PDA

View Full Version : Isn't this DUMB?

Kfamr
08-26-2003, 05:16 PM
My school as a vet class where students bring in their animals and take care of them and so on. Students are allowed to bring in their dogs as there are kennels they can stay in.

My friend went to look about bringing her dog in who is a German Shepherd Chow Chow mix. The agriculture teacher said that she couldn't because the dog was part Chow Chow. :mad:

So, from the stupidity of others mistreating their dogs and making them 'mean' , my friend was not able to bring her dog into school.

It made me so angry, because you'd think that since she's a teacher she'd be more educated than that to not be breedist. You'd think she'd teach children that it's stupid and wrong to judge a dog by is breed, especially since she works with animals all day.

Sorry... Just my little 'I hate school...' rant for the day.

Dogz
08-26-2003, 05:27 PM
OMG!! That's horrible!:mad: I have never known and will never know chows as mean.

GoldenRetrLuver
08-26-2003, 05:50 PM
Bring dogs to school?! Lucky! :D Thats horrible..im not very fond of chow chows myself (long story) but I can see why you would be upset.

Soledad
08-26-2003, 05:54 PM
There may be insurance reasons for this. Not every dog is going to adhere to breed personalities, but a large number of them will. Chow chows are not known for their ability to deal with children, and I can see why a teacher would be cautious.

Kfamr
08-26-2003, 06:03 PM
There is no reason for them not to allow her to bring her dog because of what it "is known for". They should accept all animals, and judge it on that animal personally. NOT what the breed is known for or supposed to be.

Soledad
08-26-2003, 06:05 PM
Not if you're an insurance company. They aren't quite so high minded.

2kitties
08-26-2003, 06:07 PM
soledad is right. It could've been out of her hands. If the insurance rider for this program restricts breeds, then she'd have no choice. I'm actually very suprised the school could get funding to have this program at all as I'm certain the liability is outrageous.

I'm sorry for your friend, but I've a feeling this one was dictated by liability insurance riders.

Uabassoon
08-26-2003, 06:08 PM
I always had a chow growing up and I thought they were great around kids. I remember Mona being so patient with me as a child, and chows are just so mellow. I remember my mom having a lasha apso (sp?) when I was really young and I was scared to death of that dog, it would always jump on me and it just really scared me. But our Chow I always felt so safe with.

Soledad
08-26-2003, 06:13 PM
Something interesting I found that might explain your teacher's decision:

Legal liabilities. Chow Chows may be targeted for "banning" in certain areas, or refusal of homeowner insurance policies. Your friends and neighbors may be uncomfortable around this breed. In this day and age, the legal liabilities of owning any breed that looks intimidating and has a history as a fighting dog, guardian dog, and big game hunter, should be seriously considered. People are quicker to sue if such a dog does anything even remotely questionable.

Kfamr
08-26-2003, 06:17 PM
I think that paragraph is completely moronic. I freakin' hate breedists. :mad: :mad:

Sevens
08-26-2003, 09:01 PM
I agree. I already posted once about how we had a kinda hard time finding a groomer for Guinness just because the vet says he is a chow/sheperd mix and that is what we told the groomers. And don't get me started about the way people treat Bailey sometimes because she is part pit bull.

I'm sorry your friend has to deal with this.

primabella
08-26-2003, 09:44 PM
I think it is up to your friend to decide whether or not her dog is able to deal with your classmates or not. She lives with him and know shis temperment, I think they would know. If your friend is any kind of responsible owner they would know not to bring in their dog if he has a problem with strangers or children. Plus, the dog is PART chow. What about the Shephard part?

:mad:

Kfamr
08-26-2003, 09:57 PM
Normally people consider shepherds 'mean' as well. :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Fox-Gal
08-27-2003, 12:31 AM
Thats wrong for them to do that.

My Odie has chow in him, he went to work with me almost every day when I ran an abuse center for children. He's the most easy going dog, he put up with so much there and never gave me a problem. Even when a child tried to feed him a toy chicken, Odie never complained.

anna_66
08-27-2003, 06:43 AM
It really ticks me off how Chows get such a bad rap:rolleyes: Just like any other dog...it's how you raise them.

Dogz
08-27-2003, 11:29 AM
Originally posted by Kfamr
There is no reason for them not to allow her to bring her dog because of what it "is known for". They should accept all animals, and judge it on that animal personally. NOT what the breed is known for or supposed to be.

I agree with this, and I also agree with Liana. Like she said, she should know if her dog is suitable to go to the classroom.

