the movie comes out, I am getting my tickets in November again and getting to the theater at 12:00. hehe. It's too long of a wait.....:p

catland
09-08-2003, 06:23 PM
Originally posted by dukedogsmom
The Stand by Stephen King.

Same here. I don't know when I've read such a compelling book - I couldn't put it down and its over 1000 pages.:eek:

I also liked the Ender series, some more than others - I think that "Speaker of the Dead" was my favorite out of that group.

Cincy'sMom
09-08-2003, 09:26 PM
Originally posted by shais_mom
I do like Dean Koontz, and James Patterson, John Sanford, Sandra Brown. And the Alex Delaware series, I can never remember the author's name, weird b/c I used to collect the books. :confused:

Alex Delaware series is Jonathon Kellerman. ( I had never read any of them, til you gave me them at the Park...I really like them!)

My favorites are Jeffery Deaver, James Patterson, Jonathon Kellerman, Katherine Neville, Virgina Lanier, Susan Conant, and on and on and on

RubyMutt
09-08-2003, 11:29 PM
LOTR triology & "The Hobbit" by JRR Tolkein

and also

"Night" by Elie Wiesel

MammaMangorin
09-09-2003, 08:55 AM
All books writed by Liza Marklund :D

PJ's Mom
09-09-2003, 09:23 AM
Originally posted by mugsy
"To Kill a Mockingbird" by Harper Lee

Excellent book! :)

My favorite is actually a series, not just one book. It's the Dragon Prince/Dragon Star series superbly written by Melanie Rawn. I've never in my life read such well-written characters! :)

countrycowgirl
01-12-2004, 04:25 PM
I LOVE TO READ SO THERE IS TOO MANY BOOKS TO COUNT:rolleyes: BUT HERE IS A FEW

I LOVE ALL OF THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS
I LOVE THE LORD OF THE RINGS BOOKS
I LOVE ALL OF THE LONESOME DOVE BOOKS
I ALSO LOVE THE LOUIS L'AMOUR BOOKS :D :D :D :p ;) :) :D

K9soul
01-12-2004, 04:40 PM
Oh boy (just noticed this thread). I read A LOT, and love reading novels. It would be near impossible to pick just one favorite.

The James Herriot books are definitely classics, I have read those books at least 3 times.

Stephen King's The Stand was probably my favorite SK book. He's a very talented author.

I've read a lot of fantasy and particularly liked George R. R. Martin's Song of Ice and Fire series (which I'm waiting anxiously for the next book on), and Robin Hobbs' Farseer Trilogy and Liveship Traders.

By the way, the Farseer Trilogy's main character can communicate telepathically to animals. It's very engrossing.

slleipnir
01-13-2004, 10:27 PM
Hmm..I dont know that I have a 'favorite' I really liked 'Speaking in Tounges' by Jeffery Dever..also Manhatten is my Beat also by Jeffery Dever. Hm. I like Dick Francis..I read my dads books lol..He reads -so- much -_- so I steal his sometimes..lol

Also I like -althought I'm not finished- Shogun by James Clavells.
I liked Macbeth and Hamlet..for some reason I didn't enjoy Romeo and Juliet though...don't know why..

I heard Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy is really good. I've been meaning to read it but never do..not sure who wrote it.

GoldenRetrLuver
01-13-2004, 10:34 PM
I've just started reading a book called "The Dog Who Spoke with Gods". It's VERY good so far.

If anyone's interested, this is the little "introduction" that tells you a bit about it first.

"When Elizabeth, a young premed student, happens upon Damien, a dog being used in laboratory research on her campus, she has no way of knowing how drastically her life--and her beliefs--will be changed. Without meaning to, she slowly becomes drawn into the dog's fate and is soon torn between the love and respect she has come to feel for Damien and the sence of loyalty and obligation she feels for the medical profession as well as her father and grandfather, both cardiac surgeons."

