PDA

View Full Version : has animal control been called on you???

cfuh
09-04-2003, 07:03 AM
i had the most upsetting evening :( :( ...

i was out walking my two doggies when we came upon a man with his dog. my dogs, of course, wanted to play and started pulling on the leashes...i held them back as best as i could (and even leaned on an explorer) but i had to let them go. before i did, i yelled out that i was going to let them go to the man to warn him. my doggies ran towards him barking and he immediately yanked his dog by the leash to pop him into his arms (his dog was smaller) and pulled out his gun and pointed it at my dogs!!! :eek: :eek: i went over to collect my dogs and i told him he was crazy...he said he didn't know what my dogs were going to do, if they were going to attack, etc. i totally agree with him that he felt he had to protect himself but to pull out a gun?!?!?! :mad: :mad:

so we went our separate directions and he said he was going to call on me. i was more pissed than upset at this point...i even called the cops to see if i had a valid complaint. 1.5 hours later, animal control comes knocking on the door. :eek: :eek: the lady gets my info and recommends that i get full control of my dogs and/or walk them separately. she also says i'll be receiving a summons soon.

then i called the cops again and file a complaint...this time the lady says she'll send an officer out to check it cause i told her the lady didn't give her business card when dispatcher asked me about it. at this point, i didn't know if the cop was coming over to my house, etc...then i get a phone call and it was the animal control lady...i felt she was very rude...she eventually tells me that the guy w/ the dog is a George Mason cop and i need to file a complaint with them.

all i can say is that THIS REALLY REALLY SUCKS!!!!!
:mad: :mad:

i just wanna walk my dogs in peace....

thanks for listening. :)

Logan
09-04-2003, 07:17 AM
I agree with you in one sense, that it was a gross overreaction for him to even be carrying a gun, let alone pull it and point it at your dogs. I guess it was legal for him to have the gun since you mentioned he is a police officer.

But I have to agree that if you can't hold on to your two dogs when they become agitated or excited, then it might be better for you to walk one at a time (not nearly as much fun for any of you, I'm sure).

I'm sorry this happened to you. I can imagine that it was very upsetting. I'm just relieved that it didn't have a worse outcome (he could have pulled the trigger).

Logan

tatsxxx11
09-04-2003, 07:51 AM
A GUN??????? OMG! How terrifying!! I can understand the fear someone has when dogs come "charging" at "you." You don't know if the dog is just wanting to play or is vicious and ready to attack. That happens a lot here on our beaches, with lots of dogs running around, some on leash, some not. Most owners try and get control quickly and will yell out that the dog is friendly. But this was an overeaction to put it mildly! It sounds like he had his own dog safely in his arms and I have to think that by the time he pulled out his gun he knew the dogs were not going to attack. It was unfortunate that the dogs got away from you, but you did have them on leashes; they got away from you; it was an "accident." Here, a first "offense" such as that would have warranted a warning by Animal Control with a bit of helpful education on how to better keep the dogs under control while on a leash, perhaps (as she did) suggesting you might need to walk them separately, etc.

I suppose as a police officer he is permitted to "carry" a gun. But I don't think pulling it out was warranted in this circumstance. What if any of OUR dogs had escaped our yards and was running around the neighborhood, getting excited? The dog sees someone walking with their dog and wants to play, running up to them. Would he have shot him/her?? This is the type of potentilly dangerous scenario that sends chills down my spine. Except in situations where someone has a legitimate reason to believe they have an immediate need to protect themselves, I am very much opposed to civilians being permitted to "carry" a handgun on their person or in their car. People perceive a threat, get into arguments, tempers get hot and the next thing you know, someone pulls out a gun and someone's dead. Yesterday, the news reported that some young guy was throwing tomatoes and paint balls at passing cars on a rural country road. One of the cars that was hit stopped and the driver said if he didn't stop, he was going to kill him. The car got hit with another tomatoe. The driver took off but returned almost an hour later...with a gun...and shot the guy dead. They haven't found him yet! Of course the tomatoe thrower was causing a danger and needed to be stopped. But by the police, not by an enraged vigilante.

I'm so sorry you were given such a scare. For your own sake and the dogs' safety, I definitely would try to keep them leashed. This guy must live in your neighborhood and I fear what he would do if it happened again.

pitc9
09-04-2003, 08:24 AM
Wow...I don't know what I would have done...... seeing someone pulling out a gun, I would have thought about running infront of my pups, wow!!

I walk both my pups together everynight, and I'm thankful how good they are, Sierra will tug a little when she sees another dog, but all I do is give her a little pop, and she gets right back in step with us. Buddy.... as long as he feels I am not being threatened...he'll just keep on walking! Once in a while a dog will run down a driveway at us, and Buddy will stand directly in front of me, protecting me!!

I feel so bad for what happened to you, I hope everything works out!!!

kingrattus
09-04-2003, 09:34 AM
Sorry, I have a diffrent opinion (I'm not being mean or rude, just my point of view). I think the cop had every right to pull his gun on ur dogs. Cops unlike regular people, have good training on when to shoot & when to just point. Honestly I think ur very very lucky he didn't shoot ur dogs. I know all too well what its like to have to big dogs come running up to u & barking. I almost peed myself I was so scared, I also ended up picking Sandy (neighbours dog) right onto my shoulders, Sandy was a bout 60+ pounds (I can never remember), with just 1 hand. I got angry at the 2 dogs in fear of my life.

Ur feeling change even more when ur walking ur own dog & 2 larger dogs charge & the owner yells "don't worry their friendly!" & as soon as they reach us (I had Max tucked right up to me), they started to snap & bite Max. Max yelped twice & my anger & fear kicked in, I started to kick the dogs & yelled for the owner to call them off.

Just because ur dog is friendly with u & ur friends doesn't mean their friendly with all strangers.

I'm sorry, but I really don't think the cop is doing anything wrong at all. U should have had them under control.

micki76
09-04-2003, 09:40 AM
Originally posted by cfuh
i was out walking my two doggies when we came upon a man with his dog. my dogs, of course, wanted to play and started pulling on the leashes...i held them back as best as i could (and even leaned on an explorer) but i had to let them go. before i did, i yelled out that i was going to let them go to the man to warn him.

Did you just yell out that you were going to let them go? Or did you yell out that they were friendly and just wanted to play? These are two very different things. For all he knew you were warning him against imminent danger, especially since you were obviously struggling to keep them under control.

I'm sure this won't be popular here, but if you only shouted that you were letting them go and not that they were harmless, I think his reaction was justified. Imagine how many times as an officer that he's been attacked or had criminals send their dogs to attack him.

As has been stated before, if you can't control them when they're both together, I'd strongly suggest you only walk one at a time. I personally get ULTRA pissed when I'm walking my dogs on a leash and someone else isn't, especially if the dog is larger than mine. There's always a nasty encounter and I feel that since my dogs are small and tethered, they're at a much greater risk than the larger dog that's not leashed.

zippy-kat
09-04-2003, 10:20 AM
I guess what I don't understand is why you had to let them go. If they wiggled out of their collars, wiggled out of your arms, just wiggled out... yes I understand that. But to just release them? Perhaps the officer would have perceived it as an accident and reacted less severly had they had wiggled out of your grasp.

My dog is a larger dog and one that I can't easily pick up. And, for the most part, my dog doesn't like other dogs. I can almost garauntee that a fight would've broken out. If a fight ensued and my dog ended up needing major medical attention, well... I don't know what I'd do. I'm not saying I'd sue but I think that would be a legit case if I chose to...

I would, however, probably ask you to cover some of the bills. But that's all hypothetical-didnt' happen so you don't need to worry about it (but definitely something to think about in the future--we're a sue happy society).

