PDA

View Full Version : EARTHQUAKE hits NZ..........

carole
08-22-2003, 09:02 PM
Yesterday the south Island was hit by a rather big earthquake, 7.1 on the richter scale, and the biggest in nz in 30yrs, luckily and unbelievably so the damage was minimal as it centered mostly out in the countryside so we are told.

No reports of bad injuries or loss of life, thank goodness, still it is scarey , a bit too close to home, I live in the North Island, for those of you who don't know, NZ is separated by the Cook Strait waters, between both islands, so this is far away from me.

Let us hope it is not the start of worse to come.:eek:

AmberLee
08-23-2003, 12:08 AM
I hadn't heard. So glad that there was relatively little damage for such a large magnitude of quake and that you and your family weren't affected.

carole
08-23-2003, 12:20 AM
Thanks Amberlee, yes its amazing so little damage, just finger's crossed there are no more.!!!

gini
08-23-2003, 09:46 AM
I was so happy when I read the news that there was no damage or injuries. Living in earthquake country, a 7.1 is a very frightening thought!

The area where the earthquake hit is one of the most beautiful places in the whole world.

Randi
08-23-2003, 11:20 AM
Carole, I'm glad you're safe, but that must have been scary, even though it was on the south island. :eek: Let's hope there won't be more. Fingers crossed!

carole
08-24-2003, 06:24 PM
Thanks everyone for your concern, everything seems aok so far, no more reports, yes Gini you are right, it is very scenic down there, very pretty, yep let's hope there are no more, living on the earthquake belt there is alway's a chance.

RICHARD
08-25-2003, 05:21 PM
:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

glad to hear you are o.k....
i was up for a small earthquake on saturday morning.....the worst part is at the beginning, when your heart skips a beat.