PDA

View Full Version : old board games

lovemyshiba
08-28-2003, 02:52 PM
At work the other day, we started talking about games we used to play when we were younger. We have a little variety in age, so some of us hadn't heard of some of them.
One that was new to me was called "Pass the Pig"--there are actual little pigs that you roll (like dice) and your score depends on the way the pigs land!!! We were discussing games like Candyland, Chutes and Ladders, Hungry Hungry Hippos, Cooties, silly stuff like that.

Anyone remember any cool games from when you were younger???

ILoveMyAbbyGirl
08-28-2003, 02:53 PM
Ohh!! CandyLand was my FAVORITE game ever! I used to play it a lot with my great-grandma when I was little.

lovemyshiba
08-28-2003, 02:55 PM
Candyland was definitely one of my favorites.

Here's the pig game
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3143394485&category=235

Anyone remember "mouse trap"? It was a complicated game to set up, but I don't ever remember playing it, just setting the whole thing up....

or how about "operation?"

ILoveMyAbbyGirl
08-28-2003, 02:57 PM
Operation is fun, but I wasn't very good at it... How about... Twister? Not really a board game, but it's fun.

Dobiegirl24
08-28-2003, 02:58 PM
Originally posted by lovemyshiba
"mouse trap"? It was a complicated game to set up, but I don't ever remember playing it, just setting the whole thing up....

LOL. same with me;) :p

Kfamr
08-28-2003, 03:02 PM
I don't remember the exact name of it but my brother and i used to always play like dynamic dominoes. It was very complicated to set up but we loved it. My parents hated it because of so many pieces.

I also forget the name of these bu the one with the marbles... The marbles are held up with little sticks and each played pulls a stick. The marbles fall sometimes and whoever ends up with less marbles wins.

Also, the game with the blocks. It starts with a 'J' i think. Where you sit up the blocks 3 by 3. Each played gets a turn taking one off. Whoever makes the tower fall, loses.

lovemyshiba
08-28-2003, 03:04 PM
Originally posted by Kfamr

Also, the game with the blocks. It starts with a 'J' i think. Where you sit up the blocks 3 by 3. Each played gets a turn taking one off. Whoever makes the tower fall, loses.

Jenga???

ILoveMyAbbyGirl
08-28-2003, 03:04 PM
KerPlunk is the one with the marbles and Jenga is the blocks one.. both are fun, especially KerPlunk.

Kfamr
08-28-2003, 03:05 PM
Yes, not exactly boards games though. They were so fun!

Have any of you played Penguin Shuffle? It's a cute game. ;)

lovemyshiba
08-28-2003, 03:06 PM
I don't think I ever played Ker-plunk

Twister, lol!!

Aly's foster pups know how to play that game:
http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid73/pced8ef3d0b58bc4c33dd08cef9a47eed/fb755e97.jpg

lol:)

ILoveMyAbbyGirl
08-28-2003, 03:07 PM
I usually stick with computer games. :)

popcornbird
08-28-2003, 03:18 PM
OMG I LOVED Mouse Trap! I actually wish we still had it but my parents gave it to my younger cousins several years ago. It was sooooooooo cute!

I also enjoyed Guess Who, Life, Scrabble, Snakes and Ladders, Ludo, and others. I still play some of these games, but we've lost most of them. :( We still have Scrabble and Snakes and Ladders, and Life may be hidden in the garage somewhere.

LOL @ Aly's puppies! That DOES look like Twister! Twister was a silly game but great exercise! :p

primabella
08-28-2003, 03:37 PM
My favorite games were, and still are, Life, Guess who, Clue and Jenga. We used to play that a lot when we were bored.

I hated Mouse Trap because it took so long to set up and then it never worked out properly. We gave up on it. :p

My cousin gave us a bunch of his old games. One was the Mad Magazine Board Game. I loved that one too. Lol ;)

RubyMutt
08-28-2003, 08:03 PM
Oh... I LOVED Hungry Hungry Hippos!! That was by far my favorite childhood game :D

kingrattus
08-28-2003, 10:11 PM
I loved & still do play checkers, monopoly & monopoly jr., backgamon. I use to play care bears, mouse trap, hungry hungry hippos, twister,it from the pit, lizards, & god knows what else we had.

But backgammon is my altime fav, I play it online all the time.

dukedogsmom
08-28-2003, 10:23 PM
Anyone remember pickup sticks?? And this isn't really a game but I loved it, Spirograph. Here is a link to the pickup sticks. I think somewhere I've actually got the original sticks and can! Now if I can just find them. I used to love playing it. Now, I can't really remember how :(
http://www.sohotoys.com/htm/remember.asp

dukedogsmom
08-28-2003, 10:25 PM
Originally posted by primabella
My cousin gave us a bunch of his old games. One was the Mad Magazine Board Game. I loved that one too. Lol ;)
I have that game and my niece likes to play it with my mom. Too funny.

lovemyshiba
08-28-2003, 10:30 PM
I remember pickup sticks!!!! What a fun game!!!!

Those of you who liked hungry hungry hippo--have you played it lately?? I played last Christmas with my cousins, and boy is it LOUD!!!!!! No wonder we always had to play in the basement!!!!

Logan
08-28-2003, 10:30 PM
http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid73/pced8ef3d0b58bc4c33dd08cef9a47eed/fb755e97.jpg

A perfect game of Twister!!!! :D :D :D

I remember Spirograph, Valerie! I searched and searched for a complete set for Helen when she was younger, remembering how many hours of fun I had with it as a child. I finally found a "car" version, not as good as the real thing, but she did get a lot of use out of it for a long time.

As a young child, I also enjoyed Hi Ho Cheerio, Candy Land and Chutes and Ladders. Am I dating myself here???? :o The good thing is that Helen enjoyed all three of those games as a young child too!

Logan

Kfamr
08-28-2003, 10:32 PM
I LOVED Spirograph!! Gosh.. now i want to go buy these games again. We sold most of ours in garage sales.

Nomilynn
08-29-2003, 02:41 AM
I've always liked the board game "Sorry!" :) I used to play with the peices too, and make all the like coloured ones families :)

RubyMutt
08-29-2003, 08:33 AM
Originally posted by lovemyshiba
Those of you who liked hungry hungry hippo--have you played it lately?? I played last Christmas with my cousins, and boy is it LOUD!!!!!! No wonder we always had to play in the basement!!!!

No :( The orange hippo broke years and years ago and my parents threw the game away. :( However, we do have a similar game called Frog Soccer that my niece plays when she comes up. It is so loud!! Starts to drive me nuts after awhile! :eek:

My niece also loves to play pickup sticks. She's so good at it!! She's only 6 years old and she can kick my butt at that game!

Karen
08-29-2003, 08:53 AM
We loved Monopoly, Scrabble (never won a game in my parent's house, never lost one anywhere else - that's how competitive Scrabble gets in a house of a writer and voracious readers gets) and the game of Life! We also (the whole family) played Triominos, card games, the works!

dukedogsmom
08-29-2003, 09:14 AM
How could I have forgotten Scrabble? I grew up playing it and still do. I hardly ever win, though.

tatsxxx11
08-29-2003, 09:20 AM
I was just thinking about this the other day! Summer vacations were without TV, videos and computers so we played lots of card and board games at night. My favorites were Candyland, Chutes and Ladders, Sorry! (loved the pieces!) and later, Monopoly, Clue, Scrabble and Life! Oh, and pick up sticks!!:D Anyone ever have an "etch a sketch??"

RICHARD
08-29-2003, 11:24 AM
not a board game.....

yahtzee!!!!!

the only rule change in the my house is that you
have to yell, "yahtzee" real loud when you get one...otherwise you don't get the points.:eek:

Uabassoon
08-29-2003, 03:11 PM
I still love board games like monopoly and scrabble. But I remember as I kid I loved Guess Who, trivial pursuit, outburst and operation.

lovemyshiba
08-29-2003, 03:23 PM
lol at Yahtzee Richard!!!!

We used to play at my grandmas all the time--especially when my cousin's came from New York--just made it better with more players!!!

I loved Sorry and Life too--I still have both of them!!!!

Cataholic
08-29-2003, 07:55 PM
Originally posted by RubyMutt
Oh... I LOVED Hungry Hungry Hippos!! That was by far my favorite childhood game :D

That was prolly mine, too! I hated Monopoly (took too long), operation (got scared waiting for the 'shock')...loved trouble, loved kerplunk....loved knock your block off...

Christiansmommy
08-29-2003, 09:01 PM
Anyone ever play inner circle? And don't break the ice...that was my brother's game. We loved playing games...chutes and ladders, scrabble, life, candy land, scattagories, clue... i even had a wheel of fortune board game :) Hmmm..what else...checkers (i mean Connect Four)...in that thing where you would drop the checkers down...red and black coin shaped checkers...that was a big favorite!! :)

As i got a little older...we used to play Othello...that is a cool game!

Oops, i didnt mean checkers...i meant Connect Four....that was FUN!!

Karen
08-29-2003, 09:07 PM
Originally posted by tatsxxx11
Anyone ever have an "etch a sketch??"

"An" etch-a-sketch? I wore out one, my brother accidentally broke one, and the third one I had eventually got passed along to my younger brother. I was CHAMPION at etch-a-sketch, could do curves and diagonals smoothly ...

Cookiebaker
08-30-2003, 06:19 AM
I *love* board games!! Yard sales are the best place to find oldies but goodies, and often times brand new ones, too!Otherwise they are so expensive in the store!

smokey the elder
08-30-2003, 08:38 AM
Ah, Etch-a Sketch! I used one of those to explain calculus once (long geeky story...:D ) My grandma taught me how to play Scrabble and I got really good at it. We used to play Monopoly on snow days. Does anyone remember the game Trouble? I used to play Parcheesi, Chinese Checkers, regular checkers, Life, and an oddball game you probably never heard of called Anti-Monopolyl