I do agree with Micki on the phrasing of the "release statement."

On the flip side of the leash, I can't imagine how scary it would be to have a gun pointed at your furbabe. I do think it's said that a gun is the first thing we reach for when we feel we need to protect against "smaller" dangers and/or when we're angry.

I assume you had collars on them...have you thought about harnesses or halties?

lv4dogs
09-04-2003, 10:58 AM
A gun is riduclus as there are stories out there when cops just shoot dogs that pose no threat so not ALL cops have common sense when to pull the trigger. But some do have have the proper knowledge so that subjest is 1/2 & 1/2, equal I guess. If it was a legal gun even for non-cops than I think it is completley allright that he did what he did.
I do not mean to be rude or cause chaos here but golly geese you just let your dogs (that you can not control obviously) loose on the poor guy & his little dog. I have seen & heard of many "friendly" dogs attacking other people & dogs. And vice versa, what if he had a large dog that was not friendly or his small dog was mean & your dogs just put up with all the little dogs biting then your dogs would have wounds. Dogs are never 100% predictable. What if the man had treats in pocket that your dog could smell that could cause a bad confitation.
I know I would be totally ticked off to no limit if someone just let there dogs loose & they ran up on me like that. I love dogs w/ my all & it would not matter if I was walking alone or w/ 1,2 or all 3 of my dogs I would still be very upset. It may be different if they wiggled out of their collars or some other accidental way they became loose but on purpose?
Most places have leash laws & they are there for a puprose!
I persoanlly think he had every right to call animal control.
I also strongly agree that you should walk the dogs seperatly until they & you are trained to handle eachother properly. Maybe obedience clasases.

Pam
09-04-2003, 10:59 AM
Wow! I got such a mental image I felt like I was there! I have mixed emotions on this one. Years ago my childhood dog was attacked by an unleashed dog (his human was no where in sight, so it was a little different than your story). My dad was walking him and the ensuing fight was horrifying. My mom said my dad came home shaking and our dog was rushed to the vet to get patched up. My first thought was that I would have probably reacted in much the same way as this man, (scared to death! :eek: ! ) although I of course don't carry a gun! Thankfully he didn't totally overreact and use it! Do you remember several months ago there was a story in the news about a police officer who shot a family's dog on a car stop on the highway because it was running toward him! :(

My only suggestion is this. My Bella is a tugger and would prefer that she takes ME on walks instead of the other way around. I invested in a Halti and it has changed things 100%. Your other option would be to enroll your dogs in an obedience school and learn how to take control of them on walks. This is not an overnight cure and it will cost some money but is something you could consider. In the meantime I would certainly walk them separately and, at the least, check out the Haltis or Gentle Leaders at your local pet store. Good luck!

magcpen
09-04-2003, 11:37 AM
My mom screens police officers here in California and all things considered, that man would not be on the force. When we had a police officer talk to us about drugs in Fifth Grade, he took some time to talk about his gun, and he told us that he is to NEVER take out his gun except during DIRE HUMAN CONFRONTATIONS. Police officers carry mace, I think they carry a club, there are tons of options. And a well trained police officer knows not to draw his gun unless the criminal, or in this case, your dogs, don't respond to other weapons. He should be fired from the force, and should have his gun taken away if he can't handle a confrontation with two happy dogs. I mean my mom, who has seen and heard worse than you can imagine gasped when I told her he poulled a gun on the dogs, though neither of us know what a George Mason cop is. At first I thought it was a fake cop...

At first when you said you "Let them go", you meant you loosened your hold, but you actually released them? I have to agree you shouldn't ahve done that, but he should not have pulled his gun on your dogs for that. That is ridiculous and as I've said, should get his suspended fromb the force. If I were scared becuase two dogs were running at me, I'd step away, not draw a gun! (Not that I'd have one).

