PDA

View Full Version : Handicapped Drivers

dukedogsmom
09-05-2003, 05:53 PM
My first question is, why are they driving in the first place?? Some of the worst drivers I've seen have had that familiar blue tag hanging from their rearview mirror. While on my dog transport the other day, I saw someone with a handicapped license plate. I was on I4(that's bad enough) but this person was excessively speeding and cutting in and out of traffic. Now I realise not all handicapped people drive like this but I've sure seen a lot of them.

sammi
09-05-2003, 06:12 PM
Why not drive? I have "one of those blue handicapped tags" and it has nothing to do with my driving - nor do I have anything physicaly wrong with my limbs. Many people work full time and are young that are handicapped for many reasons.
But, no I don't drive like hell either!

tomkatzid
09-05-2003, 06:20 PM
BAD Drivers are BAD drivers, with or with out a licence.

The blue tag may not have even belonged to the driver of the car. People are not 'handicapped' in their driving either. When I take my Mom, in Oregon, to the Dr. it allows us to park close so she won't have to walk far. She doesn't even know how to drive.
Some of the worst drivers I've seen have no 'blue' tag hanging in their car.

Fox-Gal
09-05-2003, 06:27 PM
Originally posted by dukedogsmom
My first question is, why are they driving in the first place?? Some of the worst drivers I've seen have had that familiar blue tag hanging from their rearview mirror.

It's Florida we have the tourist the elderly and the handicapped drivers. It's just Florida way of keeping us alert and our drive skills sharp. ;)

I haven't really had to many problems with handicapp drives but I do think that it would be a good idea if they where required to take a driving test and little more offen, just to be safe.

Years ago my friend tried to get her father's license away. He had Alzheimer and we had found him two counties away when he was just going to the corner store. He didn't even know where he was. She was told that there was nothing they could do till he caused an accident.

So they need to hurts or worse kills someone then their license will be taking away....till then stay away from the blue tags.

sammi
09-05-2003, 06:31 PM
Sorry I forgot to say: The blue parking tags have NOTHING to do with driving - it's the PARKING! The blue tags are illegal to drive with hanging from your mirror (at least here).

Drivers with a handicap in driving is something totally different - and I don't think they have any special signs to tell the public.

Soledad
09-05-2003, 06:33 PM
I think this is a really horrible statement to make. Just because you see a few drivers who piss you off with a handicapped sticker does not mean handicapped people should not be able to drive. That's a terribly unfair assumption to make.

Fox-Gal
09-05-2003, 06:42 PM
Oh I forgot to mention......I drove with one of those blue tags for awhile after my accident and I'm not a bad driver. It's the driver that bad, blue tag or not.

I think it a driver that so unsure about them self that are the the problem drivers. They scare me more then any others.

dukedogsmom
09-05-2003, 06:44 PM
You must have missed my last sentence. And I agree with someone else who said "bad drivers are bad drivers" handicapped or not.

tomkatzid
09-05-2003, 06:52 PM
Originally posted by sammi
The blue parking tags have NOTHING to do with driving - it's the PARKING! Drivers with a handicap in driving is something totally different - and I don't think they have any special signs to tell the public.

So true.

As I stated before , my Mom has a blue tag. She does not drive, never learned, doesn't own a car. I use the tag to park so she won't have to walk so far to the door of her Dr. I live in another state than my Mom so when I go to visit, we need the blue permit for PARKING at the Dr's office. She can't even go in a store, only to the Dr.'s appt's. I do not abuse it to park on my own. It is her permit for parking, not mine. The reason I leave it in the window while driving is so I won't forget to hang it when we do park.
Katz

Kfamr
09-05-2003, 07:04 PM
My father has "one of those blue handicapped tags" as well. He drives just like any other person. He uses it when he is parked, which it IS against the law down here to have it up while driving.

He cannot walk far distances because he has a horrible back. So, he uses this to get a spot up front se he doesn't have to walk far and kill himself with pain.

Why drive?

Handicapped people have to get places too!

Kfamr
09-05-2003, 07:06 PM
But, I do agree.. Florida has some crazy drivers. My brother being one of them! :p :rolleyes:

primabella
09-05-2003, 07:25 PM
Some of the most idiotic drivers I have seen have been talking on their cell phone, applying make-up, smoking a cigarette or short old people who can't see over the wheel.

