PDA

View Full Version : Looking for a Diet & Exercise Buddy

Ally Cat's Mommy
08-26-2003, 01:45 AM
Bit of a ramble - don't bother to read unless you are interested in a diet / weight loss buddy ;)

Earlier this year I started a diet and exercise program, and was losing weight quite nicely. Then I went on vacation, and I got shinsplits, so I couldn't exercise for over a month. THEN I badly burned my leg on a motorbike, so nothing for another 2 weeks. NOW I have just moved house, and am working two jobs, so exercise is bottom of my list right now.

HOWEVER I have just realised that for the 3rd year in a row I will be going back to South Africa to see my family for Christmas, and in a way I am dreading it, because I still haven't lost any of the weight I put on since moving to Bahrain. (Which is really sad, because I should be looking forward to it - it's amazing how a negative self-image can spoil your enjoyment of things!!!)

So I have set a goal that on 1st September I will officially begin to stop making excuses and start exercising again. I will also be starting the South Beach Diet (I have researched quite a bit on this, and previously lost quite a bit of weight on Atkins, but found it very restrictive). South Beach Diet seems to offer more food choices, and also promises that abdominal fat is lost first, which is a priority for me (NOTE TO PEOPLE - DO NOT ASK A LADY WHEN HER DUE DATE IS IF YOU ARE NOT ABSOLUTELY SURE THAT SHE IS PREGGERS!!!!! :mad: )

The exercise I do is all stuff that can be done at home, with no special equipment other than a good pair of athletics shoes. I do Leslie Sansones "Walk Away the Pounds" and have just purchased "I want that body" and a kick-boxing DVD also). Otherwise outdoor walking (like Walk For Life) is a good option, but due to the high temperatures and strict dress code here, outdoor exercise is not an option for me.

I had thought we could do the following:

I will set up a private Yahoo group. We can have a weekly weigh-in / measure in / and note how mant times we managed to exercise. We can also share diet and exercise tips, and most importantly share motivation and encourage each other.
(Otherwise if it is just one of two of us, we dont need to set up a group, we can just communicate via e-mail or PM via Pet Talk)

So, if anyone is interested in being a diet buddy with me, please PM me.

Cataholic
08-26-2003, 09:02 AM
I am ALL over this......

Logan
08-26-2003, 09:15 AM
I wish you lots and lots of luck!!! I know that dreaded feeling of seeing friends and family and not feeling 100% good about the way I look!!

Logan

wolfsoul
08-26-2003, 09:17 AM
Originally posted by Cataholic
I am ALL over this......

Me too! :)

RubyMutt
08-26-2003, 01:28 PM
Oh I would love to do that! I keep telling myself to exercise more, this will give me some motivation! :D

popcornbird
08-26-2003, 01:50 PM
Well, I PM'd you, so you know I want to be included in the PT exercise motivation plan also. :p

Lerah021399
08-26-2003, 02:07 PM
I'll be glad to join in this. I am currently on the Weight Watchers diet (shame on me for calling it a *diet*...the counselors really don't like that word. They call it a way of life). Anywhoo, I am hoping to lose at LEAST 10 lbs before I get pregnant...I really could afford to lose 20lbs! I am also doing the Billy Blanks Tae-Bo Basic Video (great workout, BTW)...I found this was the only thing that I was motivated to do...no one around to watch me look like an idiot. So, count me in!

Miss Meow
08-26-2003, 04:01 PM
I am ALL over this......

I am a bit tired today, and thought you had said:

I am OVER all this!

And I thought gee, she's a bit cranky today!!! :D

Oops :o

Yes, please count me in :)

Ally Cat's Mommy
08-27-2003, 04:48 AM
Wow - thanks everyone for replying!

Please bear with me if you think I am not replying quickly to you - I am in the Middle East, so the time difference can be frustrating;)

Seeing as there are so many of us, I have decided that the easiest way to communicate would be to create a Yahoo Group.
(I hope everyone has a Yahoo ID - if not, it only takes a couple of minutes to get one at Yahoo.com)

I have created a Yahoo Group - PTDietBuddies

Please send an email to the following email address to join:

[email protected]

Thanks everyone!

Looking forward to seeing you all there :)

Ally Cat's Mommy
08-27-2003, 04:57 AM
Hi Logan,

Thanks very much for your good wishes :)

Originally posted by Logan
I wish you lots and lots of luck!!! I know that dreaded feeling of seeing friends and family and not feeling 100% good about the way I look!!

Logan

RubyMutt
08-27-2003, 01:25 PM
Alrighty, I sent the Email.

I can't wait to get started! :D

popcornbird
08-27-2003, 02:02 PM
I will send an email once I log on to yahoo. Can't wait. Thanks so much everyone for getting us all *motivated*.

