PDA

View Full Version : What would you have done?

Tonya
08-24-2003, 02:24 PM
We went to couple's house last night for a BBQ. I barely know them, and didn't know any of their friends. They have a two year old daughter and a 5 week old kitten. The daughter was shaking the kitten, stretching it's legs apart, poking, squeezing, throwing it down, the whole night. I can't tell you how many times I took the kitten away and talked to the daughter and parents about it. I nicely told the parents that their daughter was going to wind up killing the poor kitten. They just kept saying "Karysa, we're going to take the kitty away if you aren't nice." If it was a close friend, I would have been much much more assertive. Being that I don't know these people, I didn't feel that comfortable. I was (and still am) so sick over it! What would you have done?

Crikit
08-24-2003, 02:30 PM
I probably would have taken the cat home with me but well there are quite a few time when I act first then think, and if I didn't take the cat home with me I would have recommended the find the cat a new home or even phone the humane society.

tikeyas_mom
08-24-2003, 05:04 PM
I wouldent have takin the kittin home with me, that would be stealing. Which isnt good. Kids will be kids, and the parents shoudlent have gottin her such a small pette animal.

KYS
08-24-2003, 05:20 PM
I probably would have reacted the same way as you, instead
of letting them have it. That couple sounds like
they have a thick skull (nothing between their ears but air,
and the kitten is only an object to them. :(

IF you have the chance to talk to them again,
you might air out your concerns a bit stronger, and
let them know how concerned you are.
If you noticed it, I am sure others did too.

aly
08-24-2003, 06:14 PM
I would voice my concern to them the first time it happened. Then after it continued happening, I would advise them that the best thing for the safety of the animal is for it to be rehomed. Then I'd convince them to let me take the kitten.

If they wouldn't let me .................. I don't know :( I would have a hard time being too nice at that point.

carole
08-24-2003, 08:01 PM
I have seen this time and time again with young children, let's face it, the paren'ts are to blame, a young child does not necessarily know any better, and certainly will not learn with the paren'ts having such a negative attitude.

It really appalls me too, I think you did the best you could in the situation, it is a difficult one to be in, you have to be scared for that little kitten's future though don't you?

magcpen
08-31-2003, 02:18 AM
Well, it's true, the daughter doesn't know any better. I'd probably have just mentioned it to them, maybe, but I'm just shy. :) Maybe you could give them some reading on kitten care, or on choosing a good pet for a household with children?

bisi.cat
08-31-2003, 02:58 AM
What a sad situation!!!:(
This indifference of some parents toward other being's CHILDREN (the kitten is just a child, too!) makes me really angrey!!!:mad:

Maybe you could find any reason to return to their home...without all the other guests around, maybe the mother will be more open to your concerns...don't forget to bring along some information on kitten care...and tell her kittens are kids, too and deserve special care...

It's so sad that it doesn't get through to the brain of some peoples:
A living being isn't a plush toy!!!

I have my fingers crossed for you, Tonya! Be sure, you can make a difference!!!

allanimalswelcome
08-31-2003, 06:53 AM
I think you did the right thing. The child doesn't know better and the parents shouldn't have gotten her such a delicate animal.

~Rachel

moosmom
08-31-2003, 07:05 AM
Carole and All AnimlalsWelcome are absolutely right. A 2 year old doesn't know any better. I feel very bad for that poor kitten.

When people come into the shelter looking for a pet for their kid the first thing I do is ask the age of the kid. People whose kids are young, I tell them that it's best they get an older cat because then the cat can defend itself should the child get rough. The shelter does NOT adopt out young kittens out to children under 5 years old. I think that's a great rule. Afterall, we are only looking out for the best interest of the animal.

Tonya, you did the right thing. I would also try and talk to the mother about possibly rehoming the kitten till the kid is ALOT older or offer to take the kitten. How about fostering the kitten till the kid is older??? I would do whatever I had to do to try and get that kitten outta there. A 5 week old kitten is too young to be away from it's mother, let alone be mauled by an infant.

Twisterdog
09-01-2003, 05:24 PM
I would have "accidently" put the kitten in my coat pocket on the way out the door. Ooops! ;)

Wouldn't be the first time. :D

RICHARD
09-02-2003, 01:47 PM
i would have distracted the kid.....but that's no long term answer.

i would never have forgiven myself should something happen to the kitty....

i vote for accidentally hitting both parents in the head with a tire iron.;)

Tonya
09-07-2003, 11:50 AM
Lmao, Richard. I'll have to remember the tire iron trick for next time.