PDA

View Full Version : Starting a Dog Park?

Dobiegirl24
08-28-2003, 12:01 PM
Where i live we have no dog park(well, the closest one is an hour away, but i soon found out for some reason it is not totally fenced in!), we have a lot of dogs that live in my area though. Anyone know how I could someone get a dog park here? We really need one. :D

lovemyshiba
08-28-2003, 02:28 PM
I see that you are in Pennsylvania also. Where do you live??

Getting a dog park started is a project I would also love to undertake--we need one here!!!!

Any information would be appreciated.

Last months Dog Fancy had some tips, starting with getting petitions signed by interested dog owners, and making friends with a dog friendly member of your local government. I know it is a lot of work, plus you have to have the land to do it, and be willing to try to raise money.

Dobiegirl24
08-28-2003, 02:38 PM
I live a little south of Pittsburgh in Washington :)

Dixieland Dancer
08-29-2003, 06:54 AM
I see you live in Washington, PA. I live in Sewickley - about 15 minutes north of Pittsburgh. Sewickley has a great dog park. It has over 2500 acres. There are no fenced in areas but trail after trail of hiking trails. There is a huge field where daily doggie fun takes place. There are no roads within 1/2 mile of the place (except the road to the parking lot) so there is no worry about cars. In addition the park is maintained so the grass is always cut and the fields are lush and green. It is a virtual doggie paradise. When my furkids get a wiff that we are going to the dog park they just shake with excitement.

dukedogsmom
08-29-2003, 09:31 AM
There isn't one closer than at least an hour from me, either. I wish we had one here!

Kfamr
08-29-2003, 11:20 AM
We have two great ones within 5-10 minutes. Just move down here. :p

I'm not sure about how to get on started. Maybe asking park rangers at your local park.

ChrisH
08-29-2003, 01:55 PM
Dobiegirl24, you may find some answers here:

How to start a DogPark (http://www.dogpark.com/parkhow.html)

:D :D :D

Chris

Dobiegirl24
08-29-2003, 02:58 PM
Originally posted by ChrisH
Dobiegirl24, you may find some answers here:

How to start a DogPark (http://www.dogpark.com/parkhow.html)

:D :D :D

Chris

thanks!:D