Uabassoon
09-04-2003, 11:43 AM
I have to admit that if I had a gun I might have pointed it as well. If two big dogs were running up to me I would be scared. If she didn't say that they were friendly how was the man supposed to know? All the man knew was the she couldn't control these two dogs and then she screamed that she was letting them go. And dogs are not like humans you can't reason with them. At least when you are dealing with a human criminal you can talk to them and get a better feel of what they are going to do. But something like this is sudden you don't have time to think. And the man was just looking after himself and his dog. Now don't think that I said I would shoot the dogs because that's not what I ment. But if I were in the situation I would have the gun ready just in case they started to bite or attack.

magcpen
09-04-2003, 11:50 AM
Having the gun ready, and having the gunpointed are to completely different things, and having the gun ready, just in case, is much more appropriate.

My Peanuts
09-04-2003, 01:18 PM
I think that that man's reaction was ridiculous! I looked at your profile and your dogs are not huge. Dogs get away from owners all the time. I do agree that maybe you should walk one at a time if they are hard to handle, but your offense is the lesser of the two. I think that SOME cops let the power of having a gun go to their heads. No one was hurt, he should have not pursed it any further, but then again if he didn't then he wouldn't get another chance to abuse his powers! :mad:

kingrattus
09-04-2003, 01:46 PM
u do ealize that some pitt bulls aren't very large, but we all know thay can pack a powerfull punch. It doesn't just have to do about the size of the dog, some big dogs can't fight very well.

& if the cop was off duty, why would he have a baton or mace? Here in canada u can't carry either of those off duty (same with a gun). Mace is a big no no. No one can carry/buy that without a permit & the same with a baton (I think u can't carry those 2 things in the usa either, I've seen COPS cops take mace from ppl).

& the only reason this will get out of control is because hes a cop.
What if he was an older man? I'm sure ppl wouldn't be attacking him.

& I wish ppl would stop contradicting them selves.
oh he "pulled" a gun he should be suspened from the force.
then, its not that bad if he pulled it out just incase they attacked.

What the hell ppl. He only pointed "incase" the dogs attacked, he didn't shoot them!!! errrrrrrrrrr

mugsy
09-04-2003, 02:51 PM
Yes. I have had animal control called on me before. Numerous times. Our neighbors hate our dogs. They quit coming out until one of the other neighbors called and that's how we ended up having to give up half of our dogs. I agree, AC officers tend to be very high on themselves and the power they have. A couple of ours are very nice, but the woman that I talked to the last time was rather nasty. I detest our AC director and she knows it. She is extremely cold hearted and mean.

As for controlling the dogs. I agree that if you don't have control you shouldn't walk them together. I have lost control of one of ours before, but, I knew it might happened so Mike was there and got them.

As for the gun....my opinion of guns is that they are just a way for a person to feel powerful. I have no use for them, so, my opinion is colored because of that. I don't think the guy should have pulled his gun.

Those are my opinions and are just that, so, I'm sorry if I came on a little strong.

Amber
09-04-2003, 02:54 PM
wow! that has to be one of the terrified things I have ever heard..Having a gun pointed at your dogs? yikes!
When I walk Katie and I see people, kids, and other dog ecpecially bigger dogs I always pick her up and carry her until we pass them.

allanimalswelcome
09-04-2003, 03:42 PM
Yes I have had animal control called over to us.

Leo "bit" a child. The child was teasing him and Leo gave him a little nio.
AC came over and were very nice and told us that as long as it didn't happen again we were fine.

~Rachel

magcpen
09-04-2003, 04:36 PM
I'm just saying he should NOT be frivalous with a gun. I'm not saying I don't understand his response, he just shouldn't be drawing his gun on instinct, that can lead to a horrible accident. And f it werw civilian, older man or not, I would be attacking him harder. It is my strong opinion that no one should carry guns on the street.