I don't think being handicapped has anything to do with it at all. It's just...can you drive like a civilized person or not?

Kfamr
09-05-2003, 07:28 PM
LOL.. That reminds me, The WORST thing i've seen was a girl with her leg over the steering wheel, SHAVING! :eek:

primabella
09-05-2003, 07:32 PM
LOL :D

babolaypo65
09-05-2003, 08:35 PM
Your subject is "handicapped drivers". The first sentence is: "why are they driving in the first place?"
The thesis statement you have decided upon then is: handicapped people should not drive. If that is NOT your thesis statement (why you are writing) then change either the subject or the first sentence. The post as it is is discriminatory. It's insensitive. It's wrong.

I hope you never have to have the blue tags. If you do, I hope you encounter people who are more understanding.

Blue tags have nothing to do with driving abilities.

Ps. If myself and others are "taking" your post in a manner you did not intend, review your post. I'm not normally one who intends to be hurtful in my posts, but yours.... well, I just felt something needed to be said.

Soledad
09-05-2003, 08:36 PM
AMEN, babolaypo65!!!

momoffuzzyfaces
09-06-2003, 12:26 PM
Originally posted by Kfamr
My father has "one of those blue handicapped tags" as well. He drives just like any other person. He uses it when he is parked, which it IS against the law down here to have it up while driving.

He cannot walk far distances because he has a horrible back. So, he uses this to get a spot up front se he doesn't have to walk far and kill himself with pain.

Why drive?

Handicapped people have to get places too! You took the words right out of my mouth. I have one of the blue tags too. I can't walk far but am totally able to drive a car. I wouldn't be allowed behind the wheel if I wasn't. By the way, why do healthy people steal our parking places? I never take a space up front that a healthy person is entitled to, unless the handicapped spaces are full (usually of healthy lazy people).:rolleyes:

catland
09-06-2003, 12:59 PM
I have a cousin who was paralyzed in a car accident over thirty years ago (she was 19 years old) and is a paraplegic. She drives with hand controls. She won't even use handicapped parking if she can find a parking spot with enough room to get her wheel chair out of the car.

I know of people with handicapped stickers because they might have a heart condition or they are fine but its a family member who has ill health and can't walk long distances.

I'm more concerned about the person driving the big SUV while chatting on their cell phone than someone with a handicapped sticker.

and I NEVER park in a handicapped spot - not even for a minute. I count my blessings that I have my health and gladly walk the extra distance.

Tonya
09-09-2003, 09:05 PM
My problem isn't as much as handicap drivers...It's the old folks! The DMV needs to keep a closer eye on them and not renew their licenses so easy. A few weeks ago, I was at a stop light. This old old old old man turned left through a red light onto a one way street. It was pretty obvious the street was one way being that a dozen cars were coming straight at him. It felt like myself and all the other cars laid on our horns for an enternity before he reacted. Then he slowly but surely did a three point turn and got off the road. :eek:

momoffuzzyfaces
09-10-2003, 12:29 PM
Originally posted by Tonya
My problem isn't as much as handicap drivers...It's the old folks! The DMV needs to keep a closer eye on them and not renew their licenses so easy. Yeah, but they need to keep closer tabs on the youngsters too!!!! Maybe wait until they are at least 21 for a license.:rolleyes:

2kitties
09-10-2003, 01:16 PM
I HATE it when unhandicapped people park in handicapped parking spaces. That is so rude and disrespectful. And, I've seen plenty of people park there who have the proper tag, but no visible problem walking or getting around. I think the handicapped spaces should be for people who have problems walking or who can't carry their bags , etc. Not for people who don't have any mobility issues.

My mom has a handicapped tag for use when she drives my grandmother places. She NEVER uses it when my grandmother isn't with her. But you'd be surprised how many people would use it. She's actually been offered money for it by some loser.:eek:

There are also spaces reserved around here for expecting mothers. I think that is great. But I don't think you should park there if you're in your FIRST TRIMESTER! If you're not showing, then park like the rest of us. :)

Kfamr
09-10-2003, 01:45 PM
As for older drivers -- I'm more afraid of kids my age driving, and people like my brother. Speeding and swerving (sp?) in and out of lanes because they don't have any patients.

babolaypo65
09-10-2003, 03:12 PM
You have a right to call the police, or parking enforcement if someone who is NOT disabled parks in a designated space. The parking permit is assigned to the PERSON not to the VEHICLE. That's why they are now primarily mirror-hung placards and not license plates. The American's with Disabilities Act states clearly that the spaces are for disabled individuals, not for individuals who have placards.
I have called parking enforcement in the past.

Originally posted by 2kitties
I HATE it when unhandicapped people park in handicapped parking spaces. That is so rude and disrespectful. And, I've seen plenty of people park there who have the proper tag, but no visible problem walking or getting around. I think the handicapped spaces should be for people who have problems walking or who can't carry their bags , etc. Not for people who don't have any mobility issues.

My mom has a handicapped tag for use when she drives my grandmother places. She NEVER uses it when my grandmother isn't with her. But you'd be surprised how many people would use it. She's actually been offered money for it by some loser.:eek:

There are also spaces reserved around here for expecting mothers. I think that is great. But I don't think you should park there if you're in your FIRST TRIMESTER! If you're not showing, then park like the rest of us. :)

Tonya
09-10-2003, 03:16 PM
Yeah, but they need to keep closer tabs on the youngsters too!!!! Maybe wait until they are at least 21 for a license

I totally agree. Flashing back ten years, I would have been devastated if my mom made me wait, and I would have sworn that I was mature enough...But looking back on it and looking at my sister and brothers drive, I think the age should be 18. Alot (not all) of highschool age kids think that they are invincible.

babolaypo65
09-10-2003, 03:51 PM
My state FINALLY started a "graduated" license system. Depending on age, and experience you are permitted to do different kinds of driving. With someone, alone-but day time, alone- at night...
its really helped here.

Originally posted by Tonya
I totally agree. Flashing back ten years, I would have been devastated if my mom made me wait, and I would have sworn that I was mature enough...But looking back on it and looking at my sister and brothers drive, I think the age should be 18. Alot (not all) of highschool age kids think that they are invincible.

Stenograsaurus
09-17-2003, 01:51 PM
Originally posted by 2kitties

Have you ever been pregnant? I have carried two babies. I had sooo much trouble during the first trimester with my second pregnancy. I would have loved to have avoided a long walk. Walking aggravated all my symptoms. So even though I was not showing, I was miserable.

My uncle was shot in the back while hunting when he was 21 years old and he is a paraplegic as a result of it. He is now 68 years old. He has never had an accident because he's handicapped. Why does he drive? Because he doesn't like to depend on others. He has bills to pay and places to go. He has to drive.

jackiesdaisy1935
09-18-2003, 06:12 PM
I also have a blue tag and handicapped plates and I am pretty old. I consider my self a good driver. In fact I have never had a ticket in the last forty years, how many of you young people can say that? I live a few miles from a freeway here in California where 8 teenagers were killed racing in two separate accidents within two weeks last year. As Sammi has said the blue tag is for people who have trouble walking, so that one can park close to do the same things that healthy people can do.

It doesn't matter whether you are young or old, it is how you drive. I have a cell phone but I don't use it when I'm driving, I don't look in the mirror to put makeup on because I'm late for work, I don't sip coffee while I'm driving, I don't light up a cigarette, I don't smoke, I don't yell at my kids while I'm driving, I have my dogs strapped in seat-belts in the back seat, I concentrate on my driving and I wish a lot of you who complain about old people would do the same, just remember you will be old one day too and I hope you can drive as well as I do right now, lol.

Jackie, Perry and Miss Daisy

Crikit
09-18-2003, 08:38 PM
My dad got his license back a few months ago after having his stroke a little over a year ago. He had to be retested and had madifications done to his car in order for him to drive it. Because he only has the use of one arm he now has a knob on the steering wheel for turning (like the truckers use) and a modification on his turning signals that lets him use his right hand to signal.

Before the stroke my father had a class one license, which in Alberta is the highest class you can get, it meant he could drive anything from an emergency vehicle to a motorcycle and he did it quiet well. On his retest the tester informed my father that he drives better then quite a few people with the use of both hands.

I'm not saying that my father is a perfect driver, now he is far from it, he forgets to signal at times, drifts a little bit while in the lane and other little things like that. But the only time he drives is in the city my mother will not let him drive on long trips.