PDA

View Full Version : Wanted to show my homemade cat tree too

jazzcat
08-25-2003, 02:56 PM
My Dad made this cat tree for me (and my cats) as my Christmas gift this past year. It's is extra special because he is in the early stages of Alzheimer's and this will probably be the last thing he made in his woodworking shop.

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid75/p9af0b644559a0768be7b3bdda87a9cfe/fb484b5b.jpg

Ripley and Jazz love it
http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid75/p1ea009248630da9e2a6e0652fcfb3f4e/fb484c68.jpg

Of course now Scout does too

Uabassoon
08-25-2003, 03:07 PM
That cat tree looks great! Your dad really did a great job on it.

catlover4ever
08-25-2003, 03:10 PM
That is a real nice, sturdy one. He did a wonderful job on it.

moosmom
08-25-2003, 08:54 PM
Jazzcat,

What a great cat tree!!! You've got a very talented Dad.

I'm sorry to hear about his Alzheimer's. My SIL's husband has it. Aricept doesn't work on him. He's only 68 and since I've moved here, he's really gotten worse. Believe it or not, he's still driving. I think towards the end of this year that will have to stop too.

I sure wish they'd come up with a cure for it. But it doesn't look like it's gonna happen anytime soon.

I'll say a prayer for him. Your Dad sounds real special :D .

(((((hugs))))))

Kater
08-25-2003, 08:55 PM
Wow, that looks very well made! What a speical piece for you to cherish. :) But!--- there are spots for four kitties --- looks like you need just one more? ;)

jazzcat
08-25-2003, 10:04 PM
moomsmom - I agree, I don't think a cure is any time soon and we can't really tell if Aricept is helping or not. He's been on it for a year and a half and he is progressively getting worse. On the other hand, he just turned 81 this summer so at least it didn't strike him at a younger age. I'm so sorry to hear about your SIL's husband. He is too young at 68.

Kater - I'm working on filling that fourth cat tree spot. I've got my eye on a little gray and white boy named Angus but my husband is holding me back right now. It may be time to pour on some tears - not hard to do when I think about all the homeless kitties.

krazyaboutkatz
08-26-2003, 12:46 AM
Wow! That cat tree is gorgeous. :D I would have never guessed that it was home made. Your father is very talented.:) I'm so sorry to hear that he has Alzheimer's though. :( At least he was able to make this for you before he got too bad. I'm sure you'll cherish this forever. :)
I hope you'll be able to fill the fourth cat spot on your tree with another cat. I now have four, which is the most cats that I've ever owned at one time, and I think it's a great number because they each have a buddy.:) Good luck. :D

bisi.cat
08-26-2003, 01:09 AM
What a beautiful handmade cat tree...your dad is very talented!!!

And your cats really love their tree...there couldn't be a better reward for work than happy purring cats!!!:) :D

It may be time to pour on some tears - not hard to do when I think about all the homeless kitties.
Does this work, Jazzcat?!

Maybe I should try this, too, but I guess I have to pour tears when my cat Nellie is around, rather then my husband...;)

Barbara
08-26-2003, 04:24 AM
A wonderful place for your cats. Even for a healthy man it would be very good work!

I hope your dad will have many good days in the years to come.

jenluckenbach
08-26-2003, 04:55 AM
WOW. Very professional!

I am sorry to hear about your dad, though. Hope the disease progresses SLOWLY. It is a very hard disease to deal with.

catmandu
08-26-2003, 09:42 AM
That is terrible news about your dad! He must be a wonderful man to take the time out to make such a beautiful tree! And you will have it for a long time , as a monument to his love!I still have a bookcase that was made for me by my late father over 30 years ago!

ramanth
08-26-2003, 09:51 AM
What an awesome Cat Tree! :D

Very nice work. :)

Russian Blue
08-26-2003, 10:12 AM
We brought some tree posts home from my cottage and will soon be making a cat tree for Nakita that is way overdue.

It's so nice that your father was able to make that for you and you will have that reminder of your father in your home. Lucky cats!

