PDA

View Full Version : Anyone play any musical instruments?

PepperRSM
08-31-2003, 04:59 PM
Just wondering if anyone here plays any instruments...and if you're any good at it:p

I play:
-Piano(My mom had me take lessons starting when I was 8. At the time I didn't want to do it, but now I'm glad I did:) )
-Viola(I played it for orchestra for school in 5th and 6th grade, I wasn't really that good at it:p )
-Violin(I switched to violin from viola because it seemed easier. Violin plays treble clef and viola plays its own weird clef, so I figured with a violin i could play the songs in the piano books i already had)
-Guitar(i think this is how it happened...one day like a year or two ago, my dad found some tabs online and he had to run to the store quick or something, i don't remember, but he left the computer on and it still had the page with the tabs on and i tried it and i was like, hey this is easy...and fun! I'm working on chords right now, I have a few down pretty well)
-Mandolin(here (http://www.michaelkellyguitars.com/mandolins/) are a few pics if you don't know what they are. My dad got one recently because he's started to like the whole bluegrass thing and it's tuned exactly like a violin, the strings are G D A E, so I've been playing some songs from my piano books and some that I've found online)

also, 8notes.com (http://www.8notes.com) has some popular riffs. I've found some good ones there.

Dobiegirl24
08-31-2003, 05:13 PM
I've played the clarinet in band for the past 3 years, but i no longer enjoy playing so i'm quiting this year.

Currently i'm saving up money for a guitar, just a cheap 250$ one from best buy though, LOL;)

tatsxxx11
08-31-2003, 05:28 PM
Wow, Pepper...that's quite a resume!:) You must be so talented!:)

I've played the flute since elementary school. Several years ago I played with a local quartet...flute, piano, cello and violin. We would play at churches, private functions, weddings and such. It was such fun; I miss it! Now I play solo, or with my "friends" on MMO (Music Minus One) It's a full piece on tape, minus the solo part, which you play. It's like giving a recital, without the audience!:D

RubyMutt
08-31-2003, 05:48 PM
I played clarinet all through middle school & high school, but since I graduated (a little over a year ago) I haven't touched it :( I feel a little ashamed.

I've been playing guitar for around 5 years (... I think) and bass guitar for about 2 or 3 years. I don't have as much time to play as I used to, but I still enjoy playing when I get a chance :)

I started to self-teach myself the piano years and years ago, and my mom started giving me some pointers on how to better my playing a couple years ago, but I was never very motivated to keep up with it. I still dabble on my mom's keyboard every once and awhile just for fun :)

Uabassoon
08-31-2003, 07:05 PM
The first instrument I learned to play was piano, because I started out as a music education major I had to learn all the instruments but I only got as far as all the woodwinds: flute, clarinet, sax, oboe, and bassoon and all the brass: trumpet, french horn, tbone and tuba. I never got to take string tech. But my two main instruments are bassoon and double second steel drums.

binka_nugget
08-31-2003, 07:18 PM
I took piano in grade 8 because I thought it would be a nice slacker course lol. I loved it and I'm in it this year (grade 11). I taught myself out of a book (alfreds). I was playing a song for someone not too long ago and they said some nice things and said that the music I was playing was considered Grade 5. :eek: How did I ever get to grade 5 level music in less than 2 years (at the time)?

I also play a bit of sax. I picked it up right away because fingering is very similar to the recorder. I was forced to play the recorder for many years in elementary.

I tried playing the guitar but I suck. I didn't give up really, but my strings broke and I'd rather not invest in this guitar. I want an electric lol.

Fuzzy317
08-31-2003, 07:26 PM
I played drums/percussion in middle school, high school, and a few years in college.

I Love Brian, Forever <3
08-31-2003, 07:45 PM
Guitar for 2 years.

dukedogsmom
08-31-2003, 07:49 PM
Ages and ages ago, I played the trumpet! From 7th grade through 12th. Was also in stage band. Was first chair trumpet. Now, I have no clue. One time I dreamed that I went to visit my old band teacher. He put me at first place trumpet and I couldn't even read the music. I was so embarrassed!