RICHARD
09-04-2003, 05:00 PM
well all things considered....

go to court and HOPEFULLY you can fight this.....

the worst part about it is that COPS NEVER LIE!!:rolleyes:

he'll probably cry about feeling his 'life was in danger' or 'self defense'

My bro-in-law was an LAPD cop for years.....and while all cops aren't jerks, the stories he told of being on and off duty did not do anything to endear him to our side of the family.....

good luck and hope things go your way!

tatsxxx11
09-04-2003, 05:15 PM
Well said, magcpen. The more I thought about this today, the more surreal and horrifying the whole scenario became. I remembered back to one day a while ago when I was out with Cody and Star on a walk. It was the first and only walk I ever attempted with a "y" connector. Well, it didn't take long before they each decided they wanted to go their separate ways, at full speed. I tried to hold on as they pulled me through a field. We came to a tree, Star on side, Cody on the other, me headed right for the tree! I HAD to let go. I captured them quickly. But I can't imagine my reaction if they had kept going, running up to another dogwalker and he/she pulled out a gun and pointed it at them, or me. I think I'd have screamed in horror and disbelief. I know for sure, I would run to them to try and protect them instinctively with little regard for my own welfare. When my Jingles and Cody both were attacked by a dog several years ago, I literally threw myself in between them to get the dog off Star and got bitten, and my finger broken in the process. Still, I never wished..."If I only had a gun."

If this had occurerd in my town, it would definitely make the news in the local paper and the whole situation would be brought in front of our Board of Selectman during our open town meeting.

If pilots on jetliners are still being denied the right to carry a firearm (in a locked box no less!!) on board their planes to protect their passengers from potential highjackers, terrorism, I have a hard time justifying the right of an untrained citizen/non law enforecement officer to carry a concealed weapon on a neighborhood street without good cause.

I read today that a Tennessee Walmart has now ARMED IT'S CHECKERS with hand guns held in hip holsters; ostensibly to prevent (???) shoplifting and robbery!! That would mean.....they SHOOT????.....WHEN????:eek: I'd be careful how I reply the next time your checker asks "Paper of plastic??" He/she might be having a bad day!

stacwase
09-04-2003, 05:37 PM
So - what are you being charged with? Do you actually have to go to court just because you accidentally let go of your leash? I would think they'd give you a warning or two first!

I can see they guy getting scared and, since he was a police officer and carries a gun and uses it regularly, it might have just been second nature for him to pull it. I can also see him being upset that you couldn't control your dogs. But I think he owes you an apology for scaring you like that! If he wasn't wearing a uniform, you had no way of knowing he was a police officer and not some freak.

I'd probably pee my pants if somebody pulled a gun in front of me.

Kfamr
09-04-2003, 05:42 PM
I don't agree with the man pulling out or even carrying a gun but I DO agree that you should only take one dog at once if you cannot control them. Who knows what will end up if it happens again. The person may not think twice about pulling the trigger.

tatsxxx11
09-04-2003, 05:52 PM
You're right KayAnn! And that's the scary part! It's also why I NEVER let my dogs off leash ever except in an enclosed dog friendly area or in the dead of winter, on the tidal flats, a mile or two from shore with no one in sight for miles. You never know how your dog will react to other dogs or strangers, or them to you and your dogs! I'd definitely walk them separately if there's any question you can't hold onto them. Maybe some playtime at a dog park??

sabies
09-04-2003, 07:45 PM
Pulling out a gun seems like an overreaction to me. While I would never react the way he did I do understand that some people get very scared. But to call animal control and drag it out like this? If someone pulled a gun on my dog I would never let my dog run at anyone again - lesson quickly learned.

I saw the clip of the Tennessee dog shot by a cop and it seems that cops need more training on how to tell friendly dog behavior from attacking dog behavior. That dog just looked happy to be out of the car romping on the side of the road til the cop killed him.

