PDA

View Full Version : Battle of the Pans

Edwina's Secretary
08-30-2003, 12:27 PM
The competition between Eddie and Edwina has reached a new level. It has come to Battle of the Pans !

A little background...when we moved into this house Edwina refused to have her pan in the basement -- the evil furnace and the evil dehumidifiers! So we compromised with her pan on the landing at the top of the stairs.

Eddie must pass it on the way to his pan in the basement. Sometimes...when there is fresh litter he rolls in it...:rolleyes: and sometimes ....if I don't catch him quick enough he pees in it.

Which makes Edwina angry. So she pees on the tin foil I put in her favorite spot in the dining room.

ENOUGH!!!

So I put a screen over the entrance to the dining room.

So Edwina goes to the basement and pees in Eddie box. Looking at Eddie the whole time.

I hope they come to an arrangement soon!

PayItForward
08-30-2003, 12:37 PM
Oh dear.

Is there not space to place two litter trays side by side at the top of the stairs. Then both cats will have a nearby potty place ?

RedHedd
08-30-2003, 12:42 PM
I feel your pain! Mishi started spraying in the front door entranceway about a month after I got him, so I cleaned the carpet, sprayed it with Nature's Miracle and put a pan there. He LOVED it and, fortunately, stopped his spraying; unfortunately she likes the new box too! She's a major litter flinger :rolleyes: which means I have to vacuum daily. Having guests be presented with a litter box when I open the front door is just not acceptable, fortunately I haven't had too many guests since I set up ths new <ahem> arrangement. She still uses her box in the bathroom too. They like to keep me guessing as to who's peeing where and which pan they prefer :rolleyes:

Now I've purchased another litter box from Foster 8 Smth - a really nice corner module. I'm setting it up this weekend and hopefully I'll be able to remove the pan from my front door. We'll see. Right now they're enjoying the box the new one came in.

Barbara
08-30-2003, 01:48 PM
Oooooohhhh territorial kitties -so annoying!

Here are 2 pans and whoever catches them first may go in one for peeing and in the other one for pottying:(

jenluckenbach
08-30-2003, 01:58 PM
Maybe now I understand why most sources say to have one litter box MORE than you have cats. Which means maybe you should be trying a third box. If Eddie should pee in Edwina's box she might still have another choice of boxes to use. But, however, having Edwina peeing in Eddie's box is not really a bad thing, after all, I doubt that will stop him from using it. He does not seem territorial that way.

Vio&Juni
08-30-2003, 02:06 PM
As you know, Juni used to be a little picky about her litter box, about the location of the litter box. ALL WE NEEDED, was a second kitten with NO problems. I love it now, that she doesn't fuss about anything. Pichu had a great influence on Juni :)

I hope Edwina and Eddie will come to their arrangement soon.

nodgeness
08-30-2003, 02:08 PM
I guess I'm lucky cause both of my kitties just share litter boxes :D making my job much easier. I actually don't use a litter bot like the ones sold @ walmart. I went to the dollar store & bought a big container & they both just love it.

Randi
08-30-2003, 02:30 PM
Oh dear, oh dear! Edwina, you are being so provocative there! :eek: Perhaps you should just agree to change boxes with Eduardo?? But then, you DO want to be the "topdog"!!

Give your secretary a break!

After all, it may not be such a good idea to get Fister a brother or sister. :eek:

TheAntiPam
08-30-2003, 02:47 PM
Originally posted by RedHedd
...she likes the new box too! She's a major litter flinger :rolleyes:
One way to help with the litter getting out of the box is to put the litter pan inside yet another plastic box or container. I have found that Rubbermaid or other household storage boxes with low sides will fit a litter box and leave 2" to 4" all around the litter box as a place to catch the "flings". The cats can easily climb over the edge of the first box to get to the 2nd box (the actual litter box).

I even found that a storage box made for a big Christmas wreath is the right size to fit my huge covered "Booda" litter box. I believe it reduces my vacuuming by about 80% - worth it!

Good luck in the pan wars!!!

kimlovescats
08-30-2003, 04:05 PM
I've just experienced the same thing with my 3 recent feral rescue. The first two .... boy and fluffy girl used the litter pan right away, no problem.... but when the 3rd one, little wild girl, came in she was pooping outside the box ... over near the tub. So, I put another pan in that spot, and PRESTO, she's using the box! :rolleyes:

krazyaboutkatz
08-30-2003, 06:45 PM
I'm also lucky because all 4 of my cats share their 2 litterboxes. :D I would get a 3rd one but I don't know where I'd put it. I sure hope that the pan wars will end soon and I also agree that you may need to get a 3rd litterbox. Good luck.:)

catmandu
08-31-2003, 10:04 AM
I have to agree with my friend Jen that a third, neutral litter box would hopefully reduce the dueling Pee-ers!I have 8 now , and it is odd that certaain Cats use certain boxes. And none like the Clay litter!Odd!

09-01-2003, 08:17 AM
My cats share their litter-boxes too. Of course, when Maya gets the chance to go into our garden, she is most happy to fertilize it ;) !
I agree with it that it might be better to put 2 litterboxes on those stairs, and maybe also in the basement!

Edwina's Secretary
09-02-2003, 12:09 PM
(knock on wood)

Let me start by saying that although another box at the top of the stairs would have its advantages, the one that is there already takes up more than half the landing and a second one could make going down (or up!) the stairs challenging -- especially for my niece who lives down there.

However, they seem to have come to some agreement. They both use the basement box -- Eddie occasionally pees in the one at the top of the stairs.

There has been NOTHING in the dining room and that is what matters most of all!

Thanks for all your advice and ---- keep your fingers crossed!

jenluckenbach
09-02-2003, 12:16 PM
ANY good news is GREAT news. I'll make sure everyone here crosses their toes and fingers for continued success.

ScantyNebula
09-02-2003, 12:19 PM
Originally posted by nodgeness
I guess I'm lucky cause both of my kitties just share litter boxes :D making my job much easier.

Same here - ever since the first day we got lily they didn't mind peeing in the same box.

I really do hope Edwina starts accepting Eddie soon! This hostility has been going on far too long! ;)

aly
09-02-2003, 02:18 PM
Sara, I really feel your pain ... but your post gave me a much needed giggle today. It was just really funny the way you worded it. And I can imagine Edwina doing her business while glaring at Eddie, hehehe :D

slick
09-02-2003, 03:37 PM
I'm lucky too because both Max and Speckles have their own litter boxes. They do sometimes use each other's but it's no big deal to them as long as it's scooped. I'm really "anal" about scooping....

RedHedd
09-06-2003, 04:55 PM
Here's Mitzi "modeling" the new critter-littler box I got for them. http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid78/p81072c8b2a3014a730a1548178b24e54/fb2a6643.jpg

I guess he's too big for it as he hasn't tried it (yet). :rolleyes:

NoahsMommy
09-06-2003, 11:33 PM
How ladylike of Edwina to go potty only on the foil and not anywhere else. :)

Glad they are willing to share boxes...they really can be peticular sometimes.

We have four large litterboxes inside and one large one outside in the cat enclosure. I have to say that I really feel lucky...with me being sick, its hard for me to change the litter boxes every day. Luckily, they don't seem to mind.

jenluckenbach
09-07-2003, 04:52 AM
How ladylike of Edwina to go potty only on the foil and not anywhere else
Yes, but the foil was SUPPOSE to prevent her from going in that spot. :rolleyes: