PDA

View Full Version : Just Call Me Mugsy!

aly
12-02-2001, 10:46 PM
Ok, I came home from work dead tired tonight and crawled into bed 30 minutes ago. Now I'm up after tossing and turning because of a situation I'm in. Let me start at the beginning. I will try to be as brief as possible.

2 months ago, we got this big goofy terrier mix at the shelter. She is an owner surrender (they got rid of her because she constantly dug out of the yard - geez bozo, what do you think a dog is going to do when you neglect it in the yard ALL DAY LONG GRRRRRRR!!). Anyway, she's 6 years old and her name is Lucy. She's very depressed in the kennel, so we'd take her behind the desk a lot. We work from 7am to 9pm most of the time, so that's a LOT of time spent with her. Actually, we'd get her behind the desk at 11 when we open, since before that we are in the back. But this is what began the bond I made with her. It got to the point where I was at with Bailey. If she hears my voice or sees me in the kennel area, she starts barking at me to come get her :(

I slapped myself on the wrist every time I thought about adopting and was able to stop myself. I found her a really sweet family with a dog named Chester that was a huge scruffy terrier mix just like her. He is 13 years old but did really well with her in the dog intro. I counseled them on crate training and told them NOT to leave her unattended in the backyard because of her digging issue. To make a long story short, they didn't block off their doggy door, Lucy got out, and I got the awful phone call at work that she was missing.

They adopted her on a Friday, called me the next morning at work and told me she was gone. I printed out her picture and posted 35 fliers. I also told them everything they needed to do to file a lost animal report at the city shelter. I was a crying mess that whole day and the next. But that Sunday evening they called me at work and said they had found her turned in to the city shelter. They also told me they would be returning her because she stressed their old dog out. Oh, and she was found in the area code of the humane society (my shelter) so we think she was coming back to us :eek:

I was SO HAPPY to see her again. She had sores on her feet from something. And she STUNK from being at the awful icky city shelter. She was sooooo hungry and tired. I sat on the floor and she layed her head in my lap and slept. I've been taking really good care of her and making special trips up to see her on my days off. This is probably a bad idea because now she thinks I'm her mommy. Whenever she sees me if she's out of her kennel, she'll start prancing and bouncing right up to me. Someone was looking at her today in the auditorium. I was in there with them talking to them about her. The whole time they were petting her, she'd stare at me. They were holding her head, so she just moved her eyeballs to the side so she could see me.

Now all this has been breaking my heart and I can't ever get her out of my mind. I really am considering breaking my lease and moving to a house ASAP if I could adopt her. I have no clue how she is with cats, and I have no clue if Lolly would be cool with her. I am taking my pups up tomorrow to meet her (just in case). And I'm going to walk her around the cattery to see her reaction to the cats. I'm not going to put an application on her, but just for the heck of it I want to see how those things work.

I know the sensible thing to do would be wait out my lease and move into a house when I was planning to originally. And wait to get a third dog after that. BUT my heart is screaming at me a whole different plan. Maybe Lolly or Shiloh will decide for me.

Here's the beautiful, sweet girl:

http://wsphotofews.excite.com/001/CL/2T/MF/tf79313.jpg

sammi
12-03-2001, 12:29 AM
Oh Aly!! She is a cute one - just a plain looken love mutt. I can imagine how you feel when she sits making doggy eyes at you. But, maybe some loving family will want her and she will feel right with them. I guess you sure would want to see how she reacts to cats and also your 2 pups. Maybe the dogs will let you know if its right.

shais_mom
12-03-2001, 12:46 AM
Oh ALY!
I don't know any other young women your age that would take on 3 dogs and 1 cat!! What a hero!
I don't know what to tell you, she looks like a sweetie. But your critters are now are your first priority. You will know in your heart if your pups accept her.

Pam
12-03-2001, 06:56 AM
Aly she is a beauty and I can certainly understand your desire to keep her, especially after bonding with her so long. I agree that the decision should probably be made by Reece, Lolly and Shiloh. If they say "no" then maybe a family member can take her (your sister?) and you could still see her often. What a dilemma! No wonder you can't sleep!

jackiesdaisy1935
12-03-2001, 09:34 AM
Aly, I agree with Pam, the decision should be made by Lolly, Reece and kitty. I was in sort of the same situation, there was a Schnauzer in the shelter here in San Diego which one never sees and I wanted to adopt, but cooler heads prevailed knowing that Perry would never stand for a another male to come in the mix and this Schnauzer was a three year old male same age as Perry. and I called the Schnauzer rescue and they are going to find a home for the Schnauzer.
Aly I think eventually you are going to have to buy a very large house. :D
Jackie

Pam
12-03-2001, 09:47 AM
Aly I think eventually you are going to have to buy a very large house

LOL! LOL! LOL!

aly
12-03-2001, 10:20 AM
Originally posted by Jackie:
<STRONG>Aly I think eventually you are going to have to buy a very large house. :D
Jackie</STRONG>

Hehe, ain't that the truth. I haven't even mentioned to you guys that I want five skin kids on top of all the furry ones :)

I think another reason I'm so emotional at this time about Lucy and other things is because a year ago (from Dec 1st) is when I brought Harley home. Its been really hard on me thinking about it :(

Logan
12-03-2001, 11:27 AM
Aly, you have such a tender heart, and I commend you for it. Lucy is a very special looking dog. Who wouldn't love you? I hear Helen's sweet little voice when I think of you....Honey just about wiggles her rear end off when she hears that "Honey, Honey, Honey". I know Lucy and all the rest of them feel the same way.