;)

Tubby & Peanut's Mom
08-26-2003, 11:32 AM
It's beautiful! Looks like a professionally made one! I'm so glad your dad was able to make it before his Alzheimers got too bad. Terry's dad is in the later stages of Alzheimers and it is most certainly not an easy thing to deal with. :(

ScantyNebula
08-26-2003, 11:35 AM
What a wonderful post! It looks so comfy :)

Alzheimer's is definetly a terrible thing .. My grandmother has it now and is in the early stages, but she is not doing to well. She says strange things all the time, and just sits down staring off most the time - I haven't seen her in a while, but I've heard she is not herself at all.. Its awful. :(

Miss Meow
08-26-2003, 04:20 PM
That's a fantastic cat tree! The quality looks first rate, and it's obviously passed the cat quality inspection test :)

I'm sorry about your father's disease, what an awful strain for you and your family.

Steffi N
08-26-2003, 06:43 PM
What a well-built, attractively-designed cat tree. I am glad Ripley, Jazz and Scout are enjoying it. I am sorry to hear about your father's illness. It is very difficult to see someone lose his self, it happened with my late father's Parkinson's. My sympathy to you and your family.

Fox-Gal
08-26-2003, 07:34 PM
Wow, he did a really great job on the cat tree. I have been trying to get my husband to make me one also. He keeps coming up with ideas, but it never gets done. :rolleyes: I going to have to show him yours and put on a guilt trip. :D

So sorry about your dad, I went through it years ago with a family member and I know how ruff it can be, stay strong and positive it will help you both.

TheAntiPam
08-26-2003, 08:19 PM
You never outgrow being "Daddy's little girl". What a wonderful gift he made for you - something to cherish and remember him by when difficult times seem to crowd out the good times.

My dad's birthday would have been next week, and I still miss him 30 years after his death. Kitties and Dads - what a great combination! :)

kimlovescats
08-26-2003, 08:37 PM
What a very special thing to have from your Dad! You will cherish that forever!!!

My mom is showing signs of possibly the early stages of Alzheimer's .... at least that is what her general praciticioner says, and we have noticed some serious memory issues with her ourselves.:( She is considering being tested, so that if she does have it, they at least try to slow it down.

Give your kitties and your sweet dad a hug from me!;)

Randi
08-31-2003, 09:34 AM
I love this cat tree your dad made, he is very talented! :) I'm sorry to hear he has Alzheimer's. :( In spite of that, I hope he'll have many more happy years with you and your family!

09-01-2003, 07:39 AM
What a special present from your dad!! he must love you VERY much :) :)

Felicia's Mom
09-01-2003, 09:11 AM
That is a beautiful cat tree; your dad is very talented.

I'm sorry about his Alzheimer's.

jazzcat
09-01-2003, 11:05 AM
Thanks everybody!

I told Dad yesterday that I showed a picture of the cat tree to several people and that they thought he did a great job. That really pleased him. I showed him a picture of it as we talked to help remind him of what it looked like. You guys made his day. He remembered I told him that and brought it up several times during the day. It was a good day for him!

Thanks also for the kind words. This is such a hearbreaking disease. My father is 81 and use to be extremely physically fit but the disease has began a total deterioration of both his mind and body.

Cataholic
09-01-2003, 08:53 PM
Wow, special dad, special kitties, and special YOU for making his day by talking about the cat tree. It really is quite nice. I am wondering about the curved parts...are they wood?

jazzcat
09-01-2003, 10:32 PM
Originally posted by Cataholic
I am wondering about the curved parts...are they wood?
The perches are made out of a cardboard material called Sono Tube. It is the cardboard forms that builders use to make concrete column and pillars - sold at hardware and building stores. We bought the Sono Tube which is a complete circle and then cut it in half long ways to make the curve piece. I then covered each curve (perch) with carpet. My dad cut the tube with a table saw but even a handsaw would work. The top two perches are cut sono tube and the botton thing is a tunnel which is a piece of uncut sono tube.

I hope I made that understandable. I have a hard time explaining things. Actually, I found the plans for the cat tree online and it is very easy to understand. My Dad followed the plans but made a few minor changes that he thought would make it more sturdy. Here's the link to the cat tree plans:
http://amby.com/cat_site/cattree.html