PDA

View Full Version : Pet Friendly???

Rachel
08-30-2003, 06:17 AM
Illinois has suspended issuing the pet-friendly license plate for which $25 goes to the Pet Overpopulation Fund and subsequently to animal organizations. According to the Associated Press, *a company Pet Friendly Inc of Fairhope, Ala which sells rope toys for pets, has billed the state $563,000 for use of the term.* Pet Friendly apparently was granted a trademark on Jan. 8, 2002.

Illinois had issued 700 pet-friendly plates since they became available in January of 2002 (of which I have one) and there were another 100 motorists who had ordered them but now have been told to get another plate.

The Associated Press also reported that the president of the Pet Friendly Company (Charles Weinacker, Jr. ) has said that he doesn't mind the state using the term, but they are going to pay him a license fee and a royalty for every tag sold.

My question is, just how pet friendly is Pet FriendlyInc? :mad: :mad: :mad:

jenluckenbach
08-30-2003, 02:10 PM
I think this warrants an all out boycott of Pet Friendly products. And I hope Illinois can come up with a new pet plate soon. I wish PA had a pet plate. All they have is a spay/neuter plate that can be used on the front of the vehicle. To me, this is NOT satisfactory, I will wait for the real thing. Although they do have a wild resources plate and a zoo plate, both nice, but I want one for the household PET!

Rachel
08-30-2003, 05:01 PM
Jen, the sad part is that this plate has a darling drawing of a cat and a dog on it, the initials PF on the side and on the bottom of it states *I AM PET FRIENDLY*. If that constitutes a trademark violation, these kinds of trademarks shouldn't be given out. I think the State of Illinois just caved in on this matter because they didn't want to be bothered to fight it.

I just hope they don't recall my plate.

tatsxxx11
08-30-2003, 05:23 PM
Grrrr:mad: "Pet Friendly," indeed!! And think of all of the animals that will now be denied the $25.00 donation!:( I hope that Ill. can issue another form of a pet friendly plate soon! No "Pet Friendly" products for me!! Al Franken fought Fox's attempts to claim "Fair and Balanced" was their "trademarked" phrase in court, after he included it in his current book title. Fox LOST! I can't imagine that the the phrase "pet friendly" could be trademarked! There's a whole discussion going on now in the news about attempts to trademark these common phrases. Most legal analysts say such cases are bound to lose in court. I wish Ill. had fought this!:mad:

sammi
08-30-2003, 09:25 PM
I would say the company isn't very pet friendly! The pets loss again.:(

aly
08-30-2003, 10:24 PM
Geez, thats horrible. I would be really upset if my plates were recalled. I hope you get to keep yours Rachel. I feel bad for the people that ordered them and now can't have them. Ours in Texas say Animal Friendly. Here is what mine looks like:

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid77/p66979640b23bef2b3ddfcd5b504d99d3/fb3b8598.jpg

KYS
08-30-2003, 11:03 PM
I wished we had those where I live too.
I agree, Pet Friendly is to common of a term to have a
trade mark. Shame on Pet friendly products,
they should have worked something out with the
State, so the animals still could benefit. :(

dukedogsmom
09-02-2003, 10:53 AM
That totally sucks. Something good was being done and now, because of this lawsuit crazy world, will probably lose most of the money they made for this good cause.

Logan
09-02-2003, 11:32 AM
Seems like the silly man would take advantage of the "free advertising" if he is truly Pet Friendly!!! Heck, I'm "Pet Friendly"......is he going to sue me?????

Going to make a change to my signature right now!!!!! :p I am now "Mother of Many and Pet Friendly"

Cinder & Smoke
09-02-2003, 06:40 PM
Get his attention!

We just sent what I'd hope is one of THOUSANDS of e-mails of Complaint...

His Name = Charles Weinacker, Jr

The Company E-mail = [email protected]

Web Site = http://www.petfriendly.com/ (http://www.petfriendly.com/)

Looks like they're just getting started...
WHAT a Way to kick things off! :p

Help FLOOD his in-box!
Be *polite* - but let him know you'll never buy anything with his Company Name on it and will help spread *the Word* about his very NON-Friendly action against Pets in Illinois!
UNLESS, of course, he stops his actions against Illinois; allows them to sell the Plate - royalty FREE; and maybe even makes a Donation to Illinois for "pain & suffering".

