PDA

View Full Version : Need Advice on Piper

GoldenRetrLuver
08-28-2003, 08:15 PM
Hi, I need some advice on my cockatiel, Piper. When I took him out of his cage, I noticed a bald spot right on his wing. I really don't know how it got there, he is also molting...does anyone know what it could be? Any advice?

Thanks.

magcpen
08-28-2003, 08:28 PM
I just bought a book on cockatiels and I think it has a section on molting, I'll get it....

"Molting is normal, though, and isnothing to become alarmed about unless you see bald patches (with the exception of the bald patch behind the crest in some lutino cokatiels.)If you do see bald patches, take your bord to an avian veterinarian right away."

Hope that helps. :)

GoldenRetrLuver
08-28-2003, 08:30 PM
Wow, thanks for replying.

Eep! ~worried~ :(

magcpen
08-28-2003, 08:36 PM
I hope I didn't cause you any more anxiety than necessary. I think the book just suggests it as a precuation, Piper just might need some help preening or something. :)

GoldenRetrLuver
08-28-2003, 08:46 PM
Oh, no don't worry you didn't. :) Thank you so much for the information.

PCB! Where are you?! :(

popcornbird
08-28-2003, 10:13 PM
A bald spot? Could you take a picture of it?

Where is it, on top of his wing or under? Under their wings, the feathers are normally a bit thinner than the rest, and may appear *bald* when they take a shower, but when they are dry, there shouldn't be a bald spot. If it was on his head behind the crest, I wouldn't worry, because that could mean he has lutino in him. Its a lutino *genetic thing*. How big is the bald spot? Have you seen him picking at his feathers? Picking and preening is not the same thing. Preening is normal, but feather picking is when they constantly pluck their feathers out, and its not normal. I'll try to look something up for you on the web.

GoldenRetrLuver
08-28-2003, 10:20 PM
PHEW! I feel so stupid lol. :o The bald spots gone. Yes, I gave him a bath to cool him off and thats when the bald spot showed up. Its gone now since hes dry. It was on top of his wing .

It wasn't that big. Maybe about the size of half a dime.

Thanks again eveyone! :D

popcornbird
08-28-2003, 10:25 PM
Ohhh was it the little knuckle type of bone that showed (under skin of course)? Its just like a little tiny dot on top of the wing. That always shows when you give them a shower and get them a little *too* wet! LOL Don't worry about that. It was just a wet tiel. :p

GoldenRetrLuver
08-28-2003, 10:27 PM
Originally posted by popcornbird
Ohhh was it the little knuckle type of bone that showed (under skin of course)? Its just like a little tiny dot on top of the wing. That always shows when you give them a shower and get them a little *too* wet! LOL Don't worry about that. It was just a wet tiel. :p

Yep! Thats what it was!