PDA

View Full Version : And Tubby had a bad night

Tubby & Peanut's Mom
08-26-2003, 10:26 AM
:( So it's been about 2 - 2 1/2 years now since Tubby was diagnosed as being in the early stages of kidney failure. As most of you know, the vet prescribed 1/4 of a pepcid everyday, and since he's been getting that, Tubby has been doing great. Well, last night I thought things had taken a turn for the worse.....:(

I knew something was wrong yesterday morning. First of all there were some small throw up spots in the bedroom. Just small brown liquid spots. Then Tubby wouldn't eat the treat he gets after he gets his pepcid every morning - canned cat food, which he has never turned down in his entire life! Then when I went to clean the litterboxes and fill up their food dishes, I saw that he had thrown up more down there. There was a piece of grass in it so I figured that's what the problem was and now that it was out he'd be ok.

(aside: we had been in the back yard Sunday afternoon. I normally don't let him eat the grass because I know it's hard on his tummy, and he doesn't need that extra stress on his system. Well, I turn my back for two seconds and he's off to the grass. I thought I caught him in time, but I guess not. Now, back to the story.)

Luckily Terry was working out of the house yesterday, so I told him to keep an eye on Tubby and call me if he started acting weird. I didn't get any phone calls, but as soon as I walked in the door I was informed that Tubby had thrown up. He had done fine all day, but late in the afternoon he threw up. Not much, just some more liquidy stuff - more greenish this time. I went downstairs to check the litterboxes for Peanut and if Tubby had left any evidence that I might be able to interpret. Nice little puddles for Peanut but nothing for Tubby, and I noticed that there was very little food gone, so I knew he hadn't eat much of anything all day.

Then when I was cleaning up the other spots, Terry noticed that Tubby was going to throw up again. I was able to get him off the carpet and get some paper underneath so he didn't make another spot, but then I knew something was terribly wrong. And these days, when he throws up he makes this horrible, horrible sound like it really hurts. :( After that throw up, he headed downstairs and after finishing upstairs, I went down after him and saw him coming out of the litterbox. He had squeezed out a small poop, which is common when his tummy is upset. Then he went over and took a small drink, stuck his face in the food bowl, but didn't eat anything. Then he went over to the stairs and sat on the rug we have there. This is the heart wrenching part. I went over and was petting him, and he meowed at me with this really pitiful meow, like "Mommy, it hurts." He did that a few times and I just about threw everything down right then and there to take him to the vet. But I thought with all the puking maybe he had gotten everything out of his system. So I decided to give him another 1/4 of a pepcid and let him rest for a bit to see if he just had a severely upset tummy or what.

I brought him upstairs with me, and he slept on the couch right next to me for awhile. He still didn't seem right though, because he didn't flip his tail when I pet him like he always does, and he wasn't purring like he always is. I got up to go to the bathroom and he came downstairs with me. When I got out of the bathroom, he was sitting up. I bent down to pet him, he turned his head up and meowed at me with the pitiful meow again, and looked at me with the most hurt expression I've ever seen on his face. :( Once again I was ready to be off to the vet, but decided to wait just a bit more. Went in to finish some laundry and the next thing I hear is him puking again. :( I rushed over to him and there were just a few liquid spots again, but he wasn't quite done...and finally he threw up a big chunk of grass. Not regular grass, but this ornamental type grass we have in the backyard. After that he went in to take a drink, which I took as a good sign because he didn't want anything to do with water before this, so I told myself that if he throws up one more time, we're gone, but maybe that big chunk of grass was just blocking him up and now that it was out he'd be ok.

He was already in bed when I climbed in, and he mrrrt'ed at me when I came into the bedroom, which I took as another good sign because he hadn't done that earlier, then when I was in and petting him he was flipping his tail, so I knew he was feeling better, but was still ready to head off to the vet at any minute if he threw up again.

Well, to finish this long story, he made it through the night with no more throwups and was doing his normal begging for his morning treats, so I knew he was feeling much better. I didn't give him as much canned food for a treat as I normally do, and gave him an extra big 1/4 of a pepcid. Then he came in to take a drink while I was getting ready, and was in his normal morning nap spot when I left, so everything is back to normal. Oh, and most importantly, the pitiful meow and hurt look on his face are gone, so I know he's doing much better - whew!

I was so scared that his kidneys had taken a sudden turn for the worse, and I was so relieved when I saw that big chunk of grass come out. I know a lot of you say eating the grass and throwing up is normal and good to clean out their stomachs, but this is just the sort of thing I worry about and why I don't let him eat the grass. And I most definetely won't be letting him anywhere near that ornamental grass anymore. It's a lot thicker and tougher than normal grass, which I'm sure is what was causing the problem.

