A woman in the Rocky Mountains region in the US is suing a pet store in
Roanoke after skidding in dog slobber causing damage to her knee. Mary
Lee Sowder is claiming compensation of at least $200,000 for injuries from
PetsMart, whose manager, Kelly Carruthers, brought in his "large canine'
whose name or breed cannot be disclosed under state law. "The canine left
a foreign substance described as 'dog slobber' on the floor, and failed to
warn shoppers," says the claim, not specifying if the failure was down to
the dog, or someone else.

This is under the same category of the woman who got hot coffe at McDonalds!! Altho if they knew it -it should have been mopped up.
My grandma has fallen twice over the years in public places once at McDonalds and once at a high school and broken both knee caps, had to have extensive surgery, and she didn't sue!!
We have such a sue me society it is so sad.

3-greys-and-a-mutt
07-28-2001, 07:15 PM
This upsets me, because I fear that it might lead to pets not being allowed in pet stores anymore!
Our doggies love to go shopping with us, and, yes, they have peed in the store :rolleyes: , but we've been responsible and cleaned it up, and told the store workers. It would be really awful if they couldn't go shopping with us anymore!

shais_mom
07-28-2001, 07:34 PM
I agree, Shai loves Pet Supplies Plus, the sign reads Pets Bring your People Too!!!
I had her in there once and she grabbed a beef patty and ate it so fast, I told the cashier, and she looked Surprised and said most people wouldn't admit to it Thank you. I said Hey I worked retail for 3 years, I know how people can be!!!

jackiesdaisy1935
07-28-2001, 08:15 PM
I agree, if she was in a pet store what did she expect? No Pets. That is what is happening in society today so many people are sue happy. It would be a shame if the stores would not let pets in because of something like this happening. :(
Jackie

Rottie
07-28-2001, 08:33 PM
:mad: Before we know it, we won't be able to bring our furry guys into the pet stores with us.

aly
07-28-2001, 09:06 PM
People are just too money-hungry and greedy. An automatic door in Wal-Mart broke one time and sliced open my foot. I had to sit in the entryway and wrap my cousin's shirt around my foot because it was bleeding heavily. I was just going to hop up and go to the doctor but an employee saw me and they took GOOD care of me. They were soo afraid I was going to sue them I think. I wasn't even thinking about suing them but they were nice and gave me some gift certificates :)

I wish we could bring our dogs to the grocery store and restaurants. I know a lot of people think it wouldn't be very sanitary but I hate to leave my babies at home when I go places they aren't allowed. If I had my way, they'd come to school with me.

Speaking of pottying in pet stores, Harley got in the habit of pooping in the entryway of PetSmart. I ALWAYS take the dogs potty before we go to the store, but Harley thought it was a great game to poop there! I always cleaned up after him too. Reece always smells the corners where other dogs have peed in the store and wants to pee there too. I just keep a close eye on him and give a gentle tug on the leash if his leg starts to lift.

Daisy's Mom
07-28-2001, 09:26 PM
Thats pathetic. It sounds like a joke! If they ban dogs from going to stores, Daisy and I will be very upset. Hello, lady!! Pet store = pets and all that they include!

Pam
07-29-2001, 08:48 AM
While this may be a bit off the subject, I was just reading in my local paper today about a woman suing the Kellogg company and Black and Decker because she put a Pop Tart in her toaster oven and then forgot about it and went and took her daughter to nursery school. Apparently it caused a house fire while she was away. The paper said that Pop Tart boxes have a warning that reads that consumers should not leave their toasters unattended due to the possible risk of fire. I think people are getting "sue happy" because some lawyers will take on anything. Also people don't seem to want to take responsibility for their actions. While it is certainly a shame that the person fell on the dog slobber, I think a law suit should only be necessary if the person has no health insurance and therefore can't cover their medical bills. The problem is that people get way out of hand with the amounts they try to recover in these suits. I agree that it would be a shame to ban pets at these stores. I love shopping at PetsMart and seeing so many wonderful pets shopping with their people too. :) Maybe employees will keep a more cautious eye out for anything like that in the future.

MHMama
07-29-2001, 09:38 AM
We have taken Ricky (long-haired chihuahua) to Petsmart since he was a little puppy. People always come up and want to pet him or whatever. I would hate to loose that options since it is one of the reasons he is so good with people. Chihuahuas are not always friendly towards strangers but because of the exposure he gets at these kind of stores, Ricky is. He hasn't left any presents at the store but then I have to keep him in the shopping cart so the big dogs don't get him. He does love to "leave his mark" right outside the store though. :rolleyes:

AdoreMyDogs
07-29-2001, 10:34 PM
I am embarressed at how sue crazy people are nowadays. Every day when I drive to the house I am fixing up I see 3 huge billboard signs, all with advertisers for law offices. The one that I can't stand the most, and I try to avoid looking at it everytime I drive by it, is a huge yellow sign with black letters (nice and eye catching) is a sign that says, "call 1-800-I SUE BIG. It disgusts me. It's almost embarressing to be in the same species as the people who look for some way to sue someone so they can get rich. Makes me sick. Sueing for slipping on dog slobber in a pet store...if I were a judge I would love to just laugh in the face at people who come up with these stupid law suits.

ownerof3dogs
07-29-2001, 10:58 PM
Don't people have better things to do?

Stenograsaurus
07-30-2001, 09:30 AM
I had taken my Shepherd/collie mix to superpetz one time. We were checking out and my foster daugher had her on her leash. Some lady started walking by, looked at Patience and jumped. She looked at my foster daughter and told her to "keep a hold of her real good". I thought, this is a pet store where you can bring pets. If you're afraid of dogs, stay out.
I know what you all mean about sue happy people. The good thing about it is that I never have to worry about losing my job with all the money hungry sue happy people out there.

Tanya&Fritz
07-30-2001, 09:49 AM
What about the guy with lung cancer who sued the tobacco company? I couldn't believe that one :eek:

wolflady
07-30-2001, 11:38 AM
Well said, Adore! It really is amazing at all the stupid things that people sue over. So much so, that now...anybody selling anything anywhere has to cover their butt and put labels on everything...."do not use while sleeping"....I still don't get that one...LOL
Really, it's so sad that some people are the way they are. Personally, I'm not into money and materialism (and believe me, there is a LOT of that out here in Silicon Valley) and I can't see how people can be so greedy. Sure, I want to live a comfortable life, but I would volunteer my time and resources in rescue or some other organization with animals(wolf eduction center)...even though I'm not getting paid...but I would love it more than the job I have now!!
Unfortunately...I do have to support myself out here...ugh Maybe in a few years if I decide to move back to the midwest I will seriously think about going that route. But right now, I'm perfectly content being the "average joe" in the income dept.

I agree...the coffee thing and the tobacco thing were a little far fetched...as is this slipping in dog slobber thing! Ok, sorry but coffe is supposed to be hot and there have been caution labels on cigarette packs for years! I can't believe that guy won!
I slipped and fell when I was hiking in a state park...does that count?? Jeesh! I wouldn't be surprised if someone tried THAT one! :mad:
I guess all petstores are going to have to put up caution signs if they are going to continue to allow people to bring their pets to stores to avoid further annoyances such as this... :rolleyes:

Pam
07-30-2001, 05:55 PM
Karen...LOL "Do not use while sleeping." That cracks me up so bad!! :D :D

wolflady
07-30-2001, 06:14 PM
Pam, LOL :D I know! I'll never forget when my friend and I saw that actually written as a warning on her crimping iron...we couldn't figure that one out!!! We laughed and laughed over it...wow...that was when I was in junior high! YIKES!! :D :D

Pam
07-30-2001, 06:59 PM
Or the one on the Sominex or Nytol box (I can't remember which one) which says "may cause drowsiness!" DUH! :D :D :D Who writes these things! hehe!

[ July 30, 2001: Message edited by: Pam ]