PDA

View Full Version : cats and pregnant women??

Amber
08-28-2003, 07:16 PM
I just heard that cats shouldnt be aloud to be around pregnant women? is this true? and if it is can somebody explain why?
My mom was around cats when she was preg with me?
Im O.K.! lol just wondered why they say this.

ScantyNebula
08-28-2003, 07:17 PM
I think its because there is something in the cats litter that can be harmful if handled by pregnant women =/

moosmom
08-28-2003, 08:36 PM
No, it's not true. The only thing pregnant women should not do is clean the litterbox. Toxoplasmosis is the problem. It is a bacteria found in the feces of cats. They should let their husbands or SO's do litterbox duty till after the baby is born.

bisi.cat
08-29-2003, 01:14 AM
Toxoplasmosis is the problem.

That's right...but the Toxoplasmosis Bacteria can be also found in raw meat (pork)...so they recommend to serve meat only well-done...
Toxoplasmosis is like having the flu...you don't feel well have fever etc. it's in now way a harm for adults or children...it can be only a harm for UNBORN children, but however it's NO REASON to give away a cat!!!

Sadly still many doctors recommend this however!!!
Most people already carry this bacteria, which doesn't matter if you already have it when pregnant...it can only effect the unborn child if you get it WHILE pregnant...
If you already carry the bacteria you don't have to worry to get it again, you then are immun to get it again...
It's a little complicated, I suppose?!:confused:

You can also be tested if you carry this bacteria to rule out any worries!!!

BUT AGAIN IT'S NO REASON TO GIVE AWAY A CAT!!!

HayleyRosie
08-29-2003, 07:23 AM
Just get your husband to clean the litter and love your kitties the same as always.

Cataholic
08-29-2003, 10:05 AM
:mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

This makes me so MAD! This myth must be debunked. It isn't cats, it isn't necessarily the litter, nor the feces, and as Bisi.cat pointed out, it is also in undercooked meat, on unwashed produce, in dirt around the home.....(Did you know all that bisi.cat? He he he).

EVERYONE should wash hands after changing the cats' litter. EVERYONE. Just like everyone should wash produce, cook meat, blah, blah, blah.

There is one time in a women's gestation period (and I think it is at the end of the pregnancy) that the unborn fetus is at risk. And, there is something about the risks then being less risky than at the beginning of the gestation? I DO NOT HAVE MY FACTS STRAIGHT ON THE TIMING.

But, I do know that giving away your cats because you are pregnant (or just recently had a baby) is not factually supported.

bisi.cat
08-29-2003, 10:23 AM
Originally posted by Cataholic

This makes me so MAD! This myth must be debunked.

Yeah! How true!!!

Every now and then such articles pop up in the press/news to worry people...but the people often only get half of the truth and that turns into strange myths...

Instead of writing about that, they should report how many good things our pets are doing to us, how many of them help heal and are a comfort...a friend...how wonderful it is to have a "cat nurse" around while you're ill...
AND BESIDE, DO YOU KNOW HOW MANY BACTERIAS YOU BRING HOME UNDER YOUR SHOES WHEN YOU RETURN FROM OUTDOORS???!!!;)

Amber
08-29-2003, 02:20 PM
ohh I see!! That does make me upset/angry! just wondered cause in Health we were talking about and I didnt understand it.
but now i do!

popcornbird
08-30-2003, 03:05 AM
Originally posted by Cataholic

This makes me so MAD! This myth must be debunked. It isn't cats, it isn't necessarily the litter, nor the feces, and as Bisi.cat pointed out, it is also in undercooked meat, on unwashed produce, in dirt around the home.....(Did you know all that bisi.cat? He he he).

EVERYONE should wash hands after changing the cats' litter. EVERYONE. Just like everyone should wash produce, cook meat, blah, blah, blah.

There is one time in a women's gestation period (and I think it is at the end of the pregnancy) that the unborn fetus is at risk. And, there is something about the risks then being less risky than at the beginning of the gestation? I DO NOT HAVE MY FACTS STRAIGHT ON THE TIMING.

But, I do know that giving away your cats because you are pregnant (or just recently had a baby) is not factually supported.

This isn't the only myth to this story. When I used to play with my friends' cats with my friends when I was a little girl, this woman came up to us and told us not to play with cats too much. :rolleyes: When my friend asked why, she said that little girls who play with cats sometimes have problems getting babies when they grow up. :rolleyes: Obviously, not true. I have older cousins that had cats since they were like 5 or so, grew up with them, STILL have them, and are now married with children and all is well. I know these 2 girls that will not TOUCH cats or even go near them because they think they touching cats is bad if you want to have kids later on. :rolleyes: Oh suuuuuuuuure, a 16 year old that isn't going to be pregnant for at least another 5+ years is going to have problems by touching a cat now. :rolleyes: Not only that, but they stay away from any animal just because of this reason. :rolleyes: I have no idea what's in their heads about animals and babies, but I know that whatever they are thinking is false. It makes me mad and sad at the same time. People all over the world live with cats and have kids at the same time, all with no problems. I'm sure its the animal haters making up these stories to scare animal lovers away from them. :rolleyes: Pathetic

Cataholic
08-30-2003, 06:31 AM
Pops...:mad: :mad:
Not at you, of course. But, how ignorant can people be!?!?
It is the toxo, I am sure, that made that woman say that....:mad: :mad: