PDA

View Full Version : Panda Cam

gini
09-05-2003, 01:37 PM
Are any of you following the Panda Cam from the San Diego Zoo.

There are live pictures of Bai Yun's new cub that are out of this world.

http://www.sandiegozoo.org/pandas/pandacam/index.html

Kater
09-05-2003, 01:47 PM
WOW! Amazing! I can see baby and mommy interacting so clearly! :) SO CUTE!

It's so sad that we have to have "breeding programs" for these maginificent creatures. I really don't like to see a wild animal in a cage. :(

gini
09-05-2003, 01:52 PM
I agree with you Kater, but I believe the father of this cub was rescued from the wild in China. He came in injured more than likely by another Panda.

The San Diego Zoo works very closely with China to assure that this species will continue to exist.

Bai Yun has it made........beautiful gardens, trees, plenty of food, no competition and great care.

She has turned out to be an amazing mother.

Kater
09-05-2003, 02:04 PM
I should research the background of this particular breeding. It does sound like a special situation.

I have a very special interest in native Chinese animal species. I think it was an HSUS (ASPCA?) magazine that did a recent (within the past year) special on endangered/threatened Chinese animal species. It had fabulous pictures and I just could not stop looking at them. :)

allanimalswelcome
09-05-2003, 02:04 PM
It seems a little unneccesary. There are reservations in China where people study them and they can be protected.

These reserves have been quite succesful in protecting pandas so far. I was reading a magazine article on it and one woman got so close to the pandas on the reserve the mother panda allowed her to touch her baby!

~Rachel

allanimalswelcome
09-05-2003, 02:07 PM
Kater that article I was mentioned previously had a fantastic photo of a panda cub in the palm of someone's hand.

~Rachel

gini
09-05-2003, 02:29 PM
I will still defend this breeding program at the San Diego Zoo.

I am by far, NOT an authority on the subject, but from what I have read, China is excellent at protecting them, but their breeding program was not successful. Because of the research done at our Zoo we were able to work closely with the Chinese in China and assist in improving the birth rate of the pandas.

There are so few of them left around the world - and they are so magnificent, I just rejoice when there is another birth.

Hope you enjoy the live webcam.

zippy-kat
09-05-2003, 02:33 PM
:D How sweet is that?!

(Gini... too bad you don't have Yahoo Messenger... I had K'Cee Cam going last night!)

ILoveMyAbbyGirl
09-06-2003, 06:51 PM
That's so NEAT-O!!! I can see her and she's sleeping... how cool! I will have it minimized until mommy wakes and moves so I can see baby!!!!!!! :D