PDA

View Full Version : Cancer and Radiation

RobiLee
08-27-2003, 03:33 PM
Hello All! I have been diagnosed with uterine cancer. I have already had 2 operations. The first was a hysterectomy and then I had to go back and have a lymph node disection done. The second surgery was a tough one and things did not go well. I guess I started bleeding really bad and they had to figure out what the problem was and fix that. Because of all the bleeding they were unable to get to any lymph nodes. The doctor decided to sew me up instead of putting my body through any more trauma. It has been a tough recovery but I am doing better now. I just seem to be very tired. I now have to go through radiation. I will go 5 days a week for 5 weeks. Yuck!! I was wondering if anyone here has had to deal with radiation and what it is like. I go for my radiation consultation tomorrow. I guess this is where I meet the radiation doc and learn all about what they are going to do to me. I'm a bit nervous. Thanks for listening!

Have a great day...Robin

slick
08-27-2003, 04:15 PM
RobiLee: Sorry to hear about this. There are many websites out there that can give you a bit more detail including the ACS and I'm sure you have done your research. I've had friends and relatives that have gone through radiation and some were fine and some got sick from it. It all depends on the person. I've been blessed with a cancer-free body so am unable to give you any advice. Just know that if you need support I'm there. I know the Can. Cancer Society has a support group that matches patients with cancer-survivors with the same cancer site so you might want to look further into this. They also have a visitor program that allows cancer survivors to make home visits to patients.

I do hope you have a big circle of family and friends that can support your every need right now. You sound like you have a very upbeat attitude and that certainly helps. I pray that things go well. Please keep us updated because we all care.

moosmom
08-27-2003, 05:36 PM
Although my daughter had a different kind of cancer, Pineal Blastoma of the brain stem, she went through chemotherapy and radiation.

First rule is to take ONE DAY AT A TIME AND BABY STEPS!!

Amy had a tupe put into her chest so they could give her the chemo that way, rather than to keep sticking her with IV needles. She did lose her hair (some people do not, it all depends on the individual). Some people also get sick, tired and weak. Every individual case is different. Your doctors will explain every step to you and what to expect so there will be no surprizes.

The main thing is to keep a positive outlook and be strong. Cancer is not necessarily a death sentence. They are making wonderful progress in the treatment of cancer. My daughter was diagnosed with a very rare, aggressive form of brain cancer at the age of 16. She is now a healthy, vibrant 27 year old who to me in my eyes, is my hero. She stayed strong and fought while I crumbled.

You will be in my thoughts and prayers. If you ever feel like chatting, I'll PM you with my phone number and e-mail.
Please keep us posted.

(((((((((many hugs)))))))))))))))))))

Donna