Damien by the way, is a Pit Bull. :)

Cheshirekatt
01-13-2004, 11:07 PM
Wicked by Gregory Maguire

Maia by Richard Adams

Jaws by Peter Benchley

:D

petlover
01-13-2004, 11:33 PM
I REALLY love Seabiscuit. I have read the book twice. It is very much like the movie, but is better. I say that because it tells more then the movie does. The movie left out a lot. Seabiscuit has inspired me. A LOT.

Also, A Walk To Remember is also one of my FAVORITE FAVORITE books. I absolutely adore the movie too. Each time I read it, I sit still and it keeps me wondering and waiting. Even if I had read it before, the feelings always come back, just like in Seabiscuit.:)

Corinna
01-13-2004, 11:49 PM
My favorite animal books are about a bunch of collies they were written by Albert Payson Terhune. My mom read them as a kid, I fell in love with them too
For fiction and fun I love Hitty; Her first hundred years. It too is old written about the time as "The secret Garden "
I can't remember the auther of Hitty but it is a bout a small hand carved wooden doll and her adventures.
I guess both the Terhune books and Hitty are making come backs in the book world I just had my daughter call me a cople days ago and say she saw Hitty in one of the local new book stores. Funny how things cycle back. (shutter, BELL BOTTOMS)

tikeyas_mom
01-14-2004, 12:06 AM
All the lord of the rings books.. and the hobbit

joycenalex
01-14-2004, 07:18 AM
WOW!! some of these suggestions, i've read, but the ones i haven't will be on the list that i'm taking to the library on thursday night. hey kayann? why did to kill a mockingbird make you mad?

RICHARD
01-14-2004, 11:32 AM
The one I have in my hand at the moment???;)

2kitties
01-14-2004, 11:35 AM
1. Bastard Out Of Carolina- Dorothy Allison

2. The Weight of Water- Anita Shreve

3. Fall On Your Knees- Ann Marie MacDonald

slick
01-14-2004, 11:42 AM
Watership Down

Kirsten
01-14-2004, 12:01 PM
I think my most favorite book is "The Pillars of the Earth" by Ken Follet. He's one of my favorite authors anyway! :)

Kirsten

K9soul
01-14-2004, 12:04 PM
Originally posted by Corinna
My favorite animal books are about a bunch of collies they were written by Albert Payson Terhune. My mom read them as a kid, I fell in love with them too

Oh I how could I forget! These books I read as a kid too, and LOVED them. They are also what helped me to fall in love with the collie breed. I had read them all before I got my first collie, Cody and my second, Willie. You could just feel his love of his dogs when you read those books.

I also very recently read Shogun and other Clavell novels. I have very much enjoyed them, and have actually learned a lot about Japanese and Chinese cultures. I have found them very fascinating and well written. I'm in the middle of Noble House at the moment.

GoldenRetrLuver, that book sounds really interesting too. I'll have to check that out!

I'm also curious why To Kill a Mockingbird made you angry Kay? :p. I haven't read it since high school but I remember enjoying the book.

I read The Jungle for a history class in college, it was quite an eye opener for that era in America (during the Great Depression). It's historical fiction, the characters aren't real, but the situation and conditions were all real.

A series I really enjoyed by Steven R. Lawhead was The Pendragon Cycle. His version of Arthurian legend, exceptionally written and totally engaging and hard to put down. I have read that series twice now.

petlover
01-14-2004, 12:33 PM
And how could I forget The Angel by My Side. So touching. I cry through so many parts. Here is something that tells a little bit about it.

"The partnership between Mike and Dakota was astonishing, humbling, beyond description.-and absolutely true. The remarkable story about a man and a dog has volumes to teach us about healing,devotion, and the mysterious and numinous bond of one soul to another. Must-reading for anyone who has ever loved - or been loved- by a dog. For skeptics of the human-animal bond, this book will make you a convert!"

It is so good. I think we all should read it. It's a really great book. And so true.:)