So we made it through this one - whew! - but I got the biggest scare so far since his diagnosis 2 - 2 1/2 years ago. :(

Oh, and Peanut, the little sweetie, always had to go rushing over to him when she heard him throwing up. There's nothing she can do, but she's always there for support for her big brother. :)

Barbara
08-26-2003, 10:40 AM
Oh poor Tubby!
That story now sounds very familiar to me: Tigris can throw up quite a bit and make this pitiful little meow telling me he has tummyache:(

But with Tubby I also would have been very worried as it took so long -I only know stories of 15 minutes and not of one day:eek: :eek: :eek:

I can believe that an especially tough grass and a sensitive stomach went together to give Tubby such a hard time.

Anyway I am glad that he is now on his way to be better again and hope he will do all the mrrt's and purrs to tell you he's fine:)

What a day: first sweet Peanut and then Tubby! Always trouble with the kids;) Maybe today is your turn for a glass of wine:)

Tubby & Peanut's Mom
08-26-2003, 11:50 AM
Originally posted by Barbara
What a day: first sweet Peanut and then Tubby! Always trouble with the kids;) Maybe today is your turn for a glass of wine:)

Sounds good to me, Barbara. :D Can you send that beer truck over to my neighborhood? :D :D

Cinder & Smoke
08-26-2003, 12:17 PM
W:eek:W, Tubby!

So glad yur feelin better now! ;)

GRASS??
Nebber tried that.
Sumtymes I try summa Dad's green stuff (he callz it a *salad*) inna bowl -
but he wreks it by puttin salad juze all ober it - YUCK!

Ya better go eezie onna *gurk & yurk* -
THAT'll get ya a fast trip to the White Coat.
An fur gosh sakes KEEP *PEEin*!!
In my howze iffin ya miss a *pee* break - OMG!
Kant beliebe how fast Dad kan drive ober to Doc Mike's Lab!!

Stay Well!!
We all wurrie when ya get to feelin *punkey!

/s/ Yur Buddie, Boots :)

Vermontcat
08-26-2003, 12:20 PM
I hope that both Tubby and Peanut are feeling better now.
Let me know if you want me to send nurse Samantha over to take care of Tubby for you.;)

slick
08-26-2003, 12:31 PM
That ornamental grass is awful stuff. About 5 yrs ago when I was looking after some friends' cats, little Sandy (may he RIP) got into the grass and I ended up taking him to the vet. Well, the vet reached down his throat with some tweezer-like device and pulled out this long piece of ornamental grass. After that my friends dug up all the ornament grass and put it in the dumpster.
The problem is that grass has little barbs and it will go down OK but not come up.

Glad to hear Tubby is OK. What a time you've had. Max and Speckles say take some time to relax before school.

catlover4ever
08-26-2003, 12:37 PM
Boy have you ever been through the wringer with Tubby and Peanut sick almost at the same time. It's funny how in-tune to our animals we are, something as small as a tail flip not happening, and we know that they are not feeling themselves.

Smokey loves to get into the grass when he is allowed outside. the problem with Smokey is that when he throws it back up he actually has a seizure and will pass out. :( Needless to say, I monitor him whenever he is outside to make sure he does not eat any grass.

Glad to hear that both Tubby and Peanut are feeling better.

Meg

Russian Blue
08-26-2003, 12:46 PM
Originally posted by Tubby & Peanut's Mom

I went over and was petting him, and he meowed at me with this really pitiful meow, like "Mommy, it hurts.".......... ....... I bent down to pet him, he turned his head up and meowed at me with the pitiful meow again, and looked at me with the most hurt expression I've ever seen on his face. :(

Awwww......Isn't it the worst when the fur kids are sick? I could totally imagine your fears when you heard him meow like that. Thank goodness it was the grass and he's back to normal.

Tubby, no more grass! That's an order!

;)

Russian Blue
08-26-2003, 12:49 PM
Originally posted by Cinder & Smoke

An fur gosh sakes KEEP *PEEin*!!
In my howze iffin ya miss a *pee* break - OMG!
Kant beliebe how fast Dad kan drive ober to Doc Mike's Lab!!
/s/ Yur Buddie, Boots :)

:D

Tubby & Peanut's Mom
08-26-2003, 12:55 PM
Originally posted by slick
The problem is that grass has little barbs and it will go down OK but not come up.

Thanks for the reminder on this Slick! I never thought of this being the reason this grass was so hard on him, but it makes so much sense because it is a "sharp" grass which indicates it does have those little barbs.

This grass is way over so he normally doesn't get anywhere near it, and I'll have to be durn sure I keep him away from it from now on.

