PDA

View Full Version : Jake has low energy

stacwase
08-30-2003, 06:20 PM
All summer, Jake's energy level has been low. We thought it was because he was overweight, so we put him on a diet and we've been trying to up his exercise. He lost the weight, but he's still dragging. When we take him for walks, we have to stroll leisurely or he can't keep up.

Jake is a 7-year-old sheltie. Could it just be his age? Since they live around 14 years, I wouldn't think he'd be slowing down yet. I don't have any experience with older dogs, though.

He looks very happy and healthy. His coat is healthy and his eyes are sparkly and he's just as affectionate as ever. His appetite is fine.

His last vet checkup (about 3 months ago) was fine.

Is this normal for dogs his age?

binka_nugget
08-30-2003, 11:19 PM
Kai's already acting like a senior. If he seems healthy to you and your vet, don't worry. For example, Kai's only a year old. I've never EVER seen him act like a regular dog. He's very mellow and only plays when I insist. Sometimes, he'll even decide when to stop playing.

I've noticed that he'd be a bit more playful if I feed him early (as early as possible) and if he eats all his food. He usually leaves about 25% of it but when he eats it all, he's more active throughout the day.

wolfsoul
08-31-2003, 12:54 AM
Seven is a senior age, so that could be it. I'd say as long as your vet says he's fine, than everything is okay. Just make sure that he doesn't look sick.

stacwase
08-31-2003, 02:39 PM
I appreciate you both taking the time to respond. I'm relieved to hear that's how senior dogs normally are. He's acting lazy, really - not sick. I think I'll try the Iams senior formula, though. I've been giving him the Purina One senior formula. Maybe a change in diet will give him a little more umph.

More frequent walks couldn't hurt, either - though he doesn't seem to enjoy them much.

He was such a hyper puppy - and it seems like his "puppy stage" lasted over 3 years! Then he finally got manageable and more trainable, and just generally a more enjoyable dog. It's kind of sad that doesn't last long before they slow down.