Kfamr
08-31-2003, 07:51 PM
I can play a few songs on the guitar.

Cataholic
08-31-2003, 08:09 PM
I play a mean sound on the radio...

primabella
08-31-2003, 08:12 PM
I wish I knew how to play guitar and drums (we have both) but I can only play keyboards and that's only because we had to play it in Sec 1. I liked it so I got my parents to buy me one. Every so often I'll try to teach myself a new song. :)

Karen
08-31-2003, 08:19 PM
Started on Piano, as my mom taught piano, and everyone had to get through John Thompson book 2 before they could take a musical instrument in school. I didn't practice as much as I should have, so I can play it still, but am slow at sight-reading. After piano, I learned Clarinet, then played e-flat Clarinet in middle school, then in high school played clarinet still and saxophone - started on alto sax, then played Baritone sax for the rest of high school. I haven't practices my clarinet in years, so my embouchure is shot. I also can play recorder, and am in a hand-bell choir as well, but mostly now I sing.

Cincy'sMom
08-31-2003, 08:57 PM
I haven't played anything in along time, but I took flute lessons 5th-8th grade, then in 10th grade taught myself the French Horn. I also took Organ lessons fora few weeks when I was in elementary school...

apcrs5122
08-31-2003, 09:24 PM
I play violin, and I think I'm really good at it. My teacher last year made lots of compliments on my report card, and was really pushing private lessons on me. I play it this year too, it's my second year, and I plan to keep playing it:)

Ally Cat's Mommy
09-01-2003, 08:41 AM
Wow, what a talented bunch!!

Like Cataholic, no-one can touch me when it comes to playing the stereo

plus I just got an MP3 player for my car, and with some practice I am confident that I will master this too! LOL;)

micki76
09-01-2003, 10:48 AM
Originally posted by Cataholic
I play a mean sound on the radio...

LOL me too. :)

Cataholic
09-01-2003, 11:53 AM
And, some people PLAY on my nerves...

ILoveMyAbbyGirl
09-01-2003, 12:26 PM
Geetar, French Horn, and VERY little Piano.

:D

Toby's Mommy
09-01-2003, 02:28 PM
I play the flute and the piano.

RobiLee
09-02-2003, 08:00 AM
I can't play a thing...I'm not musically talented at all. BUT....I thought I would take the time to brag about my 19 yr. old son. He plays guitar and is completely self taught. He has about 4 or 5 guitars right now. He has his own band and is lead singer and guitar. I know that I am probably bias, but I think they are just awesome. The band even went down to Nashville to play with a bunch of other groups in front of some music producing people. One guy even called back and wanted to represent them. It all costs a lot of money though and right now they are working on saving money to get a demo cd and photo kit together. Making it in the music biz is tough work. My son does most of the songwriting ( music and lyrics), which really impresses me. They are a rock band and to me they have kind of a Nirvana sound and even maybe a little Metallica sound to them. I don't know if he likes for me to say that. He doesn't like to be catagorized like that. Anyway..as you can tell I am a proud mom and I think my son is super talented!

:) Robin :)

P.S.. He also played trombone throughout school and is pretty awesome on drums too!

Logan
09-02-2003, 08:53 AM
I sometimes fancy myself as a terrific vocalist (which I am not), so I sing along loudly when no one is around!!! LOL!!! But the only instrument I can even attempt is the piano and I don't do that very well, but my limited training did enable me to read music, which helps alot. I can play out of the hymn book and do a mean "Heart and Soul". When I was in school, it was so small that we didn't have the opportunities that the public school kids had. I don't know if I would have been interested at that point in time, anyway, but I look back and wish I had been!

My daughter has been playing the flute for 5 years now, just starting her sixth year. This year she will also tackle the Piccolo and she is very excited about that. She is also in her third year of piano lessons.

moosmom
09-02-2003, 09:33 AM
I play the guitar, both 6 and 12 string. I also play the violin. I always wanted to learn to play the piano but never did, reason being we didn't have one!