PDA

View Full Version : What's the healthiest dog food?

*LabLoverKEB*
08-30-2003, 03:48 PM
Do any of you know what is the healthiest dog food? We are almost out of dog food, and are going to buy new dog food eathier today, or tomorrow. And I would really like to know what is the healthiest dog food is. Does anyone know?:confused: We are currently feeding Sadie Eukanuba, but I'm not sure. Thanks everyone!:)

GoldenRetrLuver
08-30-2003, 03:58 PM
I'm don't think there is a "healthiest dog food", but I recommend Nutro, and Royal Canin. I think they're both good brands.

Dogz
08-30-2003, 04:04 PM
My vet says that ScienceDiet is very healthy for your dog, and my dogs love it. They eat Iams now, but both are very good brands.:)

Kfamr
08-30-2003, 04:08 PM
Like Julie said, I don't think there is a healthiest. Theres a food for everydog and some foods other dogs can't have. Whatever Sadie likes.

primabella
08-30-2003, 04:20 PM
I wouldn't recommend Iams. Not only are their no nutrients in them and they abuse animals while testing on them. Besides, I have noticed the kibble has an oily feel to it.

But I agree, there is no 'healthiest'. Some do have better ingrediants than others but you shouldn't force your dog to eat something they don't like. :)

KYS
08-30-2003, 05:05 PM
primabella,
The Iams Company has suspended its contract with a research lab it hired to conduct nutritional studies on its pet food products, after allegations made by PETA that dogs and cats at the lab were being abused. :)

I use Canidae, with good results for our furry pups.

*LabLoverKEB*
08-30-2003, 06:27 PM
Thanks everyone for your replies!:)

allanimalswelcome
08-30-2003, 06:42 PM
Iams may be bad but it's all Leo and Patrick will eat. They get really bad diarreah if we switch their diet.

Just go with whatever Sadie likes!

~Rachel

RubyMutt
08-30-2003, 07:28 PM
Why don't you take Sadie to your vet and buy whatever he/she recommends? They would probably know best. :) I'm sure the "healthiest food" varies from dog to dog.

Dogz
08-30-2003, 08:02 PM
I agree with RubyMutt. I just told you what works for my dogs, and what they like. I don't think that Iams is bad, not for my dogs anyway.:) They like those two kinds of dog food, and won't eat anything else, so I would say to get Sadie whatever she likes.:)

Christiansmommy
08-30-2003, 08:45 PM
I know i have recommened this before, but it (chicken soup for the dog lovers soul) has really good ingredients...check out the website...it sold me...you just have to find a pet store near you that sells it...and another great perk...it not only has more natural ingredients in it, but it is cheaper than Eukanube (which you are feeding now)...the pet store i go to, says that their customer's dogs love it...here is the link to the website...

http://www.chickensoupforthepetloverssoul.com/default.html

It is not a human grade food, but has more natural ingredients than most commercial brands. I cant believe it isnt more expensive...but since it isnt considered human grade...i guess that is why...

Robyn

BTW, a 35 lb bag (largest they sell), is $25, where i believe a 40 lb bag (largest Eukanuba sells), is like $36...

shais_mom
08-30-2003, 11:05 PM
I too feed Chicken soup for the Pet Lover's soul.

I think that is what is meant by Iams comments is their quality has diminished over the years. No offense intended.

shais_mom
08-30-2003, 11:07 PM
Actually the best place here on PT to look for dog foods is to do a search in Dog General.
Also try
www.greatgoldens.com The girl that owns this site has done EXTENSIVE research on dog/cat food.

binka_nugget
08-30-2003, 11:09 PM
Like others said, there is no 'healthiest dog food'. Kai did wonderfully on Raw and I intend to switch him back to raw after a vet visit so we could make a specific diet for him to allow him to lose some weight. Right now, he's on Innova. I love their ingredients. Also, Kai's tried wellness before. He seems to know what's good for him. He's only volunteered to eat Nutro Max, Wellness, Canidae, Innova and Royal Canin. He HATES Eukanuba. Also I have a confession, Kai would never eat his Eukanuba so I tried a kibble. After trying it, I knew why he didn't like it. It tasted gross. When we bought wellness, it smelled sooo nice. I didn't even have to try it since he loved it.

CathyBogart
08-30-2003, 11:41 PM
Chicken Soup for the Soul is excellent, as is "Wellness" dog food. We carry both of those at work. :)

wolfsoul
08-31-2003, 12:38 AM
I like Wellness, Nutro and Pets First the most so far. :) But only some of the variations in those brands -- some have corn in them, and I'd like to choose a food without corn.

tikeyas_mom
08-31-2003, 02:49 AM
i feed nutro :). no animal by products :D..

Dobiegirl24
08-31-2003, 04:51 AM
i feed canidae and absolutly love it, as do the pups, lol. It has great ingredients, 3 meats in the first 5 ingredients, gotta love that:) the only other things i would consider switching my pups to are Innova or barf:)

ChrisH
08-31-2003, 05:35 AM
Having changed the food gradually (to save tummy upsets) Bob is now completely on to Burns Real Food for Dogs (chicken and rice). Obviously a longer period is needed to fully evaluate, but so far I, and Bob :), are very impressed!

Here is the link to the Burns website, take a look, I would be interested to know what you all think.:)
Burns Pet Nutrition (http://www.burns-pet-nutrition.co.uk/index.htm)

Chris

kingrattus
09-01-2003, 12:36 AM
Max eats Nutro, its the best in Canada & the other cheap foods almost killed Max & he is permently damaged from them. This is what the vet told us: If u can buy it in a human store, its like feeding ur dog on a candy diet.

stacwase
09-01-2003, 02:25 PM
Well you guys have me convinced! I'm going to try the Chicken Soup. Of course I have to use up the Iams first.

You know - I thought I was really being an extra-good dog owner, feeding them Iams. Hmmm.

*LabLoverKEB*
09-02-2003, 07:24 PM
Thanks sooooo much everyone! I'm still deciding between the Chicken Soup, or the Nutro!:) ;)