PDA

View Full Version : A little more Minnie...

Cataholic
09-02-2003, 03:28 PM
A brief history, first...

Minnie moved into my home in July 2002. She had been picked up in April, and kept at the shelter/clinic until a proper home could be had. From July to Oct/Nov...Minnie lived strictly in my basement....I hated it. (Of course, I made her several beds, had her food, litter,etc. down there). Then, I always think it just got too cold...and up she moved to under my bed. So, food, litter, etc., was relocated to my room. This wasn't a good thing at all. Too many cat wars happened.

I moved Minnie to the spare room, set up her 'station'...she had a huge computer box as her hidey hole (free reign of the home, but, she didn't avail herself of it). This was maybe in January 2003. By February/March, on very rare occasions, I would find Minnie on the window sill...but, the second I opened the door, or moved into the room, she ran. I kept the door closed for 12 hours at a time to afford her complete security.

At some point, I moved Minnie's house into the closet. I took out all my shoes, cut a hole in the door, and put food and litter in there. It seemed more comfortable to her.

By April/May....I would catch Minnie out in the room, on the window sill, and by June...it had become a daily ritual. She would come out at night (dusk) and sit in the window, under the chair, AND walk (OK, crawl) past me to do so. She know longer ran all the time. By July, every single day/night, Minnie came out. She would sit on the floor and watch us.

Well, guess the heck what? Today...I mean prolly since late July, Minnie has taken to wandering. She will now go, nearly every evening, out of the closet, down the hall, and set up camp under the dining room table. I sometimes find her there in the AM!!! Do you hear me? AM!!! I have found her in the living room, on the bottom shelf of the bookcase (which is set up for catnapping)! This weekend...she was in the LIVING ROOM WINDOW!!! Just looking out, sniffing things. She could not go any further in my house than that!

She purposely strides down the hall, away from the hidey hole, with me and Binx in plain sight, and goes about her business. She still runs when she sees me (though she sits for pets inside her hidey hole), but, not with fear, more with apprehension. In the morning, when I go to change her food,water and litter, I always smile when the closet is empty... cause I know she is out and about.

14 months.....whoever thought.....I can't wait for the day I can go up to her and pet her outside the hidey hole....I know that day is somewhere off in the near future. Maybe that will be Minnie's Christmas present to me. :D

Barbara
09-02-2003, 03:34 PM
Minnie is a good example for how long it can take!
Congratulations for your patience. That's so great -and deep down in her little heart she knows she can trust you:)

rg_girlca
09-02-2003, 03:35 PM
Aww Minnie, you've come a long way girl. Pretty soon you'll find out that life is much better out of your hidey hole. One day at a time sweetie.

Miss Meow
09-02-2003, 04:16 PM
Go Minnie! Small steps are so exciting :)

Edwina's Secretary
09-02-2003, 04:50 PM
Soon you will be calling her Maxie!

K & L
09-02-2003, 05:00 PM
I can totally relate to your story! I threw a feral indoors about 4 years ago. He would eat at our front porch, so one evening I told my husband to open the door, I snuck behind Blaze, grabbed him and tossed him through the door (not untouched though). He's been in ever since, but it took him months before he would venture out amongst the living.

Good work!!!!!

krazyaboutkatz
09-02-2003, 11:48 PM
This is wonderful news!!!:) Go Minnie!!!:D

Ally Cat's Mommy
09-03-2003, 01:47 AM
"SLOW BUT SURE".....glad to hear progress is being made!

bisi.cat
09-03-2003, 02:32 AM
Blessed be your patience, Johanna!!!
What a wonderful job you both are doing and I hope...no, I know...there will be success somewhere around the corner!!!

Go Minnie, your human's arms are already wide open!!!
:D :D :D

kimlovescats
09-03-2003, 03:50 AM
What wonderful news.... way to go on your patience and accommodating nature, and to Minnie for her bravery!:)

Vio&Juni
09-03-2003, 04:58 AM
It's always nice to hear good news about Minnie :)

jenluckenbach
09-03-2003, 06:09 AM
Minnie, YOU GO GIRL!!

As I have said before, you could be talking about my Fern. Knowing that, you can look forward to the day when she DEMANDS to be petted (like Fern does when she is on top of the refridgerator). Many steps in the right direction will be made. Enjoy each and every one of them.

catmandu
09-03-2003, 09:57 AM
Congatulations! It just shows what kindness and LOVE will do. soon she will be as the Other cats and have a happier life , not being so afraid! It a much better life for her to have the confidence to roam the house and not have to feel that she has to hide!

Cataholic
09-03-2003, 11:45 AM
And, under the dining room table she was this AM!!! Hello Min-min...and I just go about my business.

Thanks for the kind words. It is really exciting to watch her progress...

Russian Blue
09-03-2003, 12:54 PM
You know how much I enjoy Minnie updates. You go girl, one step at a time! Woohoo! I'm so excited for both of you. It must be so great to see the progress.

My friend took in two feral cats a year and a half ago. The female cat came around faster than the male. She only recently has been able to pet the male. It's slow, but so rewarding for her.

;)

ScantyNebula
09-03-2003, 01:38 PM
Thats great Johanna!!! It must be hard to have a cat that doesn't want to be around you at all ... hopefully sweet Minnie will come around - who knows, she may greet you at the door someday :) At least there is progress being made! Kudos to you for being such a great Meowmie :D:D

AmberLee
09-03-2003, 07:36 PM
Great news! Hope that the progress will continue and even speed up!

Cataholic
09-04-2003, 09:12 AM
Here is a Johanna funny -this am, I walked Binx and it was hot and yucky out, so, my glasses steamed up. I came home, took them off, and was going to shower. I stopped for some reason, and talked to Tenny, who was laying under the bed, kinda half out/half under. So, I popped my head down, and saw another cat in Tenny's 'spot'...I thought it was Dakky, which wouldn't be unusual, as those two are soulmates. BUT, Dakky walked up behind me to see what I was doing!!! I quickly walked to get my glasses, and saw MINNIE! under my bed, laying there with Tenny. She had been in her hidey hole 30 minutes earlier, cause I scooped, fed and petted her then. So, she left her hole in the am to set up camp in my room. HOW WONDERFUL!!!

(and, I am not blind...my cats all look so similar, that even 20/20 might not have helped..he he he)

Cinder & Smoke
09-04-2003, 10:24 AM
Originally posted by Cataholic
... I quickly walked to get my glasses...

(and, I am not blind...
my cats all look so similar,
that even 20/20 might not have helped...
he he he)

Konsider BIG PRINT namey tagz onna kollarz?? :p

Ya otta watch Dad trying ta find da baffroom at dark:thirty -
wiffout hiz :cool: lookin glassez!

So happie Miz Minnie is starting to mingle wiffa Herd!! :)

ChrisH
09-04-2003, 10:37 AM
Oh, Johanna, that is just so wonderful!!!!:)
:D :) :D :) :D :)

gini
09-04-2003, 10:53 AM
Johanna, doesn't it make you feel crummy when a kitty scurries by you as though you are going to attack it?

It takes so long to get them to trust. My twins, Annie and Emma are much the same. Annie has always been more loving, outgoing and trusting. Emma on the other hand acts like I am the devil in person.

However, once I have gone to bed, many times I will find her on the bed too. She will come around on her terms, not yours.

Great news about Minnie - your consistent love and care is finally assuring her that life is good perhaps - outside of the closet!

NoahsMommy
09-04-2003, 10:33 PM
Oh my gosh...that's wonderful news Johanna! :)

I am always drawn to sweet Minnie updates because I love what you are doing for her. You are her angel.