I saw this really cool thing on TV today actually. Its a new exercise thing. Here's the link to their website.

http://www.the-body-dome.com/

People have lost up to 20 pounds in a month, just by working out on that for 10 minutes a day! :eek: I WANT IT!!!!! Its designed in a way that it targets all your muscles and helps you burn calories while toning your muscles at the same time. Its like $119, and they said on the TV advertisment, that if you use it properly for 10 minutes a day and don't lose weight, they guarantee your fully money back! I talked to my mom about it and she said she'll get me it! YAY! I really hope it works, but if it doesn't, hey, we can always get our money back, so there's nothing to lose! My mom wants it too. They guarantee that you can lose 20 pounds in a month, using that for JUST 10 minutes a day! I can certainly handle that hopefully. Its not easy running on the treadmill for hours, and taking so long to get results, but if this works with just 10 minutes, I'd say its definitely worth it. Perhaps the PT exercise/weight-loss team can consider investing in one of those too. My mom said we'll get it, so hopefully, if we order it online, I hope I can have it at least by next month. Good luck everyone!

wolfsoul
08-27-2003, 03:57 PM
I sent you a pm! :)

cubby31682
08-27-2003, 05:17 PM
I just sent an email to join. I have been working out at Curves for women. http://www.curvesinternational.com/
I have lost alot of inches not so many pounds but I was just weighed and measured this week so I can do a weigh in. I am willing to try anything. I would love to be down 2 more dress sizes before I have a lan party to go to.

Katie

popcornbird
08-27-2003, 06:54 PM
Sent you an email. Please PM me the details. :)

RubyMutt
08-27-2003, 07:46 PM
I *think* I just joined the group. I've never joined a Yahoo! Group before, so I hope I did things right. My name on Yahoo is aprilsflame :)

wolfsoul
08-27-2003, 09:27 PM
I forgot to add my name is catahoula_addict. :o :)

popcornbird
08-28-2003, 01:51 AM
I went to Yahoo Groups and searched for this one, but couldn't find it. :( I've never joined a yahoo group and have no clue how. Any advice?

Ps. I was thinking, although I do like the idea of yahoo groups, I thought it would be better if we could make a request to Karen and Paul to add a Health and Fitness forum on the board, like they added Marketplace and Dog House, for the health and well being of PT's members, and also so we can discuss right here, without having to keep going to yahoo. :o If anyone agrees with me, maybe we should ask Karen and Paul about this. I know there are many PT'ers that need to get motivated and lose weight, and since this is such a wonderful board, I thought it would be great if Karen and Paul could provide us with such a forum on PT. That way, anyone can join in if they seem to like it later on, and I *think* it would be more helpful that way. What do you think?

Lerah021399
08-28-2003, 07:30 AM
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/PTDietBuddies/

This is the link for the group. You will receive an email at your Yahoo account asking you to confirm your request to join the group. Then the moderator has to approve your membership. Hope to see you all there!

wolfsoul
08-28-2003, 11:23 AM
Originally posted by popcornbird

Ps. I was thinking, although I do like the idea of yahoo groups, I thought it would be better if we could make a request to Karen and Paul to add a Health and Fitness forum on the board, like they added Marketplace and Dog House, for the health and well being of PT's members, and also so we can discuss right here, without having to keep going to yahoo. :o If anyone agrees with me, maybe we should ask Karen and Paul about this. I know there are many PT'ers that need to get motivated and lose weight, and since this is such a wonderful board, I thought it would be great if Karen and Paul could provide us with such a forum on PT. That way, anyone can join in if they seem to like it later on, and I *think* it would be more helpful that way. What do you think?
I like this idea. :) I feel as if I'll be reluctant to stay on yahoo for half as long as I stay on PT. :p

popcornbird
08-28-2003, 11:59 AM
Originally posted by wolfsoul
I like this idea. :) I feel as if I'll be reluctant to stay on yahoo for half as long as I stay on PT. :p

I know, same here. :o I'm afraid I won't get motivated by going to yahoo because I will keep forgetting to go. :o

Thanks Lerah. See what I mean. I even forgot to check my emails. :o

wolfsoul
08-28-2003, 04:53 PM
Yes , I'll probably forget too lol. I never really go on my yahoo IM. And I'm still not sure how this whole yahoo thing works. Is it like posting? Or a chat line like aim or msn? :confused:

I ate a bagel today...Bad Jordan!

popcornbird
08-28-2003, 11:48 PM
bump

Ally Cat's Mommy
08-29-2003, 01:18 PM
Hi Everyone,

Thurs and Fri is the weekend here, and my ADSL at home isn't working yet :(

Thanks to everyone who replied - I'll see if any of the responses have come through to me at work in the morning, and add your names so You can access the group.

Sorry for "dissapearing" in the middle of all this - being totaly out of sync with all of you (both regards to TIME ZONES and WEEKENDS is a real PAIN :)

AmberLee
08-29-2003, 09:16 PM
I prefer the Yahoo as it is more private, but ... whatever. I've applied as Amberlee017 (long story). Hope to see you there!

Christiansmommy
08-29-2003, 10:36 PM
Originally posted by popcornbird
I went to Yahoo Groups and searched for this one, but couldn't find it. :( I've never joined a yahoo group and have no clue how. Any advice?

