PDA

View Full Version : UPDATE of fire in B.C Canada.

tikeyas_mom
08-24-2003, 03:45 AM
http://www.ok.bc.ca/pictures/4601.gif

this pic was taken by the daily courier news paper crew. Wind whipped the Okanagan Mountain Park fire into a new fury Friday night, setting perhaps hundreds of homes ablaze and forcing the evacuation of an additional 23,000 people.:eek:
Another two fires have started on the other side of the lake, and they seem to be undercontrol at the moment. 500 fire crews men are working all day. They cannot work on putting out the fire at night, thats when it is in god hands.

“There is nothing you can do to fight a fire like this. It’s a once in a lifetime interface fire. We’ve never had a fire sweep through a community like this.”

There are 8,000 people are on evacuation alert.

There were some jack@$$e$*french* who drove further in than the firefighters. Some people see a fire truck and they think they’ve got to follow it. They have no right in the world to follow it.

People should just get away while they can, and stop making things worse.

http://www.kelownacapnews.com/pictures/12082.jpg

Winds over 70 kms an hour were pushing the fire at 100 meters per minute straight toward Kelowna. It created what is called a "firestorm level 6", with open flames travelling very quickly, jumping from tree to tree.

babolaypo65
08-24-2003, 08:42 AM
Wow. That's a pretty shocking photo. The news here says you might get rain today. Here's hoping.

Karen
08-24-2003, 11:05 AM
I hope you and the critters are safe - have you evactuated yet, or is it headed in the other direction?

Soooo scary!

wolfsoul
08-24-2003, 12:19 PM
That fire has now burned down 244 homes. 30,000 people were evacuated but some have permission to go back to heir homes and see what they can find.

The Bear Creek Park fire is now blazing out of control. Just what we need. Another fire. :(

I don't think the fire is by my house anymore! I haven't seen too much smoke in my front yard, and it doesn't smell like a campfire anymore.

Crikit
08-24-2003, 12:28 PM
I know for a fact that other cities across Canada are going to be sending firefighters and emergency aid out to bc to help out, of course I only know this because my dad is in charge of the southern alberta emergency response team for the salvation army but still help is on the way.

wolfsoul
08-24-2003, 12:48 PM
Yes, right now we have firefighters from Alberta, Sakatchewan, Quebec and Newfoundland. :)

ILoveMyAbbyGirl
08-24-2003, 01:14 PM
Well hopefully with all the extra help they can get things under control. Keep us updated! And keep the furred and feathered safe!

tikeyas_mom
08-24-2003, 05:01 PM
their is many hot spots by the mountain park fire, but it is basically out,

FACT: did you know, Underground ranging hot roots off trees can burn or stay on fire for up to a week after the fire above is out!! :eek:

the fire crews have gottin the fire by bear creek undercontrol. but sparks can fy, and all it take is one idiot with a cigeratte to lite another fire.

Jordan is right, today I herd on the news that some people are aloud back to their houses to recover pets, and photos or anything eles they wanted but couldent retrieve out of their houses.

kingrattus
08-24-2003, 10:02 PM
Some ppl left their pets in their homes while they left? I know livestock was setfree to fend for themselves, but leaving a pet in the house is kinda mean. What if the house caught fire? the pet would have a chance :(

wolfsoul
08-24-2003, 10:48 PM
Originally posted by kingrattus
Some ppl left their pets in their homes while they left? I know livestock was setfree to fend for themselves, but leaving a pet in the house is kinda mean. What if the house caught fire? the pet would have a chance :(
Some people left hundreds of horses in a field all locked up! :mad: the neighbors had to try and free them, but they were having trouble. I'm not sure what happened after..

kingrattus
08-24-2003, 10:56 PM
OMG thats horrible!!

tikeyas_mom
08-24-2003, 11:32 PM
Originally posted by kingrattus

Some ppl didnt have a choice,

example: a lady she was coming back from grocerie shopping and her naibourhood was ordered out. So on her way home she was trying to get to her house and police wouldent let her. She has 3 cats :(:( inside

some ppl didnt have a choice, others didnt have the room

wolfsoul
08-25-2003, 12:26 AM
Originally posted by tikeyas_mom
example: a lady she was coming back from grocerie shopping and her naibourhood was ordered out. So on her way home she was trying to get to her house and police wouldent let her. She has 3 cats :(:( inside

That's like my mom's boyfriend. He drove from Vancouver (where he was working) to Kelowna in three hours! :eek: A five hour trip in three hours is harsh. When he got here, the police wouldn't let him into Crawford Estates. They started yelling at him and so he just floored it and drove right through, almost hitting the policemen lol. Then he got home.

Good news!! His home still stands!! We all thought it was a goner, the fire was right up the road! He lives on Parkridge Drive.

Kfamr
08-25-2003, 12:27 AM
That's so sad. I would never be able to leave my dogs. I don't care WHAT an officer said. I would go and get my babies. I wouldn't be able to leave them behind. I'd rather burn in the fire with them.

Their things would be the FIRST i'd pack if I had to evacuate. I'd go naked, without anything for myself before I left my babies.

Barbara
08-25-2003, 08:57 AM
Even here the newspapers were full of the Kelowna situation! I hope you get some rain soon -and hope you and all your family and friends stay safe! It is so horrible!

wolfsoul
08-25-2003, 10:38 AM
So far no rain in the forecast. :(

The smoke is making everyone sick. :( My nose is all stuffed up and my throat is killing me and I have a headache. :( I feel terrible. It's really bittersweet because it's due to the wind that isn't here anymore to push the fire and make it bigger. I hate being sick. T-T

Good news! My friend's home is safe! She lives on Oakaview, and almost all the houses were gone on that one. I looked at the map that showed the houses, and it was so weird, because the fire would burn down one house, then skip the next house and burn the one beside it! It was total luck of the draw if your house was going to burn or not! :eek:

It's sad to watch everyone crying on the news..

slick
08-25-2003, 01:22 PM
Glad to see that you are OK Wolfsoul. I've been thinking about you. Glad that your friend's house is still standing. I've been watching the news very closely.

wolfsoul
08-25-2003, 03:07 PM
Thanks slick. :)

248 homes gone now. :( The fire is now 20,000 hectares in size. It is slowing down alot though. Just Saturday is was a level 6 fire (fastest) and now it is only a level 2! Yesterday it was 19,000 so it is really slowing down.

http://castanet.net/firepics/2003-08-23/thumbs/JohnMorrison10.jpg
http://castanet.net/firepics/2003-08-23/thumbs/gleneldstrom01.jpg
http://castanet.net/firepics/2003-08-23/thumbs/DarremSchlamp02.jpg
http://castanet.net/firepics/2003-08-23/thumbs/acertivemedia04.jpg