PDA

View Full Version : A loss from my surrogate family....

ramanth
09-03-2003, 05:46 PM
On Monday night, while Andy and I were driving home from Dragon*Con I recieved the most heart breaking phone call.

My best friends mom had passed away earlier that evening. She wasn't sick... in fact, my best friend had gone home for the Labor Day weekend and her mom was fine.... but on Monday morning all that changed. Sheila had a massive stroke to her brainstem and was gone before the doctors had a chance to see her.

I've been spending a lot of time with Shawntell since I got home Tuesday morning. I won't be at work for the rest of the week so I won't be near a computer.

Sheila was like a second mom to me.... it's just shocking. She just had her 49th birthday last Friday. :(

Then last night, Andy called me, Colin, his roomate, lost his mom. :( She had MS and had been in pain for years.... she wanted to go home and passed away a few hours later. :(

The wakes and funerals are the same day, but I will be with Shawntell and Andy will be with Colin.

Thoughts and blessings needed for the families.

dukedogsmom
09-03-2003, 05:48 PM
How sad. And she was pretty young, too. The worst deaths are the unexpected ones. My nephew lost one of his friends yesterday. He was only 19. So, hope things get a little better. Hope everyone makes it though this without too much sadness.

slick
09-03-2003, 05:52 PM
That's very sad. Hugs to you ramanth and I know your friend appreciates you being there. God, please send your love to these people and heal the pain in their hearts.

bluekat
09-03-2003, 05:58 PM
I'm sorry to hear.....its very very sad:( and 49 years is still very young. and even worse, it was unexpected, I agree those deaths are the worst.:(

binka_nugget
09-03-2003, 06:04 PM
I'm so sorry to hear this..I hope everything sails smoothly for the grieving period.

moosmom
09-03-2003, 06:07 PM
Oh Kimmy,

I'm so sorry you had to deal with this all at once! Please express my sincere sympathies to both Shawntell and Colin's families.

I'll talk to you soon!

Love,
Donna

tatsxxx11
09-03-2003, 06:50 PM
Oh Kimmy:(:(:( How very sad. I'm so sorry for you losses and my heart breaks for the families of these two very special people. Life is so fleeting, fragile and unpredictable. A woman of 49 yrs is in the prime of her life. It is said, live every day as though it were your last. Your friends' tragic losses sadly proves that we all should heed that advice. To the families of Shawntell and Colin, please accept my most heartfelt condolences. Kimmy, I will keep them in my prayers; and you as well. Love, Sandra

KYS
09-03-2003, 06:57 PM
How sad and shocking for you and her family.
She was a young woman.
Sending many prayers and thoughts your way.

kingrattus
09-03-2003, 11:14 PM
That so sad... I hate unexpected deaths.

A friends mother die last year. Her mom & b/f drove into a cement wall & never hit the breaks. Her mom was driving & her mom doesn't drink at all. Her mom died instantly & her b/f is still alive but he's in horrable shape, they had to redo his face & fix almost every bone in his body... No body knows what happened that evening. Luckly my friend has alot of good friends & with her moms life insurance, she bought a small house for herself & has a FT job. This woke my friend up, before she was a nut job (crying wold cause she was depressed, attention seeker).. Now shes normal & has a good furtur. Too bad it took her moms death to wake her up.

Her mom was a friend of mine too, she was funny & super super nice.

anna_66
09-05-2003, 02:50 PM
Sorry I didn't see this before now, I haven't been on PT all week.

This is so sad to hear Kim:(
My prayers for you and your friends family.

mugsy
09-05-2003, 03:44 PM
Sympathies to you, Andy, and the families from the Kendalls.

popcornbird
09-05-2003, 04:56 PM
That's horrible. :( I'm so very sorry to hear of this. 49 years is so very young. :( Sorry you have to deal with this tragedy. :(

Tubby & Peanut's Mom
09-05-2003, 05:26 PM
Oh Kimmy, I'm so sorry. :( Hugs to you and Andy and condolences to all the families. 49 is definitely way too young....:(

I know my best friend's mom is like my own mom, and I would be just as devastated if something happened to her as if something happened to my mom, but then I would have to comfort my friend on top of grieving myself, so I can imagine how difficult this is for you. Then to have Andy's roommate's mom go at the same time is just horrible, you can't be there to support each other. :(

Cataholic
09-05-2003, 08:05 PM
Kimmy, I am so very sorry.
{{{Hugs}}}

Logan
09-05-2003, 08:10 PM
Kim, I am so glad that you and Andy are there for your friends. They need your support right now.

Our thoughts and prayers are with you. :(

ramanth
09-07-2003, 11:23 PM
Thank you everyone. It's been a rough week, but we are getting by.

We all spent Wednesday night with Colin and his family.... Shawntell and Colin were able to talk and relate.

Then I spent the remaining week with Shawntell and her family.

We released 49 balloons at Sheila's funeral. She loved balloons.

Shawntell and Colin are doing better as the days go by. Thank you all for your thoughts.

*HUGS*

shais_mom
09-08-2003, 12:30 AM
So Sorry about your loss Kimmy. You and Andy will be in my thoughts and prayers.

(I was gone for a week, so I am a little behind, sorry)

Ally Cat's Mommy
09-08-2003, 02:20 AM
What terrible news. Both you and the families will be in my thoughts and prayers.

lovemyshiba
09-08-2003, 07:10 AM
I'm so sorry to hear this Kimmy.

My thoughts and prayers will be with Shawntell and Colin's families, and also with you and Andy.