Cincy'sMom
08-27-2003, 03:57 PM
Although my mom and I have the same insurance company, we have different agents. She recently received a letter fromhers, that they were beginnning to ban breeds on home owners coverage....all pits, dobes, rotts, chows, preso caniro and "any dog trained for fighting or protection"

My mom said "chows? "

I said, "yeah, dont you know how mean they are? "

She said "not any I've ever met"

I said " Me either!"

Then again, I have never met a mean pit or rott, and only one mean dobe out of several I have known. I have never met a Preso at all.

Sad what the media and bad owners can to do an animal's reputation....

CathyBogart
08-27-2003, 04:11 PM
I think that paragraph is completely moronic. I freakin' hate breedists. :mad: :mad:

So do I, but it happens regardless. I grew up with a fabulous chow/shar pei mix, and she was one of the best dogs I've ever known.

Dogz
08-27-2003, 07:30 PM
Originally posted by Cincy'sMom
Although my mom and I have the same insurance company, we have different agents. She recently received a letter fromhers, that they were beginnning to ban breeds on home owners coverage....all pits, dobes, rotts, chows, preso caniro and "any dog trained for fighting or protection"

My mom said "chows? "

I said, "yeah, dont you know how mean they are? "

She said "not any I've ever met"

I said " Me either!"

Then again, I have never met a mean pit or rott, and only one mean dobe out of several I have known. I have never met a Preso at all.

Sad what the media and bad owners can to do an animal's reputation....

I was in agility class with 4 dobes. Three of them were just puppies, and the other one was HUGE! It was soooooo gentle, and I just wanted to take it home with me. The owner asked me to walk it in the parade with her, so I did, and whenever I walked by anyone, the would gasp(in fear) or shudder, or say, keep that "thing" away from me. That dog did not even tug at the leash one bit. Oh right, really mean.:rolleyes:

Cincy'sMom
08-27-2003, 07:42 PM
Gorwing up, our next door nrighbors had Dobes for along time, and they had two small children. I never saw those Dobes do anything mean, unfortunatly, they had bad luck with the health of several in a row, so they now have a GSP. She is a great dog too :)

One of the most mellow, sweetest dogs in Cincy's Therapy Class was a Dobe/Rott mix. He was awesome! Too mellow...her house got broken into and he slept through it!!! The girl was taking him through because she was moving to CA, and she thought maybe having a CGC/TDI title on the dog, would help her out trying to find a place to live....

*LabLoverKEB*
08-27-2003, 08:05 PM
:mad: :mad:

wolfsoul
08-27-2003, 09:21 PM
I don't understand how terrible that is. I think that we at Pet Talk should find some way to start a petition against breedism and send it to the government or something.

I have stuck my hands in the yards of chows and only gotten kisses.

tikeyas_mom
08-28-2003, 10:57 AM
that teacher must be a big idiot, I would have freaked on her :mad::mad:

just because of soo many ppl I have herd not likeing Chow Chows, I am considering Adopting one in the future after studding their breed, and Then I will rump it around teaching everyone that Chows are great dogs, and cute to ;)

on a side not, I think it is really cool how you have a vet class in your school.

Kfamr
08-28-2003, 12:57 PM
Originally posted by tikeyas_mom

on a side not, I think it is really cool how you have a vet class in your school.

Yeah but they disect cats and everything. :( I would never be able to do that, that's why I never signed up for it. The cats of course, are ones that were put to sleep from old age and sickness.

tikeyas_mom
08-28-2003, 02:35 PM
Yeah but they disect cats and everything. :( I would never be able to do that, that's why I never signed up for it. The cats of course, are ones that were put to sleep from old age and sickness.

GULP!!!

I still think it would be good experience for someone like me, who wants to be a vet or vet tech when they are older :) ..

I dont agree with the disecting of cats though, even though they were sick or whatever, UGH, that is just sick

Kfamr
08-28-2003, 02:40 PM
Originally posted by tikeyas_mom

I dont agree with the disecting of cats though, even though they were sick or whatever, UGH, that is just sick

The cats are cats that the Vets had put to sleep. They're dead. It's not like they took a cat and disected it just because it was sick. It's something you or anyone else will have to do *if* you become a vet. Simba and Nala's vet had to disect a cow.

It's just not something I could do if I was a vet or in the agriculture class.

My friend Spyro is in the class. He has photos of him disecting the cat and plans on being a Vet. as his profession.

2kitties
08-28-2003, 03:17 PM
Yes, that's how you learn. People who study human medicine disect human bodies in anatomy classes. It's just the only way to become a competent doctor or vet.

dukedogsmom
08-28-2003, 05:21 PM
I agree too! Duke is German Shepherd/Chow and he's great around kids. I can't stand it when a dog breed is blamed for the stupidity of the humans that raise them!