PDA

View Full Version : Hamster Question

ticosmyham
08-23-2003, 01:41 PM
I just bought a new cage for my hamster, Tico. It is an 8 gallon fish aquarium looking thing. There is a lot more room for him in this cage, but there is one problem. All day long he sits and chews at the glue keeping the sides together. I am worried that if he chews at it anymore he may get sick and/or be able to ecscape. This is a really popular type of cage for hamsters, but do I need to get a different kind of cage, or is there anyone that can suggest some ways for me to prevent the chewing? I tried putting toys around all the edges, but he just moves them. Can anyone help?

ticosmyham
08-23-2003, 02:24 PM
bump :D

ILoveMyAbbyGirl
08-23-2003, 02:33 PM
hmm... try that clear tape... and some paper on the other side of the cage to distract him.... lol

ticosmyham
08-23-2003, 02:35 PM
What a great idea......lol

ILoveMyAbbyGirl
08-23-2003, 08:00 PM
Come on guys... we need suggestions!

tikeyas_mom
08-23-2003, 08:19 PM
hi, I also have an aquarium for my hamster lo.. and all the glue holding the sides together are gone hahahaha but it is an old tank so it is all together still.

I have an idea for you though...

take a peice of plastic (cloroplast or even plexiglass)and put it up against the sides of the tank(the inside), then he wont be able to get to the clue with the plasit in the way :):).

ticosmyham
08-24-2003, 01:00 AM
Originally posted by tikeyas_mom
hi, I also have an aquarium for my hamster lo.. and all the glue holding the sides together are gone hahahaha but it is an old tank so it is all together still.

I have an idea for you though...

take a peice of plastic (cloroplast or even plexiglass)and put it up against the sides of the tank(the inside), then he wont be able to get to the clue with the plasit in the way :):).

Thank you! Great idea!

CathyBogart
08-24-2003, 01:10 AM
Two words: Bitter lime! (Or bitter apple)

ticosmyham
08-24-2003, 03:03 AM
Originally posted by WolfChan
Two words: Bitter lime! (Or bitter apple)
I feel stupid...but what do you mean by that? Rub a lime on the glue?

tikeyas_mom
08-24-2003, 03:11 AM
yea you caqn buy bitter apple spey and squirt it on the glue, the hamster will get one tast and "YUK" he wont do it again lol. Some hamster like the tast though, so watch out lol.

ticosmyham
08-24-2003, 03:38 AM
ohhh.... thank you! I was confused! lol :D