PDA

View Full Version : Desperately want a dog BUT...

defbringer
08-24-2003, 04:28 AM
I really would like to get a puppy. I have a new, fairly large living area with a nice yard (not fenced, however) and lots of energy to take the little devil on a walk/play with him/her.

However, I do work 8 hour days with only 30 minute lunches (not enough time to come home). I will have plenty of room to set up a "play area" inside for my buddy with some toys and a pen to keep he/she inside.

I would rather not get a dog than get one and have him/her be miserable with me being gone so long.

Should I forget about getting a dog or is possible to have a puppy who can tolerate being alone that much?

For what it's worth, I'm mostly interested in getting a Shiba Inu.

clara4457
08-24-2003, 06:13 AM
I applaud your concern about getting a puppy when you are not able to be home during the day. Too many people don't properly think through the commitment needed to have a dog in their life.

That being said - It sounds to me like you have any almost perfect situation and are willing to do a great deal to make a pups life a good one! :) There are breeds that do very well being alone 8 - 9 hours a day and breeds that do not. I don't know much about Shibas so can't offer an opinion there, but Lovemyshiba will probably be around and give you more insight on the breed.

Having a gated area is perfect, but if you are unable to be home you are going to need to put papers or puppy pads down in an area and train them to use them when you are not home. Puppies generally can't hold it more that a couple of hours at first. I would also recommend crate training with a strict schedule the first couple of months. Something like this:

First thing in the morning - immediately take outside/paper for potty. Does both - PRAISE GREATLY then playtime. Doesn't do both - keep on the lead with you - feed and water. (I suggest feeding in the crate - Great things come in crates)

Before you leave for work - another trip outside/papers. Again praise greatly

Put in play area with lots of toys. Chew toys especially. Have a crate in the opposite area of the puppy pads. Put a piece of your clothing in the crate. The sweatier the better. Normally I would recommend putting them in the crate while you are at work, but 8 hours would be too long to hold it. If you can get someone to come over and take the dog out at noon and play with it, I would say crate the pup. But if not, a closed off area is also good.

First thing when you come home. Take the pup out for potty. Does both - Food and water and playtime for about 30 - 45 minutes then crate.

7:30pm last water. Take pup ouside/papers for potty. If he pottys - Play time. Then crate. If not keep on a lead with you and try again in a half hour or so. If the pup is especially thirsty and ice cube after that is okay. Obviously you have to be flexible on extra hot days and give them water later, but expect to get up in the middle of the night for a trip to the outside, or needing to go on the papers.

Right before bed - Take pup outside/papers for potty. Crate for the night. I would put the crate next to your bed. More than likely you will need to get up at some point to take out/papers, but they will be able to hold it for the night after a few weeks or so.

Don't forget PRAISE GREATLY every time the pup does what you want it to do.

Good Luck - and remember if you do get a pup, make sure you get from a reputable breeder and not a puppy mill or pet shop.

Cincy'sMom
08-24-2003, 06:14 AM
Welcome to PT!

There are some people who will say if you aren't going to be home, you should not have a dog. We have 3, we both work 40 hours/wk and we have 3 dogs. They are alone from 7:45-4:15, and yet they are happy dogs...they get lots of attention at night and on the weekends, and during the day (even if we are home) they sleep.

I think as long as you give you dogs lots of attention/exercise a few hours a day, they will adjust to the schedule just fine....and from what I have heard, Shiba Inu's are alittle more independent then some breeds of dog.

Good luck!

anna_66
08-24-2003, 07:14 AM
Sounds to me like you have about the same situation as most people with animals or children have.
I wouldn't see any reason not to give a loving dog a home.
I think the advice you've been given is great & I don't have any more to add, I just wanted to let you know that alot of other people are in your shoes & as long as you have the time, energy & money for a new pup.....go for it:D

Karen
08-24-2003, 08:30 AM
Consider taking an older puppy, or even an adult dog from a shelter! An older animal wouldn't have to go out quite as often as a pup tends to.

