PDA

View Full Version : Horse Facts

Desert Arabian
09-03-2003, 04:05 PM
I just thought it would be neat to post some facts about horses. :D

1. Horses teeth have to be "floated" (trimmed). Otherwise they get sharp edges and cut open their mouth. They have a hard time eating too.
2. To get an idea of a horses age you look at their teeth
3. The tallest horse was a Shire gelding named Sampson, who was 21.2 hh (1h=4inches) and weighed 3,360 pounds
4. Horses hooves grow 0.25 inches a month
5. In the state of Arizona it is illegal for cowboys to walk through a hotel lobby wearing their spurs!!!
6. An adult horse's heart beats 36-40 beats per minute at rest.
7. Arabians have one less rib, one less lumbar bone, and one less tail vertebrae, which accounts for their compact conformation through the back, and their high tail carriage.
8. A horse over 15 years old is called "aged" and is often referred to as being "long in the tooth"
9. A young inexperienced horse is called "green"
10. Hemlock, yew, deadly nightshade, and ragwort are extremely poisonous to horses. (Along with many other plants, flowers, and trees)
11. White horses are called "gray"
12. In 1875 1,000 tons of horse manure was being removed from the London streets EVERYDAY.
13. The small intestine of a horse is 75.5 feet long
14. The average horse (when allowed to) will eat for 20-22 hours and sleep for 2-4 hours everyday.
15. The Quarter Horse is the most popular horse in the USA, with over 3 million registered with the American Quarter Horse Assosiation (AQHA)
16. A horse shoeing forge can heat metal to over 2,500 degrees
17. The smallest pony is the Falabella which weighs up to 50 pounds.
18. Some common horse colors include Chestnut, Bay, Appaloosa, Palomino, Brown, Black, Gray and Paint.
19. The long hairs on draft horses legs are called "feathers"
20. I really really really really really really really love horses. hehe.

So there ya have it, some color horsey facts!

Mr.Slim79Mysti
09-06-2003, 06:40 PM
Some horses are white(certain breeds) and to qualify as grey they have to have black hairs.

Sorry I'm insane

:)

Audrey

Desert Arabian
09-06-2003, 08:17 PM
Hmm...other facts I can think of:

* Geldings (and stags) and Stallions have to have their sheaths cleaned every 6 months or so to reduce the risk of beans. Beans block their pee track and make it painful to pee. They can get so large it blocks the pee, and the horses can urinate. :o :(

* The gestation period of a mare is 11 months

* If you don't take good care of the hoof they can get a condition called "thrush" where it slowly eats away the "frog" (soft pad) of the hoof.

* White hooves are softer than blue/black or striped hooves

* At age 12 some horses get "wolf teeth", which most of the time are removed for they are useless.

* There are three types of bloods: hot, warm, and cold

* The tallest document Mule is Apollo. He was foaled in 1977 and was 19.1 hh, his mother was a Belgian and his father was a Mammoth Jack. He is in the Guinness Book of Records.

* Some facial markings include: wall eye, mealy muzzle, star, stripe, sclera, and blaze.

* Markings for IDing: freeze branding (painless; non-permanent), hot-iron branding (painful; permanent), hoof branding (non-permanent), and mircochipping.

*Horses have a 360 degree field of vision

*Feed commonly fed to horses: hay, oats, barley, maize, cubes, coarse mix, sugar beet, chaff, bran, and linseed

* Tools used for grooming: body brush, dandy brush, water brush, plastic/rubber curry comb, metal curry comb, hoof pick, mane comb, sponges, sweat scraper

Horsey Terms For Horsey People:

* Concussion: the jarring caused to foot and lower leg by the impact of the horse's hoof hitting the ground.

*Dishing: a fault; when the front legs from the knee down move in and outward in a circular motion.

* Ewe-necked- a neck that has an over-developed muscle on the underside and a dipped outline on the top side.

*Jibbah- the shield-shaped bulge on the forehead on an Arabian

*Nap/Nappy- a horse that refuses to proceed in the wrong direction asked.

:D There's my list for the day.

Desert Arabian
09-06-2003, 08:23 PM
Originally posted by Mr.Slim79Mysti
Some horses are white(certain breeds) and to qualify as grey they have to have black hairs.

Sorry I'm insane

:)

Audrey

The Lippanzaner is a "white" horse breed. The only other color variation it comes in black- but it is rare.

Mr.Slim79Mysti
09-06-2003, 09:09 PM
yeah thats the breed i was thinking about lol sometimes i cant remember things too well

Vermontcat
09-07-2003, 01:29 PM
Hey YLL, I haven't had time to post in a while and I can't do any photos right now but I will get back to this thread later with a photo to go with your facts numbered 15, 18 and 20!:)

Mr.Slim79Mysti
09-07-2003, 03:16 PM
Horses don't have a complete 360 field of vision they have a blind spot right in front of the front feet and directly behind them.....;)

Desert Arabian
09-07-2003, 08:02 PM
Originally posted by Mr.Slim79Mysti
Horses don't have a complete 360 field of vision they have a blind spot right in front of the front feet and directly behind them.....;)

Yes, indeed, I know that.