Good luck. I hope this is over for you soon and you never see the man again.

lizbud
09-04-2003, 08:55 PM
Originally posted by Uabassoon
I have to admit that if I had a gun I might have pointed it as well. If two big dogs were running up to me I would be scared. If she didn't say that they were friendly how was the man supposed to know? All the man knew was the she couldn't control these two dogs and then she screamed that she was letting them go. And dogs are not like humans you can't reason with them. At least when you are dealing with a human criminal you can talk to them and get a better feel of what they are going to do. But something like this is sudden you don't have time to think. And the man was just looking after himself and his dog. Now don't think that I said I would shoot the dogs because that's not what I ment. But if I were in the situation I would have the gun ready just in case they started to bite or attack.

Well, I think Uabassoon expressed my opinions very well.

Why didn't you yell to tell the guy that you were sorry & that
your dogs were harmless (just overly friendly) ? Just saying
" I'm going to let them go" is not exactly a re-assureing thing
to yell at the guy & his smaller dog. I do not mean to sound
harsh or mean in any way, but you're very lucky your dogs
were not shot.(That would be over reacting if the dogs did not
attack the other dog) The man happened to be a cop who had
a gun and given the circumstances you described, if I were him
I would have done the same thing. You should never attempt to
walk the two dogs together by yourself if you cannot have
complete control of them at all times. As you said yourself, He
just wanted to walk his dog in peace.

kingrattus
09-04-2003, 11:30 PM
Well said lizbud

cfuh
09-05-2003, 08:22 AM
Originally posted by stacwase
So - what are you being charged with? Do you actually have to go to court just because you accidentally let go of your leash? I would think they'd give you a warning or two first!

I can see they guy getting scared and, since he was a police officer and carries a gun and uses it regularly, it might have just been second nature for him to pull it. I can also see him being upset that you couldn't control your dogs. But I think he owes you an apology for scaring you like that! If he wasn't wearing a uniform, you had no way of knowing he was a police officer and not some freak.

I'd probably pee my pants if somebody pulled a gun in front of me.

i think i'm being charged with not being able to control my dogs but i haven't received the summons yet.

cfuh
09-05-2003, 08:26 AM
i just wanted to say that i do not disagree that the guy was right in protecting himself from my dogs...i just feel that it was over-excessive that he pulled the gun on my dogs. what if he didn't have the gun on him?? what would he have done then???

when i normally walk the dogs, i look around and if i see people i walk to other way to avoid confrontations like that...

anyway, we'll see what happens...thanks for your opinions.

btw, he is a cop for the george mason university.

kingrattus
09-05-2003, 08:35 AM
So he's a security Guard? or he just patrols the university?

Uabassoon
09-05-2003, 10:39 AM
Kingrattus in the US some of the larger universities have their own PD. University of Arizona has their own PD as well, their patrol area includes all of the campus as well as a few neighborhoods that are very close to campus.

Cinder & Smoke
09-05-2003, 11:40 AM
"The George Mason University Police Department is professionally accredited by the Commission on Accreditation for Law Enforcement Agencies. Members of the University Police force are state certified police officers empowered to enforce all federal, state, and local laws on all George Mason campuses, with the authority to make arrests and carry firearms. They are trained in emergency first aid, criminal law, criminal investigation, defensive tactics, crime prevention, use of firearms, sexual assault victim counseling, crisis intervention, crowd control, and enforcement of traffic regulations. A criminal background check is completed on all police personnel."

Above quoted from the GMU Police Dept web page at:
GMU Police web page. (http://www.gmu.edu/police/AboutTheDept.html)

/s/ Phred

kingrattus
09-05-2003, 01:41 PM
Thats different. Here the universities/colleges r patroled by retarded "rent a cops", u wanna see power abuse, well these guys do it ALL the time, cops hate them & the armoured car drivers hate them even more. Their annoying pests. Ok the large majority r.

The ones at Bayshore r perverted!! all they do is stare & fallow girls around, they also harass female mall employees.