Here comes the "but"......you are so good, and so loving, and you are doing your level best to "save them all". And you do save a lot of them, Aly! I have to slap myself into reality all the time, and realize that I can't bring every single needy one in my house, and I'm not nearly as involved with it as you are. One huge consideration for me is money...I spend much, much money every month on something to either protect or cure my pets. Even with a very generous veterinarian, 4 is a lot of animals to care for, and especially the dogs are very expensive. And I'm no longer a student!

Everyone has been so "right on the money" in their advice. You owe it to yourself, and to Reece, Lolly and Shiloh to make them the top priority. If you take Lucy, then you know there will be another too.

I sound like my mother :eek: , so let me apologize in advance. I'm just thinking of you and your huge heart. :)

mugsy
12-03-2001, 07:29 PM
alright aly, what's this about you being me? lol That only makes 3 for you! We got another last night and are trying to find her a home. She only weighs about 10-15 pounds. She's really cute and very nice. We are calling her Jesse. Now, aly, if you want her and can handle her go for it. Do you have a house? Remember the one across the street here is still available. &lt;eg&gt; I am of the opinion, if you can afford them and have the time for them, you can't have too many dogs. It's just a matter of spacing out the time spent with each one. Good luck and let us know what you decide to do. I vote, break the lease and get a house. If nothing else, you won't be throwing your money out the window. You'll be earning equity in the house, not only that you can get a lot more credit if you own a home.

aly
12-07-2001, 10:17 PM
Well, Reece and Lolly went to work with me today to meet Lucy. Lolly was amazingly great. Reece was great (no surprise there, he loves everything with a pulse). But Lucy Goosey was AWFUL with Lolly. I sort of expected Lucy and Lolly to not hit it off, but it was worse than I expected. Poor Lolly got the scare of a lifetime. Lucy is over twice her size and was aggressively dominant with Lolly. The Lucy-Lolly meeting lasted all of about 30 seconds it went so bad. Lucy and Reece were fine at first, then when Reece came up to me Lucy got REALLY protective and lunged at him barking and growling until he ran away from me.

Its just something that I can't put my dogs through. I love Lucy so much and was crying hysterically. My co-workers promised we will find Lucy a great home and I will be called before she's able to leave if its my day off. I'm very very upset and don't know how I'm going to be able to see Lucy in the shelter every day knowing its impossible for me to get her out. Ugh. She's not going to be an easy adoption either because she has escaping issues.

On a happier note, Reece and Lolly met a co-worker's Dachshund and they got along great, so they have a new playmate.

zippy-kat
12-08-2001, 12:56 AM
I'm sorry it didn't work out Aly. I will pray that she finds a home *YOU* are pleased with.

{hugs}

aly
01-21-2002, 09:32 PM
LUCY GOT ADOPTED ON SATURDAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

She went to a wonderful family. There are 2 sons who are very sweet boys. The mom works from home and Lucy will be in her home office with her all day every day. They understand her escaping issues and promised never to let her outside unsupervised. They have my address and phone number and even invited me to dinner :) I was crying when she left but I am so happy she is finally in her forever home. She was so stressed and sad in the shelter :( And she was WAY TOO overbonded with me. The other day she actually got out of her kennel and sat outside the cattery door because she knew I was in there :(

I miss her soooooooo much.

zippy-kat
01-21-2002, 10:05 PM
Congrats sweet Lucy! Good luck in your fur-ever home!

lizbud
01-22-2002, 09:56 AM
Good For Lucy !!!
Aly, Thanks for posting the Great news about
Lucy & her forever home. It sounds so right for
her...Sometimes we hear to much about the sad
stories, and follow ups like Lucy's story
really brighten my day.. God Bless You. Hugs
and kisses to Reece, Lolly & Shiloh from
Buddy & Liz.

aly
01-23-2002, 01:21 AM
I'm SO happy and excited right now! I'm also crying!!!!! I just got an email from the lovely woman who adopter Lucy Goosey!

Hey Alyson,

Lucy is great! We love her so much. She has done super. No accidents, no escapes. She sleeps on her bed in the boys room and they love it. I can't believe what a good dog she is. We took her to my mother and dad's house in Bastrop yesterday. They live on a golf course and we were outside all day. She loved it. We went on long walks and played with the kids. She's a dear. Everyone loves her. She goes to the vet tomorrow morning. I'm anxious to see how much she weighs, etc. She seems healthy.

Thanks for all of your help. The worksheets y'all gave us are great. Lots of good advice. Let me know when you're in Tarrytown and we'll make arrangements for you to see her.

Paula

Dixieland Dancer
01-23-2002, 07:47 AM
Aly, things will work out with getting a new house, more animals, and skinkids all in God's perfect time. Be patient and in the mean time try to guard your huge heart from breaking over all the sadness that can be associated with working in a shelter! You are such a sensitive and caring person and I'm glad Paula will let you see Lucy if you ever get the chance. :)