PDA

View Full Version : Spikes At The Vet

K & L
09-03-2003, 07:56 PM
We took Spike to the vet today suspecting teeth & gum problems. Well, poor guy has a gum disease (can't remember the name) so they kept him overnight, will run blood work, put him under, pull all teeth except the fangs, and he will be on medication. We felt so bad leaving him. Spike got his name because he's a difficult, somewhat grouchy kitty. When he was little he would carry his toy in his mouth and growl the whole time. He's not a happy camper right now and gave the vet a good fight! At least when this is over with he will feel much better! We also felt bad for not noticing how bad his mouth was. The last time he was in the vet he was fine, so at least it hasn't been ages he has been dealing with this. Poor Spikey!

nodgeness
09-03-2003, 08:05 PM
Poor little guy! Do you get to pick him up tomorrow? I know him being gone is driving you crazy!

rg_girlca
09-03-2003, 08:37 PM
Aww poor Spike. Prayers on the way that all turns out well and he will be back home being his old grouchy self again.

K & L
09-04-2003, 08:57 AM
Originally posted by nodgeness
Poor little guy! Do you get to pick him up tomorrow? I know him being gone is driving you crazy!

We are sure hoping he gets to come home today! It's only 7:00 a.m. here so we haven't heard from the vet yet. I always hate the thought of putting them under Anesthesia!:(

Cataholic
09-04-2003, 09:03 AM
Poor Spike! But, now he will feel better. I would like to know the name of the gum disease he has....

K & L
09-04-2003, 09:23 AM
Originally posted by Cataholic
Poor Spike! But, now he will feel better. I would like to know the name of the gum disease he has....

I will have the vet write it down when we pick him up. He told me a couple times yesterday, but it was a long complicated name! I'll let you know.

Lerah021399
09-04-2003, 09:43 AM
It's probably called Periodontal Disease. At least that's what it is called in humans. I wouldn't imagine it would be called anything different in cats. I used to work for a dentist and I saw a lot of nasty stuff there. There is no cure for this disease...that's probably why they are pulling all of his teeth. With humans you go thru a series of cleanings to control the disease (not a normal teeth cleaning either) that is painful and then regular visits after to make sure that the disease is controlled.

I hope that Spike is better real soon.

HayleyRosie
09-04-2003, 11:02 AM
Poor Spike. I'm sure he will feel a lot better when he gets back home.

K & L
09-04-2003, 11:26 AM
Originally posted by Lerah021399
It's probably called Periodontal Disease. At least that's what it is called in humans. I wouldn't imagine it would be called anything different in cats. I used to work for a dentist and I saw a lot of nasty stuff there. There is no cure for this disease...that's probably why they are pulling all of his teeth. With humans you go thru a series of cleanings to control the disease (not a normal teeth cleaning either) that is painful and then regular visits after to make sure that the disease is controlled.

I hope that Spike is better real soon.

It has to do with that, but that wasn't the name. It was some long medical term that I can't remember.

Cataholic
09-04-2003, 12:11 PM
gingivial hyperplasia?

Catsnclay
09-04-2003, 01:50 PM
Oh no!! Poor Spike! Lets hope he gets to come home to the rest today.

Better stock up on some canned fooD :eek: :D

K & L
09-04-2003, 02:11 PM
Originally posted by Catsnclay
Oh no!! Poor Spike! Lets hope he gets to come home to the rest today.

Better stock up on some canned fooD :eek: :D

:D That was one of my questions...BUT...the vet said cats eat with their fang teeth so there should be no problem or change in diet!!! Good to see back on the board BTW!

jenluckenbach
09-04-2003, 07:53 PM
Sorry that I missed this. Poor (toothless) Spike. Hope all goes well, I know he can get along just fine.

K & L
09-04-2003, 08:07 PM
Originally posted by Cataholic
gingivial hyperplasia?

feline lymphoplasmagitic gingivitis

Lerah021399
09-05-2003, 06:37 AM
I wouldn't have remembered that long name either...that's quite a mouth full.

Barbara
09-05-2003, 06:47 AM
"Feline lymphocytic, plasmacytic gingivitis (LPG) is a condition unique to cats that is seen fairly frequently. This condition is characterized by an exaggerated inflammation of the gum tissue in response to a relatively mild accumulation of plaque. The gingival tissue is also very thickened and painful. Sometimes the affected tissue may extend all the way back to the tonsillar area. These patients should be checked for Feline Leukemia, Feline Immunodefiency Virus, and other possible metabolic disease (kidney failure). Most cases of LPG are thought to be some form of immune reaction to relatively low concentrations of bacteria in the plaque. Early cases can sometimes be managed with frequent cleaning, steroids, and antibiotics. Eventually most cases become chronic and non-responsive to this form of treatment. Therefore, the best current long-term treatment for this is total extraction. Although this may sound extreme, by eliminating the surfaces on which plaque is allowed to accumulate, the gingival reaction ceases. Furthermore, by stopping the chronic inflammation, the potential systemic effects are also limited. "

This is the only information I found that sounds like what you are describing! This explains why all the teeth had to be extracted!

K & L
09-05-2003, 08:00 AM
Originally posted by Barbara
"Feline lymphocytic, plasmacytic gingivitis (LPG) is a condition unique to cats that is seen fairly frequently. This condition is characterized by an exaggerated inflammation of the gum tissue in response to a relatively mild accumulation of plaque. The gingival tissue is also very thickened and painful. Sometimes the affected tissue may extend all the way back to the tonsillar area. These patients should be checked for Feline Leukemia, Feline Immunodefiency Virus, and other possible metabolic disease (kidney failure). Most cases of LPG are thought to be some form of immune reaction to relatively low concentrations of bacteria in the plaque. Early cases can sometimes be managed with frequent cleaning, steroids, and antibiotics. Eventually most cases become chronic and non-responsive to this form of treatment. Therefore, the best current long-term treatment for this is total extraction. Although this may sound extreme, by eliminating the surfaces on which plaque is allowed to accumulate, the gingival reaction ceases. Furthermore, by stopping the chronic inflammation, the potential systemic effects are also limited. "

This is the only information I found that sounds like what you are describing! This explains why all the teeth had to be extracted!

WOW!!! Thanks Barbara. That's what the vet said about the extraction. They did test him, again (he was tested as a kitten) for FIV/FELV...which is negative. Of course they ran all pre-op blood work, which also came back good. They feel Spike will make a full recovery as long as his biopsy for cancer comes back negative!!! He seems to be doing VERY well this morning and has even eaten his breakfast. I can't believe how fast all of this seemed to have happened. I'm paranoid for the others now! Some are due for their shots and annual check, so we'll just take the others beforehand!