PDA

View Full Version : Picture of Vern and George my 2 Iguanas

Fox-Gal
08-26-2003, 11:30 PM
It accrued to me that I'm always talk/posting pictures of my puppy and cats and my other babies are getting left out. So for those interested in Iguanas heres my two boys.

This is Vern he about 6 feet long, head to toe. Like what happens to a lot of Iguana's Vern got to big for his owners.....So he came here to live. Vern has a huge cage built on the back of our house. He can come up to the kitchen window and knock when he hungry or just wants a little love. And on those days he's in a mood he pushes the screen out and makes his way into the house.
http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid76/p26c6d9ce2511a6a834d21aee4310a20b/fb44bfa1.jpg

This is my husband holding Vern. (he is going to kill me for posting his picture on here :D ) Even though Vern is a pet you'll notice the gloves that Paul has on, Vern has very sharp claws and teeth. We trust him......but when he get scared....you never know what could happen.
http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid76/p8588684d741684862f876f91eeeff1c4/fb44bfa6.jpg

And last is George our smallest Iguana, he too got to big for his owner. They thought he could live in a 75 gal tank. HA Geroge is only 2 1/2 feet long....maybe a litte more. George is not a friendly as Vern....but we are working on that.
http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid76/p4bae9365df8255317d794e9f59273736/fb44bfaa.jpg

Thats all ....aren't you gald. :D ;)

wolfsoul
08-26-2003, 11:43 PM
Wow Vern is big! :D

Cool pictures, iguanas are very neat looking! :)

CathyBogart
08-27-2003, 01:26 AM
Thanks for posting! :) I Love iggies, and if I ever have an abundance of space I'd like to rescue one as you have your boys! :)

koxka
08-27-2003, 02:05 AM
OOOhhh! Very handsome boys! :p

And I'm more than glad you have posted their pictures! :D

I have an iggy called Magda,see attached picture) we are asuming it's a girl and it's a joy to have her around .People don't understand how I grew up so attached to a lizard (neither do I :D :p)
Now she weigths 325 gr and is 70 cm long. Can you guess how old is she? I asked when I bought her , but the shop attendant didn't know.

I have a special request : Is possible to see their enclosures?

CathyBogart
08-27-2003, 02:11 AM
Magda gets more gorgeous every time I see her! :)

koxka
08-27-2003, 02:12 AM
Thank you! :)

Fox-Gal
08-27-2003, 02:33 PM
Originally posted by koxka
OOOhhh! Very handsome boys! :p

I have an iggy called Magda,see attached picture) we are asuming it's a girl and it's a joy to have her around .People don't understand how I grew up so attached to a lizard (neither do I :D :p)

I have a special request : Is possible to see their enclosures?

I didn't understand either till I got Vern, once you get one it's hard to see how anybody could not get attached to them.

As you requested I attached a picture of Vern's cage. I was hoping you could see him in the picture....but of course he is at the window again....:)

CathyBogart
08-27-2003, 02:48 PM
That is one nice iggy home! :)

Fox-Gal
08-27-2003, 02:54 PM
Originally posted by WolfChan
That is one nice iggy home! :)

Yeah he is spoiled......George is getting his cage soon too. Right now he on the screen porch is what was Vern old cage. So in time almost the whole back of our house should be one long cage. :eek:

ChrisH
08-27-2003, 05:10 PM
Wow! gorgeous, all of them! :)

Thanks so much for sharing the pictures! :)

koxka
08-27-2003, 07:15 PM
That's a big cage! He must be confy in there and with a view......to the kitcken....where the greenies are, so he can supervise his salads LOL

kingrattus
08-27-2003, 11:12 PM
I would love to have one someday. But I'd get a baby female. I've learned my lesson with Males during the spring. Being chased by a 6 foot long angry/horny green monster, itsn't fun. They can run really fast on carpet, climb stairs & furnature, there is no escape. hehehe but I have met some really nice ones, all being females. I was told females don't get aggressing during the spring. I hope thats true.

Fox-Gal
08-28-2003, 12:02 AM
kingrattus......You can't really say that females are better then males. A friend of mine had a female for years, very tame, till one day she went to give her a kiss, as she always did. Her Iquana bit half her noes off.

Females don't get as aggressive as males true but they have their time too. Femals iguana will develop eggs in her ovaries during breeding season and then you have the whole nesting thing to deal with. Digging walls, carpet, floors plants to make a neat.

Plus with Iguans, if you get them young, your not going to know for sure if you have a male or female. You can't really sex them till the iguana has reached sexual maturity.

kingrattus
08-28-2003, 12:18 AM
I guess I worded it wrong, or left some stuff out.

I didn't know females became aggressive aswell... hmmmm can they be fixed?? I wonder if that'll help with the aggression they have during the spring. Do u know anything?

magcpen
08-28-2003, 12:59 AM
Wow... Vern is a loooooong iguana......

Fox-Gal
08-28-2003, 01:34 AM
Originally posted by kingrattus

I didn't know females became aggressive aswell... hmmmm can they be fixed?? I wonder if that'll help with the aggression they have during the spring. Do u know anything?

Yes, they can get aggressive at times, just not like males....the main key is to spend a lot of time with them. You just always have to remember that any iguana can get aggressive and know the signs.

Females and males can be fixed, I would never get a male fixed though, to risky. But in a female it's more common and safer and helps. If you have a good vet for your iguana then there should be no problems. Sometime a female that is fixed will show signs of a false pregnancies, but that rare from what I have been told.

If you ever want a Iguana, there are rescue sites for them and that way you can get a mature iguana and know that your getting a female, if that what you would rather have. If you get a baby you have a 50/50 chance of getting a female. ;)

Honestly I would take a female over a male.....but I have my two now and really love them, so I stick with them.:) :D

kingrattus
08-28-2003, 12:29 PM
I know u need to treat them almost like children, they need to have tons of attention. Rex my friends is a nasty bugger during the spring (hes the one that chases everyone around the house. Rex has 100% full attention from the mother & hes still super nasty during the spring. They figure he thinks shes his mate & chases off other males.

Well thanks for the Info, I'll keep that in mind for down the road :)

Fox-Gal
08-28-2003, 05:19 PM
Yeah they can get nasty.....some times males, when they have free roam of a house they pick out a spots that is theirs and get very protective of it. If you get into their area they will chase you out and in spring it can get really bad.

One of the main reasons Vern and George have both house time and cage time. When we first got Vern he was hurt so he lived in our bathroom for awhile, he decided that was his spot and then the fun begain. There nothing like not being able to use your own bathroom because your Iguana thinks it's his home. :eek:

kingrattus
08-28-2003, 09:11 PM
hehehe, thats funny :)