PDA

View Full Version : Jailbird pictures

jenluckenbach
08-31-2003, 11:19 AM
Here are photos of my 2 jailbirds. Sterling is such a good boy. And he is so far being OK in his whole room confinement:
http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid77/pf4a068e6582924a96b752a940a9db9be/fb3a74a9.jpg
And here is singing Jim. His serenades are sending me to the looney bin. I am weakening, but I do not think that the medicine has relaxed him enough yet to allow him to go to the next step. I need to talk to the vet about upping the dosage.
http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid77/p3f4453c6c1c0edabea4f15601ff2fb57/fb3a74ac.jpg

jenluckenbach
08-31-2003, 12:56 PM
people look, but no one comments. I am feeling quite low today and this is NOT helping my spirits. :(
sorry for acting immature, but this is a rough time for me :(

Kater
08-31-2003, 01:00 PM
Despite their complaining you must realize you have them in very nice accommodations!! I know this has got to be rough on you, but you are doing the right thing for them, even though it's hard.

At the shelter we will sometimes dim the lights in a room full of caged cats to get them to calm. You could try this and see if it relaxes "singing" Jim at all.

Or perhaps you could give them some "over the counter" kitty drugs--- sprinkle a bit of catnip on one of the shelves?

Stay strong, Jen! You are such a good kitty Mommy!

kimlovescats
08-31-2003, 01:02 PM
I know how you feel, Jen..... I get that way too sometimes.... just want /need someone to acknowledge!!! Oh, I do feel for you, and especially having to tolerate Jim's "serenading"....would definitely drive me crazy!!!! Is there a room anywhere in your house where you could place him so it's not so easy to hear him? I know you feel for him, but he is fine... YOU need to keep your sanity and not be "on edge" .....so a slilght separation could do everyone some good!

WIsh I had words of wisdom for you, but I do empathasize!!!
;)

bisi.cat
08-31-2003, 01:10 PM
Originally posted by jenluckenbach

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid77/p3f4453c6c1c0edabea4f15601ff2fb57/fb3a74ac.jpg
Looks like he's singing the "JailHouse Rock"...

I can quite imagine how you feel, but please don't be too upset, it's for your cats' best!!!
Every cat has it's very own personality and Jim and Sterling maybe have been feeling a little bit unconfortable or, let's say "uncertain" about their role in your household with the fosters...this confinement will bring back a feeling of "being secure"...it's then easier for them to find their new role in your home...
I very much admire you for having such a big cat herd at your home and I am sure everyone has to find it's place and as you know a "cat pack" is never static and they never have a real pecking order, so changes like this often occur in multicat households...but you've done very right in acting at once and seperating them!!!
Perhaps I once again may highly recommend the wonderful book "Is your cat crazy" by John Wright...it has helped me a lot to understand Nellie's reactions toward other cats!!!

HUGS!!!

Kater
08-31-2003, 01:16 PM
Originally posted by bisi.cat
Every cat has it's very own personality and Jim and Sterling maybe have been feeling a little bit unconfortable or, let's say "uncertain" about their role in your household with the fosters...this confinement will bring back a feeling of "being secure"...it's then easier for them to find their new role in your home...
I very much admire you for having such a big cat herd at your home and I am sure everyone has to find it's place and as you know a "cat pack" is never static and they never have a real pecking order, so changes like this often occur in multicat households...but you've done very right in acting at once and seperating them!!!
Perhaps I once again may highly recommend the wonderful book "Is your cat crazy" by John Wright...it has helped me a lot to understand Nellie's reactions toward other cats!!!

HUGS!!!
What an encouraging post! Plus the "words of wisdom" we were waiting for! :D So perfectly said- Thank You.

RedHedd
08-31-2003, 01:26 PM
I agree -- singing Jim is probably wailing the Jailhouse Rock -- Have you tried singing along with him? I do this when Mishi gets very vocal -- it confuses the heck out of him and he looks at me like I'm nuts (which I will admit I am, but we wont tell him that ;))

Just know that it's not a permanent situation -- this too shall pass, although right now it probably doesn't feel like it.

Barbara
08-31-2003, 03:16 PM
I know these songs. F+T sing them all the way to the vets. How tough it must be for you to hear them all the time.

But the accommodations are very good (I knew that already). I hope that you get through it soon.

There is not much to say only after bad times there will come good times. And bad times after that. And again good times.

I hope so much that your herd will be back to balance once Sterling and Jim are back to normal:) :) :)

Randi
08-31-2003, 04:14 PM
Jen, I am sorry you have to go through this, but watch for the light in the end of the tunnel - it WILL get better!! :)

Take a glass of wine and sing along! ;) He may be shocked enough to stop.

PayItForward
08-31-2003, 04:15 PM
Thinking of you Jen. it must be difficult to listen to Jim singing.

