PDA

View Full Version : E-mail Viruses

primabella
08-25-2003, 05:31 PM
I got this from another forum. A member got affected by a virus that was sent to her by e-mail and posted this for us. Take this as a warning:

DO NOT OPEN

Any e-mails even if they are from someone you know or recognise thier address (even addresses from here!) if the subject line is

Re: your details
Re: your application
Re: my details
Re: Thank you!
Re: The forum (this is the one I fell for )
Re: Approved
Re: That film

They all are between 97 and 103K up till now and they tell you to open an attached pif. file... I cant do this anyway due to my firewall (thank dog)..but some of you may be able to...DONT DO IT..it is a word document virus and as you sit there to read it..it uploads a virus!

Also (and I don't know if this is official but just to be careful) for any hotmail or msn users, if someone with an e-mail [email protected] adds you to his contact list, don't add him. It is also a virus that affects your hard drive and all the other contacts on your msn list.

:)

Karen
08-25-2003, 06:06 PM
Never open an attached file from someone you don't know.

Never open a ".pif" file.
Never open a ".bat" file.
Never open a ".scr" file.

All these contain viruses.

There are some potent viruses out there right now, and all target Windows users, and count on you to open that attachemnt - DON'T!

I'm on a Mac, so not affected by the viruses, but it's still a pain to get and delete all those files!

tikeyas_mom
08-25-2003, 06:10 PM
thats really good info, I never open ANYTHING that I dont know who it is from, and I always have my virus scanner scan everyemail befor opening it :) ..

apcrs5122
08-25-2003, 06:42 PM
Originally posted by tikeyas_mom
thats really good info, I never open ANYTHING that I dont know who it is from, and I always have my virus scanner scan everyemail befor opening it :) ..

Just wondering, how do you get a virus scanner? I have an e-mail that is titled 'Sos!' and the sender is 'info' I don't know what to do, but my instincts are saying "Delete it!"

Karen
08-25-2003, 07:43 PM
Then delete it!

There are plenty of companies that make virus-scanning software you can buy, the best are automatically updated when a new virus hits. What platform are you on?

popcornbird
08-25-2003, 07:46 PM
Thanks for the valuable information Primabella! I NEVER EVER open any email when I don't know where/who its coming from. All junk mail should be deleted immediately. Unfortunately, hotmail allows so much junk mail to come into everyone's accounts. :rolleyes:

moosmom
08-25-2003, 08:00 PM
I also don't open anything that I don't recognize. And I absolutely HATE when my friends send me e-mails with stupid attachments like chain letters that tell ya to send it to 5 friends within 24 hours or you'll have bad luck. Yeah right!!!

So far I've been VERY fortunate.

micki76
08-25-2003, 08:16 PM
Originally posted by apcrs5122
Just wondering, how do you get a virus scanner? I have an e-mail that is titled 'Sos!' and the sender is 'info' I don't know what to do, but my instincts are saying "Delete it!"

Reading the email won't do anything, butif you open an attachment you can have huge problems. The virus is sent via the attachment, not the actual email itself so reading the text won't harm you. Just don't open any attachments unless you're positive they're safe!