PDA

View Full Version : Dogs and pregnancy?

BestBuddy
08-27-2003, 09:35 AM
Have any of you found that your dogs act strangely around pregnant human women? ;) My sister recently discovered she is about a month pregnant and her dog Molly has been more affectionate, putting her head on my sister's lap, etc. When she comes to my house, my dog also seems to be very affectionate towards her. She says other women notice this with their dogs too. Interesting.

:)

aly
08-27-2003, 01:28 PM
That is really interesting. I hadn't ever really heard anything about this. It'll be cool to hear from others also what their experiences have been.

G-Diddy
08-27-2003, 01:39 PM
My wife is currently in her 8th month of pregnancy. We have not noticed any real changes in our dog's behavior.

Kinda along those lines, we made sure our dog had no plush toys so she wouldn't confuse them with the baby's. Tonight I am going to start training her to leave baby toys alone. Any other things people have done when prepping their dog for a baby? (Someone recommended Child-Proofing Your Dog which is on amazon.com I found is mildly informative. Most of the stuff was pretty common sense for people familiar with dogs)

Lady's Human
08-28-2003, 11:57 AM
This may be common sense, but....

Bring a recieving blanket home from the hospital that the baby has slept or otherwise been wrapped in before you bring the baby home. The dog will get used to the scent, and won't be too confused when the newborn does come home.

lovemyshiba
08-28-2003, 02:34 PM
I have heard that also about dogs and pregnant women.

Last year we had a neighbor who had a pit mix, and the wife was pregnant. The dog got very protective of her as her due date drew closer.

anna_66
08-29-2003, 07:53 AM
Our neice would come over when she was pregnant, but they didn't act any different (just as goofy as ever;) ).