PDA

View Full Version : Update on the fire

wolfsoul
09-07-2003, 12:00 PM
The fire was under control last week, but it's back out of control again. You can see a portion of it from my road. It's heading my way again. :rolleyes: 9000 people are evacuated, thousands more are on alert. The fire has burned down 9 of the Kettle Valley tressels, which are one of Kelowna's oldest and most historic sites, built in 1910. They are also one of our best tourist attractions, and now half of them are burned to a crisp. :(

There is a smoking ban now, you are no longer allowed to smoke in parks or wooded areas. Cigarettes have been driving firefighters nuts all week because careless people keep starting fires with them.

My dad has been evacuated again. This upsets me because I don't think that they'd bring the animals with them (the animals I still haven't been able to show to you because my dad won't call me :( ). The van and the suzuki are both broken. And there is no way they'd be able to pack a large dog, a rat tank, two cats, and two quails in the lazer, especially when they don't even have any kennels. They don't even bring the dog places because they say he's too big. Jeez.

My grandma was visited by a bear this morning. It was driven down from the fire. And coyotes have been visiting her all week. She saw the bear when she noticed a few of her ducks suddenly zoomed down the hill, and she saw a bear chasing them. The bear chased away some of her other ducks too, and the coyotes got them :( So she's been letting one of her dogs at a time run loose to keep the bears away (Hildy -- bouvier/ lab cross, Nicki -- german shepherd/ collie cross. Gorgeous dogs).

All of the camping and huinting areas are either burned down or evacuated and unaccesible.

I'll keep you updated! :)

Barbara
09-07-2003, 12:27 PM
I immediately thought of you when I heard from our newspaper this week that the fire is back to Kelowna.
I hope that an autumn rain comes soon. We had the hottest summer here for ages but it's over now and you learn how important water is!

I hope you and your family pull through and that your houses and any other be spared:)

wolfsoul
09-07-2003, 01:02 PM

The other nine tressels are gone. :( Nine were gone two hours ago, now the other nine are gone. That's really too bad. We are losing so many tourists and now we've just lost 18 of our best tourist attractions.