PDA

View Full Version : Talking to your Pets

jennifert
01-05-2002, 01:11 PM
I was just sitting her watching the tube (HGTV! :D ) with Duncan and I realized that I always talk to him like he's a person. I don't even think about it, I just say complete sentences to him about random topics. Sometimes I even ask him questions! I guess I do this a lot because other people have noticed and made comments about it! It's a bad habit for training purposes, like when I try to explain to him WHY he has to stop chewing on the table! ;) , but I can't imagine not doing it! Sometimes, I honestly catch myself staring at him as if waiting to hear his answer! Boy if I had a genie in a bottle with 3 wishes, the first wish would be that animals could talk! I have so much to say to Duncan and I would LOVE to hear what he has to say!! I know it's crazy and Carrie will tell me that I would never make it as an animal behaviorist :D but...Admit it, we all do it....Don't we? ;) :rolleyes:

Pam
01-05-2002, 01:23 PM
Yep I do it all the time! ;) The sad thing is that when I say things to Bella she looks at me with those eyes like she's trying so hard to understand. It's funny too because she seems just as interested at the silly things I say as well as the important things! :D My kitties, on the other hand, look at me like I have a screw loose and then go back to dozing! :D

Sudilar
01-05-2002, 02:17 PM
Yes, I talk to Killian and Shiloh all the time, even out on our walks. I have to look around and see if the neighbors have heard me! They both vocalize back a lot. That is what GSDs do, though. I really wish we could understand each other!!

ShepherdLover
01-05-2002, 03:39 PM
I do that with Iris all the time! And she has no idea what I'm saying, but she recongnizes the tone of voice. It's weird!

*LabLoverKEB*
01-05-2002, 03:40 PM
Yes, I talk to Sadie all the time! :o :D Sometimes people look at me, and think I'm weird! Good topic! ;)

yorkster
01-05-2002, 04:37 PM
Yup....I do it too. You are correct that it's not the best thing for training purposes, but I can't help it (sorry Carrie!)
:rolleyes:

Logan
01-05-2002, 05:55 PM
Me too!!! :o

I am home alone so much with all of my babies that they give me many chances to "talk" with them!! But Helen is just as bad as I am when she is here!!

I can remember, when Helen was just an infant, that we were in the grocery store, and I was "chatting" with baby Helen, and the cashier asked Helen's dad if I always talked to her that way! We chuckled and said, YES!!! Maybe that's why my girl matured and talked so quickly!!! :)

RachelJ
01-05-2002, 06:44 PM
Guilty as well. On one hand, I have noticed that my dogs pick up the meaning of a lot of different words this way without my ever teaching them per se. On the other hand, they probably are used to so much yadda yadda yadda that they ignore me as well.
I also ask them questions, but I think they do answer me with their mannerisms and actions. As far as what the neighbors think, I'm sure they have classified me as an eccentric a long time ago, so I really don't try to conceal my doggie chatter.

[ January 05, 2002: Message edited by: RachelJ ]

jackiesdaisy1935
01-05-2002, 06:55 PM
I talk to Daisy and Perry all the time. I ask them questions, "are you having a good time today?" or I tell them "Daisy, I'm going to get a cup of coffee, do you want to come with me?" I notice in my conversations with Don that when I say certain words they will both turn around as if they know what I'm talking about and I think they do.
But, here is the corker, Daisy and I dance.
I put music on and I say to Daisy would you like to dance? And she will put her left paw up waiting for me to take it and she stands on her hind legs and we dance a little. She is very serious about it.
Call me eccentric or call me crazy but I love it!! LOL
Jackie