I would steer away from the more active breeds, most young Border Collies, for example, would go nuts with that much alone time, but there are plenty of dogs that would be fine, given some adjustment time and establishing a routine! Dunno about Shiba Inus' activity level ... but we have Shiba owners around here, I'm sure they will chime in!

lovemyshiba
08-24-2003, 09:26 AM
Yay!!!!
Here I am!!!!!!

First of all, if you are going to get a Shiba, I'm sure you have done the research--they are an independent breed, and can be stubborn. That being said, my Kito puts a huge smile on my face constantly with his antics--he is a crazy boy!!!! We got him at 8 months, so I don't know as much about a young pup, but I have been told they are so easy to housetrain. Kito was already housebroken when we got him--but he has had a few accidents, sometimes out of spite.
My shiba needs a lot of things to do--leaving him home is never a problem, as long as we give him a lot of chew toys and a kong stuffed with treats. He also has 2 other dogs here, but he is often separated from the other 2, due to a bad fight they had a while back, I just don't trust him.
Kito is not a chewer, he has never destroyed anything but his toys, but I have been told some Shibas are bad chewers.

One of the most important things, is socialization. We didn't have Kito as a young pup, and he wasn't properly socialized, so we do have some problems sometimes around other dogs and children. We are constantly working with him on that though.

Eight hours is a long time for a puppy though--do you have any neighbors, friends or family members who may be able to drop by and take the little one for a walk and afternoon play session?? Or a doggie day care??

I also suggest looking at petfinder.com, or a few of the Shiba rescue sites--they are such a fabulous breed, and many do end up homeless, because they are misunderstood.

You can pm me for any information--the people we got Kito from show Shibas, and maybe they can help you in your search if you are going to look for a breeder.

Good luck!!!!

Aspen and Misty
08-24-2003, 11:33 AM
I've meet Kito (lovemyshiba's shiba Inu)

He's perfect, I just love that lil guy! :D

i also agree with maybe getting an older dog, like maybe 1 or so. Nova (my dog, Pitt Bull/Lab mix) is left alone for about 8 hours a day and she is fine and she probly only 1 or 2 years old. She's very good about entertaining herself if we leave toys out for her.

Good luck in what ever you do!

Ash

defbringer
08-24-2003, 02:56 PM
Wow....everybody, thank you for the advice!

It is definitely a possibility that I can have somebody check on the dog in the middle of the day, I live with two people, we all work different shifts, so it's entirely possible the dog won't be alone for a full 8 hours.

Doggy day care? Is that like a service where they come to your house and help play with the dog for a little bit? I bet that can get expensive, but worth it!

I've spent a lot of time checking on different breeds, I am not dead-set on the Shiba Inu, but feel I have the patience for that breed. Unfortunately, I live in Kansas, not exactly the Shiba capitol of the world, and I am having a very difficult time finding Shibas in my area. I made the mistake of buying my last dog from one of those "doggie farms" and it was truly a nightmare, I'd much prefer to rescue or get a Shiba from a reputable breeder.

Foam
08-24-2003, 03:02 PM
Have you tried looking in the paper for a breeder? :)

Crikit
08-24-2003, 03:05 PM
A doggie day care is well it's like a human daycare. You drop you're dog off in the morning, they walk it, play with it and give it play time with other dogs and then you go and pick it up later on in the day.

Also if you're thinking about getting a puppy you might want to consider fencing in the yard just so you can be sure that the area is a secure and safe place for it.

Rachel
08-24-2003, 03:18 PM
I do hope you will consider rescue or maybe a Shiba that a breeder has to rehome because the original owners brought it back. So many people don't have a clue as to what it takes to care for a dog.

You might want to check out Petfinder.org to see if you can locate one that way. Another site to check is www.hua.org which has many breeds of dogs rescued from all over the country. They are located in southeastern Nebraska.

As for leaving a dog alone all day, many dogs are able to adjust to that kind of schedule. Even though I work from home, my dogs know my schedule and basically just chill out during the day. The key is to have a routine for morning activities and when you get home in the afternoon. Plan on spending at least 30 - 45 (or more) minutes playing with and exercising your dog on a daily basis. If I made one HUGE mistake with the first dogs I had as an adult, it was not realizing just how much exercise a dog of their size and temperment needed. (A tired dog is a good dog.)

Good luck in your seach for dog to share you life.