Our "note to charlie" is on it's way!

/s/ Phred

Rachel
09-02-2003, 08:50 PM
Thanks, Phred! I don't know why I couldn't find that.:o

I wrote my email to Charles. I tried my best to convey how counter productive his legal action was. That *polite part* was hard, but I think I succeeded.

Rachel
09-05-2003, 10:57 PM
Got an email from Charlie.....Here is what he said..

Dear Concerned,

Many people have responded to us concerning the recent issue of “Pet Friendly” automobile license plates issued by the states of Illinois and Missouri. The negative nature of this response has been due largely to some decidedly one-sided newspaper articles which have appeared recently.

We understand (and applaud) your passion when it comes to issues concerning pets and animals, because we share that passion and devotion to pets. But before you fire off a salvo of “poison pen” emails to us, we suggest you listen to our side of the story.

First, Pet Friendly, Inc. has been and will continue to be a leader in the causes of pet adoptions and humane treatment of pets. We have been selling a “Pet Friendly” car tag since 1995 (long before Illinois or any other state thought of the idea) to generate funds for pet causes. Under this program, 80% of the monies goes to the pets and the other 20% goes to the cost of making the license
plates. We make nothing. Pet Friendly, Inc. is also the founder of both the “Pet Adoptions” and “No Kill Shelters” programs, which are now nationwide. Through the years, the focus of our company, our people and our products has been toward the betterment of conditions for our pets. Anyone who claims that we are “just in it for the money” is simply misinformed.

So, why do we object to those states (or any other entity) using our name without our permission? Contrary to what the media reports would leave one to believe, it's not the cause behind the license plates that we object to; in fact, we support it. We simply object to the unauthorized use of our trademarked company name. To allow this use could set legal precedents in which others might also use our name, ultimately rendering it worthless. As you know, a name is one of the most valuable assets any company owns.

Furthermore, only a small portion of the monies collected for these state license plates actually goes to the benefit of pets. The rest—being collected using our name—simply goes to the states to be used however they choose. Certainly, there are many other ways in which you can spend money to help pets which will more directly benefit them. Of course, if you really want a car tag that says “Pet Friendly,” you may purchase one from us. We'll not only send you a tag, but a receipt showing where the money went and what animal it helped—we guarantee it!

At Pet Friendly, Inc., we appreciate your concern and your passion to help pets.

This was my response...

Mr. Weinacker,

I read your response and remain perplexed. The State of Illinois has a variety of plates which allow its drivers the option to have a special plate that speaks to something near and dear to their hearts. The extra money which we pay for the special plate goes to the cause itself.

On the Illinois license plate are the initials PF and the phrase, *I AM PET FRIENDLY* That is a sentence with words from the English language. It identifies the owner of those plates as being pet friendly, that is friendly to pets. Are you saying that anyone who sells anything with the words pet friendly within is in violation of your trademark? In Illinois we have license plates both on the front and rear of our cars. Whatever plates you sell, would not be Illinois plates, legal for our cars.

As I indicated in my previous email, I believe your action in this matter is counter productive to the goals of your company. The people who have become aware of this situation do not feel friendly to the company Pet Friendly. I, for one, was not in anyway enlightened to feel otherwise based on your explanation. I fear that as more and more pet lovers hear of your stance on this matter, more and more of them will become adverse to purchasing anything from your company. Surely that is not something which is desirable. Please reconsider your stance. Do not use your trademark to deny people the ability to use this phrase. Do not deny animal welfare organizations who would receive this extra money the right to have the much needed funds raised by the printing of these special plates. Do not deny the drivers of the State of Illinois the right to have these special plates that identify their passionate love of their pets. It takes a big person to admit that they may have been overreacting. Let pet lovers once again see the phrase *pet friendly* in a positive light and seek out your company as a way to thank you for backing off this stance that so many see as extremely negative.

Tubby & Peanut's Mom
09-06-2003, 10:20 AM
Thanks for the infor Rachel. I was wondering about these plates. About a month ago or so I looked into getting one. I couldn't find an application anywhere - even the Secretary of State's website. So now I guess I'll have to wait until they come out with something else.

And I agree, how pet friendly is Pet Friendly Inc.? Sheesh, anything to make a buck these days. :rolleyes: