PDA

View Full Version : Sadly Gem had to be put down

catmandu
08-28-2003, 09:33 AM
As he had advaced FIP. The thing was that he was abused and took me a long time to catch him. But the vet said that he was carrying the FIP for a long time, so catching him earlier wouldnt have helped. Of course I threw out all the dishes and washed the porch.So that Nervous and other cats wont be infected. And Nugget has gone to be tested , I will find out today.Please pray that he hasnt caught it. It was sad today knowing that Gem was not going to be there but at least his suffering is over. And now he can be healthy and play with his fellow Cat Angels at the Rainbow Bridge. RIP Gem.

catlover4ever
08-28-2003, 09:41 AM
I'm so very sorry. It takes a special person to be able to make such a hard decision, know in your heart that you did the right thing for Gem.

Everybody on the Rainbow Bridge will be there to greet him with open paws.

ScantyNebula
08-28-2003, 09:50 AM
Poor Gem .. I'm so sorry :( I will be thinking about Nugget .. I hope everything is ok. :)

K & L
08-28-2003, 10:51 AM
How sad. We've only at to put down one cat in the park and it wasn't easy. Like you said, he will suffer no more.

moosmom
08-28-2003, 11:15 AM
Catmandu,

I am so sorry to hear about poor Gem. Please listen to me, as I speak from experience.

IF Nugget tests positive for FIP, which he probably will, it doesn't necessarily mean a death sentence for him. It simply means that he was exposed to FIP, not that he actually HAS the disease.

MooShoo tested positive for FIP at the age of 9 months. He is now 3 years old and weighs 14 pounds!! All of my cats have since been exposed to it as well because they've been around Moo.

Before I started fostering cats from the shelter, I asked my vet about Moo and his testing positive for FIP. She told me that the only way you can positively identify what type of FIP (FIP is 7 coronaviruses) is when the cat passes and a necropsy is done. She said it would be a waste of time to have every single one of my cats tested.

Here are some links that might help you understand it better.

http://web.vet.cornell.edu/public/fhc/fip.html (I have the Cornell Book of Cat which I consider my bible!!)

http://www.animalhealthchannel.com/fip/

http://www.thevet.com/vetfip1.htm

I hope these will help you. Cats with FIP can and DO live happy, healthy lives. MooShoo is living proof and so are my other cats who have been exposed to Moo

Unless Nugget is very sick, please take him home and let him enjoy life. Do NOT let your vet talk you into euthanization. And please keep us posted.

Cataholic
08-28-2003, 11:25 AM
I am so sorry about Gem. He is playing happily playing now at the RB.

08-28-2003, 11:41 AM
Sorry to hear about Gem....!
RIP sweet cat, you were a real "gem" to your humans :)

Take care, Catmandu!

momoffuzzyfaces
08-28-2003, 12:15 PM
I'm so sorry you had to let Gem go. I know how hard it is.
Gem, rest and play at the RB now. My Leroy will be happy to show you around and introduce you to all my RB cats too. You will be missed, sweetheart.:(

bisi.cat
08-28-2003, 01:15 PM
This is so sad, but hopefully Gem will have a wonderful life at RB now...whole and healthy and happy!!!

I hope and pray for Nugget to get a clean check of health!!!

Edwina's Secretary
08-28-2003, 01:56 PM
Godspeed Gem!

ChrisH
08-28-2003, 03:43 PM
I am s sorry to hear about Gem.
Rest in Peace dear kitty.

Barbara
08-28-2003, 04:02 PM
I am so sorry for Gem. I found it very interesting what Donna had to say about FIP and hope Nugget has a long and happy life.

Miss Meow
08-28-2003, 04:12 PM
I'm so sorry about Gem, what a sad end to his life.

I hope the outlook is good for Nugget. Donna has posted some sage advice that helps hopefully :)

jazzcat
08-28-2003, 04:45 PM
I'm so sorry about Gem.

I pray Nugget will test negative.

slick
08-28-2003, 05:23 PM
Gary, I'm so sorry about Gem but at least he's happy and healthy at the RB and you will meet again some day. Praying that Nugget is negative. Please keep us posted.

kimlovescats
08-28-2003, 06:05 PM
I'm so sorry about Gem, but thank you for all you did for him. ;)

krazyaboutkatz
08-28-2003, 09:02 PM
I'm so sorry to hear about Gem. :( RIP sweet Gem. Hopefully Nugget will test negative.

NoahsMommy
08-28-2003, 09:26 PM
Its so sad that the best creatures on the planet cannot stay longer than we need them for. :( They, truely are angels, sent to us when we need them and return when God calls them back.

Bless you, Gem.

I pray that Nugget can live a long, happy life, regardless of what they find, if anything.

weeze
08-28-2003, 09:33 PM
so sorry for your loss.. we're praying for you and your other kitties as well.

catmandu
08-29-2003, 09:30 AM
My little Gold Nugget has tested negative for FIP! Thank God as all my cats would have to be tested even the ones who know that when I bring out the carrier , RUN! Gem had it as good as I could make it , his last meal was T Bone Steak , reduced at the Price Chopper! Thank You for all the kind Emails! Now I have to catch and have Nervous the Big Orange tested , then move him in. Wish me luck as Moose The Magnificent has put a moritorium on new Cats! And Nugget wants out . He was a feral Cat and not used to 24/7 indoor life!Gary.

gini
08-29-2003, 10:33 AM
I am so sorry that you had to make such a painful decision.

But bless you for giving Gem so much love and care.