But you are doing this to help them and you might have to chant this to yourself under your breath over the coming days (Maybe wth a nice crisp glass of ehite wine at the weekend.)
{{Hugs}} from the UK crew

krazyaboutkatz
08-31-2003, 04:22 PM
Jen, I know that this is a very difficult time for you but it will get better soon. Some cats are just more vocal than others and Jim must be one of them. Try not to get too stressed out and please take care. {{{HUGS}}}

Miss Meow
08-31-2003, 05:06 PM
You have already survived a whole weekend, so hopefully the rest of the imprisonment time passes quickly.

(You may not have received many responses because of Labour Day in the USA??? PT has seemed quieter over the weekend.)

Randi has a good idea - have a drink and sing along! :)

jenluckenbach
08-31-2003, 06:08 PM
:)

Thank you to all. I just need a little sanity around here. Combine Jim's stress with Sweet Annie's fear and I am feeling a bit of a failure right now. But I always TRY to remember all the months, even years I have had without major incidents and I can count myself quite lucky.
I'm hanging in.

sasvermont
08-31-2003, 07:12 PM
Jen, you are one of the best cat moms! And wow, what wonderful cages. They must have cost a fortune! Don't let those silly kitties get you down. I know, I had my share of stress for months on end. It is debilitating sometimes, but know that there is light at the end of the tunnel.

I hope this situation works out and your guys get the message. You may want to up the dose on the meds. Did you ask your Vet about the cream version of the amitripline? It is so much easier to administer!

Good luck - keep up the good work - maybe a good long walk would help out a little.

Love,
SAS

jazzcat
08-31-2003, 07:29 PM
Poor guys, but particularly poor you. Hang in there - you are doing a great job and I really admire you. I talk about wanting to help the homeless animals but you really do it. You're a total inspiration to me as I'm sure you are to many on the board.

dukedogsmom
08-31-2003, 07:44 PM
At first, I thought it was supposed to be a joke and I thought it was cute. Can I ask why they're there? My brother has a cat that has started peeing everywhere! The kitty drugs don't work too well and he doesn't know what to do. The living situation hasn't changed at all. She's been doing this for over a year now and it's kind of tapered off but hasn't stopped by no means.

popcornbird
09-01-2003, 03:25 AM
Not even water? How do you survive without *drinking*!?! :eek: ;););) LOL I don't drink either of course! :p

Jen, I didn't know your kitties weren't well. :( Best of luck to Jim and Sterling, and although they may feel confined, you're doing the best for them. Good luck and keep us updated! I'm sorry you have to go through this!

Ally Cat's Mommy
09-01-2003, 07:59 AM
Jen,

I suppose it's just like with children - sometimes we have to do difficult things / make decisions which seem really harsh on them, because they simply can't understand that it is for their own good.

I hope the time passes quickly for you............and seeing as you don't drink, may I suggest some Hagen Daas Caramel Cream Ice Cream...........

I think you are doing a wonderful job - so many peole get rid of "problem" cats, and it takes a lot of patience and love to go through the re-training you are currently doing!

I really admire your patience and perseverance - hang in there;)

09-01-2003, 08:12 AM
I must have missed something here, as I don't understand why this two cats of you are "jailed". Is it a behaviour problem?

Anyway, success with it, Jen!!

catmandu
09-01-2003, 09:56 AM
In the long run Jen , things will get better. Jim and Sterlings problems will be over and eventually love will cure Annie. Two Cat Pillows are on thier way! Gary and the lost cats!

Killearn Kitties
09-01-2003, 02:29 PM
In the long run Jen , things will get better. Jim and Sterlings problems will be over and eventually love will cure Annie.

Ditto. It can take time with cats! They tend to have a great deal more patience than we have. I can't suggest anything different from what you are already doing. Thinking of you and wishing you all the best.

BastetsMum
09-01-2003, 03:55 PM
Might I suggest some chocolate, a foot rub and a pair of ear muffs!

You are a great meowmie Jen!

Cataholic
09-01-2003, 08:37 PM
Lut, and anyone else not knowing why Jen's cats are jailed....these two were exhibiting some behavioral problems, namely peeing where they weren't supposed to. One of them had a medical issue, as well as the behavioral, but, both are crated for several weeks, then confined to one room for several weeks, then, they will return to the GP.

Jen, hang in there, time is slowly ticking!

jenluckenbach
09-02-2003, 06:10 AM
Update
http://petoftheday.com/talk/showthread.php?s=&threadid=33494

IttyBittyKitty
09-02-2003, 06:34 AM
Jim and Sterling are such cuties even when they are delinquents behind bars! :)

I hope you are feeling a bit better - it's all a bit of a challenge, even when you have just the one cat! I figure that Pixel is good practice for having toddlers one day.

Meanwhile, ALL cats are vocal when they want something! :rolleyes: