PDA

View Full Version : For the 'puter experts...installing an OS

Chinadoll
08-27-2003, 11:53 AM
I got a great new computer at work, problem is it runs XP. I hate XP. Come to find out the main program I use for work does not support scanning with XP. I can scan and attach files to this program, but I can't scan directly into the program. It's extremely inconvenient.

I want to wipe XP and install 98. Our IT guy said first he has to see if the XP license he got with this 'puter will cover installing older operating systems and if it does, it'll take him 2 days to wipe the system and install the new OS.

Couple things...I can't imagine it takes 2 freaking days to reformat and install a new OS. Am I wrong? And 2, I have a 98 disk. I don't guess it would be as simple as putting it in and clicking install, now would it?

Thanks!!!!

tomkatzid
08-27-2003, 12:17 PM
Use the 'XP Wizard' to make your scanner work with it. XP has it's own scanning program too, so you wouldn't even need to use the old software if you didn't want to.
I have 3 computers, one with 98 2nd. one with XP home and the laptop with XP pro. The 98 is by far the hardest to use, even though I did for years. XP is faster and more user friendly. Change is always hard, but 'try it , you might like it" ;)

Chinadoll
08-27-2003, 12:23 PM
This is a problem with the program itself. It simply doesn't support scanning with XP. I can scan with XP just not into this particular program. I've called the tech support for this program as this program is what we use to manage everything for our company and they've already told me they don't support XP with scanning. It sucks. I value that program more than this OS so I want to reformat and install 98 or 2000 that I know will work with this particular program. Thanks.

tomkatzid
08-27-2003, 01:01 PM
You can use a partition in your hard drive have both XP and another one like 98 or 2000. Just seems like a waste to get rid of XP.

Chinadoll
08-27-2003, 01:07 PM
hmmm...I was thinking about that. Do you know how to partition and install it? Thanks!!

tomkatzid
08-27-2003, 10:53 PM
http://www.powerquest.com/partitionmagic/ here is a program that will do it for you. on our old computer (came with 95) we had 2 drives, from a partition. i used software to do it, but now that is outdated. but this one is new and will do it all for you. any computer store carries this type of program. you can probably find it free in the internet too if you want to spend the time looking.
katz
now that i think of it, agirl i work with has 98 and xp on her new new computer. she had it installed at a computer store.

kingrattus
08-27-2003, 11:33 PM
2 DAYS!!! IS HE INSANE!!!! or maybe brain dead :mad:
It take anywhere from 1-3 hours topsdepno how fast ur comp is & how fast ur net connection is for updating windws & installing drivers & programs. But no way in hell does it take 2 bloody days!! I've formatted several times & it takes me about 3 hrs to get everything installed again., but the actual formatting/reinstalliung windows only takes up to an hr max.
ur sooo getting ripped by this guy.

& no u can't just put 98 into ur comp & format, only xp & win 2k auto format & reinstall (there may be otheres, but I know 98 doesn't)...

I sudjest u get a friend to do it & pay him/her by duying dinner/takeout... thats what my dad does to me & others.

slleipnir
08-28-2003, 12:52 AM
I dont know much about XP but if you want to get rid of it I'd go for windows 2000 instead of 98..similar but better

kingrattus
08-28-2003, 07:34 AM
NO!!! don't go for 2000 nor 2k!!!!
I'll tell u my reason.

If ur computers at work use 98 & ur using 2000/2k most of the time u can not switch floppys between them & I'm sure u need floppys for work, the filing system is diffrent on 2000/2k & I learned that the hard way, I have usless floppies, due to 2k/2000 :(

cubby31682
08-28-2003, 08:30 AM
The only reason I can see why it would take 2 days to reformat your computer is, he is to busy and cant get to it right away. Or he will completely wipe it clean. Which mean he will have a program that will destroy everything on your computer. When you format there is still fragments of stuff that was on your hard drive before. My husband has used this softwear and it took him a day for the softwear to stop. I format once every six months or so. I also have XP pro, it takes me about 2 hours. When I built my computer with a brand new hard drive it takes longer. But it only took 3 hours to do it. You don't really need a partition program it is easy to set it up your self if you continue to use XP, I don't really remember what 98 was like. But with XP you just follow the directions and you shouldn't have any problems making a partition. Also if it is a work computer you might have to wait for him to do it. Not all company's will let you do it your self. I might get a job with my mom at her work but I would be working in the computer department, and I would be the only one allowed to work on them. So if it does take him 2 days you just might have to wait.
Katie

Chinadoll
08-28-2003, 10:08 AM
Thanks everyone.

We've decided to partition the drive and keep XP on one and 2000 on the other. The reason I need 98 or 2000 is that those are the only operating systems that this insurance database program we use(and that I do all my work in) will support scanning in. And it's not as easy as finding the right driver, the program simply doesn't allow XP to scan into it.

This is a brand new computer with nothing loaded onto it except XP, the basics, and this insurance program that's giving me a headache.

Spoke with the head of IT today. I've made it very clear that I can not get any work done without the computer. I doubt my boss would be real pleased with paying me to sit here. IT is hoping to get it done and have the 'puter for me tomorrow.
*sigh*

slleipnir
08-28-2003, 10:22 AM
Originally posted by kingrattus
NO!!! don't go for 2000 nor 2k!!!!
I'll tell u my reason.

If ur computers at work use 98 & ur using 2000/2k most of the time u can not switch floppys between them & I'm sure u need floppys for work, the filing system is diffrent on 2000/2k & I learned that the hard way, I have usless floppies, due to 2k/2000 :(

By 2k do you mean ME? You can switch floppys between 2000 and 98...I've had both..2000 is a lot like 98 only improved..ME sucks though, no I wouldnt get that..

kingrattus
08-28-2003, 12:24 PM
I've had 2000 & 2k, their almost the same thing, but I couldn't switch floppies at all. & the same thing here happened when we got 2k server, couldn't switch floppies, it was useless to us, so we got xp & linux on the comps now & they work great together.

slleipnir
08-28-2003, 01:18 PM
2k = ME? Same as 2000? Nooooooooooooooooooooo lol ME sucks I have 2 computers. On one I have 98 and the other I have 2000. I have no problems with floppys or reading either or with the other to get files from..2000 is just an updated version of 98..

ScantyNebula
08-28-2003, 01:24 PM
98 is the worst OS ever created .... 2000 is great, XP is even better.

:D