And thanks Boots. I did see Tubby peeing in the morning, so I knew that part of him was still working. ;) 'Course it would help a lot of he'd squat so the pee would go in the box insted of all over the floor right next to the box. :rolleyes:

I did do the "skin test" to make sure he was still hydrated (pinch their skin and if it goes back to normal right away they're hydrated, if it stays pinched, or goes back real slow, they're de-hydrated.) I got some water into Peanut with the syringe thingy, but the last time I tried with Tubby, everything else got wet except the inside of his mouth. :rolleyes:

Tubby would love for Nurse Samantha to come over and help him recuperate. :D

And Meg, OMG! Smokey passes out when he throws up?!! :eek: That would totally freak me out if that happened to Tubby, and we'd be on the way to the vet long before he woke up and told me it was only a seizure from the throwing up! Whew, I think I'd have a seizure and pass out just from the fright of it! ;)

Thanks everyone. Terry is not at home today, so I can't call and get an update on Tubby. But I'm sure he's fast asleep, recuperating, and dreaming of Nurse Samantha. ;) :D

Vermontcat
08-26-2003, 01:25 PM
Nurse Samantha is packing her bags now.:) (Maybe Edwina has a little nurse hat that she can borrow)
She has plenty of experience with eating grass until she gets sick from it.
She usually just eats the crab grass by my flowerbeds and then barfs it up.
Luckily she doesn't have any of that fancy grass to try around here.:p

Steffi N
08-26-2003, 04:53 PM
Tubby, I am sorry you had such an awful day and night and I am happy you are feeling better.

Baby'sMomma
08-26-2003, 04:56 PM
I hope Tubby is feeling better. I know from watching Baby in his last days how heartwrenching it can be to watch them throw up and know they aren't feeling well.

Sara luvs her Tinky
08-26-2003, 07:06 PM
Poor Tubby!!:(

Man Debbie, you have had a rough day...*hugs*
I am glad you finally got that ol nasty grass up sweet Tubby. You had me scared... I hope you are feeling better...

and no more pitiful meows and sad faces.. o.k.?!

I am sure nurse Samantha will help make things better with a few kitty kisses..:)

kimlovescats
08-26-2003, 08:19 PM
Oh poor sweet TUbby.....what a tough time you had and an oh so big scare you gave your mommy and daddy!!!! I'm so glad that your tummy is feeling all better now, and I sure hope you won't try that old yucky stuff again!!!

We love you!!!

:)

krazyaboutkatz
08-26-2003, 11:23 PM
Poor Tubby, I'm so glad to hear that you're finally feeling better. Please try not to scare your meowmie like that again and stay away from that ornamental grass too. I'm sure that nurse Samantha will take very good care of you. Take care.:)

anna_66
08-27-2003, 07:07 AM
What a hard night you all had. I'm so glad that Tubby is feeling better today!
There's nothing worse than seeing that sad look on their face is there?

Randi
08-27-2003, 07:32 AM
Debbie, I’m so glad to hear Tubby has got rid of that nasty grass and is feeling better. :( Seeing him in that state and hearing his pityful miaws must have been frightening.

Stay healthy, Tubby!

We’re sending lots of kisses and nosescritchies. :)

ChrisH
08-27-2003, 07:58 AM
Poor Tubby.:( Poor Meowmie too, she was so scared. So glad you you are ok, and hope you are feeling loads better today.

Kona & Oreo's mom
08-27-2003, 10:26 AM
Poor Tubby--I'm glad that your tummy feels better now!

Tubby & Peanut's Mom
08-27-2003, 10:30 AM
Thanks everyone. :) Had to be the grass because he's definitely back to himself now. Begging, purring, flipping the tail, mrrrt'ing...they're all back. Oh, and head bumping too. :D And no more throwing up or sad meows or sad looks on his face. Just my bright eyed big boy who wants lots of attention. We got a movie last night so he got to lay on me for at least an hour - which is his most favorite thing in the world to do. :D

bisi.cat
08-27-2003, 10:36 AM
MMMRRRRRT

Isn't this one of the best sounds ever...to hear the "mmmrrrrt" of a recovered darling?!
I am so glad to hear that you're doing fine again, Tubby!!!
:D :D :D

Barbara
08-27-2003, 10:37 AM
Tubby we are so glad to hear you are yourself again. We meowmies need our head bumpies to feel well:D :D :D

BastetsMum
08-28-2003, 06:38 AM
I can't have flowers or dried ANYTHING like grasses etc in the house because Bastet eats them! Its a very scary thing!

I am glad Tubby is ok.

moosmom
08-30-2003, 10:57 AM
Tubby & Peanut's Mom,

My 9 year old cat Mollie Rose loves what grass, which is sold in pet stores. They have kits that you can buy. It's alot healthier than outdoor grass which can sometimes be treated with chemicals. That could be the reasons Tubby was throwing up.

Grass (wheat grass, that is) is actually good for cats. It helps their digestive system, and is full of lots of vitamins. One thing though, if you get a kit, make sure it's a Cosmic Kitty Grass kit and not one of those that has "gel" with seeds inside that you water. I bought one of those it Mollie Rose was eating the gel and it make her throw up.

I'm glad Tubby is feeling better now.

Cataholic
08-30-2003, 05:42 PM
Tubby, please don't scare us all like that, ok?

ramanth
09-08-2003, 01:25 PM
Happy to hear that Tubby is feeling better. :D