PDA

View Full Version : Pinging my computer?

gini
08-27-2003, 12:55 PM
So many of you know so much more than I do about computers.

I have McAfee Firewall and Virus Clinic. I can track the hits on my computer with the McAfee Firewall.

In just three hours I have had my computer pinged over 185 times. Doesn't that sound like a lot to you?

I have blocked many of these addresses - just to be safe.

They seem to be originating in the panhandle of Florida.

Can anyone shed any light on this?

Miss Meow
08-27-2003, 04:10 PM
We had similar scary numbers when McAfee was tracking them! A lot of people have spare time on their hands, so they install programs that 'ping' IP addresses of computers (the number given to your computer when you're connected to the internet) to see which ones might be insecure (so they can hack inside them or do other devious things). Someone else might have another explanation.

We uninstalled McAfee as it was slowing down the computer too much and driving us nuts to download updates almost daily. We have PC-Cillin now and it's a bit better (though not much). That's the price of security I guess :rolleyes:

gini
08-27-2003, 04:25 PM
Thanks Nicole! I have cleared out cookies, cleared the temporary internet files and called my internet provider which is Comcast. They could tell me nothing.

I have had over 6,600 hits or pings in one month. I have blocked the most often and offending pingers. Aside from that I really have not had any problems.

But when you sit here in front of just one computer.....yours, you ask "who wants me" and "why"?