PDA

View Full Version : Electric slow cooker/crock pot?

ChrisH
08-27-2003, 11:38 AM
I am thinking of getting one, I sort of like the idea of just putting all the ingredients in and then just leaving it simmer all day. :) Anyone have one? If so, how do you rate it? I would appreciate any thoughts/opinions.
Thanks (in advance).:D

Oh, and I am also thinking of getting an electric steamer......:D

Logan
08-27-2003, 11:42 AM
I love having a crock pot, especially when I'm going to be gone and still need to prepare a meal. I haven't used mine enough, and now I have two (we have two of lots of things since Scott and I both lived alone before our marriage).

Does anyone have any good suggestions for crock pot cookbooks? I don't have one, but would love to get one.

Logan

catland
08-27-2003, 11:54 AM
I just got my first crock pot last week. I got one that had a low, high, and a keep warm setting.

My first experiment was a success, I made Hawaiian luau style pork - it was delicious. Here's the link.

http://pork.allrecipes.com/AZ/KlPiginSlwCkr.asp

However, it said to cook for 20 hours, but I cooked a 4 pound roast in eight hours. I bought a Hamilton Beach cooker and it says that it cooks faster than some of the earlier versions.

I look forward to trying more recipes.

Lerah021399
08-27-2003, 12:35 PM
I have both a steamer and a crock pot and love both of them. I have a Cook book called "Fix it and Forget it" and it has a ton of good recipes in it for the crock pot.

sasvermont
08-27-2003, 12:42 PM
I too have a crock pot. Although it doesn't get taken out of the closet that often, I do use it to cook in quanity. It is great for spagetti sauce etc. I know others use it more often etc. Lots depends on your life style.

I love mine and should use it more often.

;)

Logan
08-27-2003, 01:05 PM
OMG! :eek: I just did a search for "crock pot recipes". That ought to keep me cooking for years to come!!!!! :)

RICHARD
08-27-2003, 02:11 PM
as a guy......

i love gravy and potatoes.....a crock pot makes
the best beef stew!!!!!!

I'd rather eat a 'crock' meal than go out!!!!

get one with a 'lift out' feature-easier to clean!!!!

jenluckenbach
08-27-2003, 02:17 PM
I don't use it as much as I should, but I really do love it.

CathyBogart
08-27-2003, 02:22 PM
My mom uses ours a lot...and everyone loves it! Beef & Barley stew... *Drool*

Denyce
08-27-2003, 02:52 PM
I make a BBQ brisket in mine that is just to die for. It is sooo incredibly moist.
And it is so easy to make. Just use chili sauce, onion, garlic, beer and brown sugar. Num.
Denyce

Tonya
08-27-2003, 02:54 PM
I love my crockpot. I use it alot; especially in the winter when I work long hours. I have a crockpot cookbook.

Logan
08-27-2003, 02:59 PM
Originally posted by Denyce
I make a BBQ brisket in mine that is just to die for. It is sooo incredibly moist.
And it is so easy to make. Just use chili sauce, onion, garlic, beer and brown sugar. Num.
Denyce

Sounds yummy! Exact recipe, please!!! :)

And Richard is right. Don't buy one that the crock part doesn't come out to be cleaned. Make sure you can lift it out for cleaning, it is MUCH easier (I let the dishwasher do it).

Logan

Tina
08-27-2003, 04:01 PM
I love my crockpot. But I don't use it to much in the summer. I use it more in the fall/winter months. When it is colder out. I like to use it to make Chili *yummy*

ChrisH
08-27-2003, 04:30 PM
Thanks everyone, I have ordered one and it should be here by the weekend!:)

Richard and Logan, thanks, I made sure it has lift out pot!:D

Catland, thanks for posting the recipe site link, some great ones on there! :)

I think it is going to change the way I eat, for the better and, I hope, more economically!:D

Chris

koxka
08-27-2003, 06:00 PM
A sister an a friend of mine have one and they love it!

In this holy house nobody cook :o .We are on the "Easy made,quickly eaten". Happily I like "crudités" and all kind of green salads. But sometimes I miss a good ole stew :p

If it is as easy as it looks I'll go for it.

Gues that a visit to my sister's kitchen is in order! :cool:

PS: As strange it sounds I like cookbooks and kitchen devices. LOL

Felicia's Mom
08-27-2003, 08:45 PM
I have a slow cooker and I love it! I use it in cold weather mainly for stews and chillis.

kingrattus
08-27-2003, 10:30 PM
When I was living with my dad, 3 yrs ago, we use to always make chilly & spaggitti sauce in our crok pot. I got one for x-mas last year, but I haven't used it cause its an apt. gift. meaning when I move out of this place with Rob I can use it then.

from 1 to 10, I rate it 20 :)

Pam
08-28-2003, 06:14 AM
Originally posted by Felicia's Mom
I have a slow cooker and I love it! I use it in cold weather mainly for stews and chillis.

Me too! There's nothing nicer on a cold day when you come in from work and the smell of simmering beef stew hits you at the door. :) You will feel like you have a maid until you remember that you did the preparation hours before! :D Chris I know you will love it! ;)

KYS
08-28-2003, 08:30 AM
I got a crock pot for a present when I first
got married upteen years ago, and I still use it.

I do not have a crock cook book, but I just
dump my favorite ingredients in.
Makes a great roast/potatoes, and a killer BBQ Pork too.

I make a big Pork roast and add a little onions and
my favorite BBQ sauce. (remove most of the fat as you can.)
When the meat is done, (real soft so it falls apart),
I than shred the pork and try to drain the fat from the
BBQ sauce. Mix enough of the drained sauce with the shredded Pork.
Makes a great BBQ pork sandwich. :)