Desert Arabian
09-07-2003, 08:07 PM
Originally posted by Vermontcat
Hey YLL, I haven't had time to post in a while and I can't do any photos right now but I will get back to this thread later with a photo to go with your facts numbered 15, 18 and 20!:)

Alrighty, sounds good! I have to post some pictures from horse camp! I got a lot of pictures of Spirit, Jack, Schatzie, and other horseys. I'll get on that now...I have to scan, re-size, upload, etc.

delidog
09-07-2003, 09:40 PM
Yeah!!!
Another Horse thread!!!!!
YLL
Somebody has been feeding you a Small amount of Blarney....
Though 99% of your info is accurate...I have to bring up a few points:
Wolf Teeth at 12???
Wolf teeth are like our wisdom teeth...either you have them or you don't.....there is no specific age that they appear.....it might take until they are 12 until the horse cannot stand them anymore...

360 degree of vision???? no....straightforward....to see shadows on the sides of them...hence the Tack we call Blinders...their vision is so bad,that is why they spook if something runs up behind and/or on the side of them...

Feed...the most common is Pellets..(to keep them Fat and Quiet...and sweet feed for energy...pls.add to list

Grooming Tools???Metal Curreys are for Cows!!!
a mane and tail should be Fingered through after silicone....NEVER metal Combed or Brushed...This Rips the Tail and Mane hair out...never to be as full again
You don't want me to get into the sheath thing....it is an easy grooming task to clean Each day that you Own a Gelding!

Sorry, I don't want anyone to be misled

Desert Arabian
09-07-2003, 10:00 PM
Originally posted by delidog
Yeah!!!
Another Horse thread!!!!!
YLL
Somebody has been feeding you a Small amount of Blarney....
Though 99% of your info is accurate...I have to bring up a few points:
Wolf Teeth at 12???
Wolf teeth are like our wisdom teeth...either you have them or you don't.....there is no specific age that they appear.....it might take until they are 12 until the horse cannot stand them anymore...

Oh, well, that's what I was told by the veterinarian that it is common for horses to get their wolf teeth around 12 years of age. That is, for the ones who DO get them. Obviosuly that differs from horse to horse.

360 degree of vision???? no....straightforward....to see shadows on the sides of them...hence the Tack we call Blinders...their vision is so bad,that is why they spook if something runs up behind and/or on the side of them...

Indeed, I know that, It was in my horse encyclopedia...I thought it was incorrect.

Feed...the most common is Pellets..(to keep them Fat and Quiet...and sweet feed for energy...pls.add to list

Grooming Tools???Metal Curreys are for Cows!!!
a mane and tail should be Fingered through after silicone....NEVER metal Combed or Brushed...This Rips the Tail and Mane hair out...never to be as full again
You don't want me to get into the sheath thing....it is an easy grooming task to clean Each day that you Own a Gelding!

You don't use it for the horses, you use it to get hair out of the body brush. But, I have tried it on horses caked in mud, going with the fur, and the mud came out 1-2-3. The rubber curry got out bits and pieces.

I have cleaned horse sheaths too, this past summer. I got a giant bean out of Zak.

Sorry, I don't want anyone to be misled

Vermontcat
09-09-2003, 02:46 PM
Here is a photo of my friend's horse Sunny who is a Palomino Quarter Horse. (and my daughter and I really really love him!):D
http://users.adelphia.net/~mandzsawyer/images/shs4.jpg
See YLL, that covers numbers 15, 18 and 20!:)

Later tonight I will post more photos of him when I have more time.

Like Delidog said above, I wasn't too sure about some of your facts being totally true either but I didn't have time to look them up either!
But hey, we are all Hippofiles here aren't we!;)

Desert Arabian
09-09-2003, 03:01 PM
Originally posted by Vermontcat
http://users.adelphia.net/~mandzsawyer/images/shs4.jpg

:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: *drooooooool* *droooooool*- Laura has to go get a mop to clean up the puddle- *droooool*

GOREGOUS horse! And to tell you the truth, I don't care for the palomino color, but I LOVE this one! :D

Desert Arabian
09-09-2003, 03:03 PM
P.S. What facts do you think are incorrect? ;)

Vermontcat
09-10-2003, 12:29 PM
YLL, I just looked at the facts again and I don't have anything else to disagree with that wasn't already pointed out,
the color gray or white, the 360 degree vision and the grooming tools.

I just posted some more photos of Sunny here in Pet General so go take a look.
I am also going to start another thread in General so check that out too!:)