I think it would be great to have a health and fitness board here on pettalk...i can only get on here so often to check up on stuff...it would be easier to just have to go to one place :)

Ally Cat's Mommy
08-30-2003, 01:14 AM
OK, The Yahoo Group is officially up and running!

I think some of us prefer Yahoo (as AmberLee mentioned) as is IS more private, and hopefully this will be an ONGOING exercise, so to have a thread in PT for it may be a "litttle" bit off-topic.

The other advantage of using a group is that there are facilities to add files and photos, which we could use for the following:
- recipes / workout plans etc
- before / after photos (IF any of us are brave enough)

For those of you who are worried that you may forget to check in with the group, I would suggest that under "Options" you subscribe for a "daily digest" which will send you a summary of all the posts for that day.

Also, again from a privacy point of view, I have set up the group so that it is a "Members Only" group. This means that only PT'ers will know about the group, and only approved members can post to the group and view the files.

If anyone else would like to join, please go to
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/PTDietBuddies/
and click on the "Join This Group" button.

Thanks again to everyone for all the support, and I am lookign foward to seeing you all on PTDietBuddies (and of course on Pet Talk)

Julie

popcornbird
08-30-2003, 01:27 AM
I'm on my way there..........in..........let's say half an hour. I want to check it out before I go to bed, but must finish checking out PT first. Will you be there in 1/2 an hour?

I'll try not to forget, hopefully. I didn't mean making threads on this in General on PT. I meant that Karen and Paul perhaps, could make a seperate Health and Fitness board on PT, but if you're more comfortable with Yahoo, being private and all, I guess we'll just drop the idea for now and go on with Yahoo. Thanks for starting this!

Cataholic
08-30-2003, 02:03 PM
Something is wrong...I have posted two messages...and they won't show up on Yahoo!!! I thought the first time maybe I just did it wrong, or, more time was needed to show up...but, it has been over one hour on the first, and about 12 minutes on the second...does anyone know what I might be doing wrong?

I go into the group, and hit post message, and it looks like I am posting it...I type stuff in, and then submit...and NOTHING!

wolfsoul
08-30-2003, 03:42 PM
Something is wrong...I have posted two messages...and they won't show up on Yahoo!!! I thought the first time maybe I just did it wrong, or, more time was needed to show up...but, it has been over one hour on the first, and about 12 minutes on the second...does anyone know what I might be doing wrong?

I go into the group, and hit post message, and it looks like I am posting it...I type stuff in, and then submit...and NOTHING!

It's alright. :) Sometimes it takes a few minutes to show up on yahoo. Give it a five minute break and I'm sure that when you check it will be there.

popcornbird
08-30-2003, 03:46 PM

Your post is there! I just read it! ;)

Ally Cat's Mommy
08-31-2003, 01:13 AM
Everyone seems to be getting the hang of the Group! As of this morning we have 11 members, and 12 messages!

Thanks everyone for your support - Tomorrow is "D-Day" for me - I'm starting the South Beach Diet, so check the group regularly for updates as to how I am coping with the induction period!!:eek:

(On the way home from work tonight I will be stopping off at the store to stock up on all the food for the diet - luckily I am not teaching tonight!!!)

koxka
08-31-2003, 01:29 AM
Hey, I would like to joing the group too :)

I emailed you the other day, but failed .
Maybe PM you is better.
......Ahhhhh....I feel this pounds melting away.....goooodddd!!! :D

Ally Cat's Mommy
08-31-2003, 01:32 AM
Hi,

Are you posting as cataholic6? If so, your post is showing. There may be a few minutes delay before your posts show on the board, but I have set it up so that I DO NOT need to authorise all posts (because with the time difference between myself and most of you, it would be too long a delay) - so ALL POSTS are automatically added to the board without approval.

Hope it is working for you now!

Julie

AmberLee
08-31-2003, 02:12 PM
As of this morning, it's 15 members and 19 posts (20 if mine took...)

popcornbird
09-02-2003, 12:02 PM
bump

Cataholic
09-02-2003, 02:05 PM
I think there was something wrong with my posting privileges...I posted three posts that never showed up....hmmm...but, now, they seem ok. I wrote a very inspirational one...and it never showed up. I then lost my inspiration..he he he..

Now, we have a million posts!!! So cool!

catlover4ever
09-02-2003, 02:18 PM
I would like to join too!!!!:)

I will try to get online later tonight after I get home. I would do it now but I'm at work and we have a web sweeper and it will not let me onto the site. :mad:

popcornbird
09-05-2003, 05:35 PM
bump

Cataholic
09-05-2003, 07:59 PM
Oh, people- get on over there and POST!!:D

popcornbird
09-06-2003, 10:22 PM
Oh, people- get on over there and POST!!:D

I agree. Everyone was doing so well and now all of a sudden, everyone has gotten so slow on the posting! You'll never lose weight if that's how slow you're going to be! :p:p:p

Come on! Get over there! :)

popcornbird
09-15-2003, 01:28 AM
bump