PDA

View Full Version : How much time do you spend with your small animal?

Aspen and Misty
08-22-2003, 02:02 PM
On another board I belong to they wanted to know how many hours a day you spent with your bunny, I thought it would be interesting to findo ut how long we all spend with our pets.

Interesting Note: Many people fessed up they feel they don't spend enough time and that between jobs and kids and school comeing up soon (or already started) they only spend about an hour or 2 with there bunies every day.

So, how many hours do you spend with your small pet?

Ash

PJ's Mom
08-22-2003, 02:05 PM
I don't have my very own small pet. :( I only have grand-pets. :D

lv4dogs
08-22-2003, 02:35 PM
I have 8 rats & I spend at least an hour each day w/ them (1/2 hour in the morning & a 1/2 hour at night). The whole time they are out of their cage. They do have a very large 3 story martins cage w/ plenty of toys so I feel this is enough time for them. Although before I got my ferrets the time that I spent w/ them was about doubled. They do not seem to mind as I re-arrange the cage at least twice a week & they have many toys & tunnels & things in their cage as well as rawhides & other foods & treats.

I have 5 ferrets (they are small animals but require the time of a dog). I personally spend (interact) at least 1 to 1 1/2 hours each day with them but they are out of their cage for at least 5 hours a day with full run of the house & they have each other to play with & my 3 dogs to play with. Even during the time I interact w/ them I have to stop & take breaks as they get side tracked really easily & they stop playing w/ me. They prefer to just explore & play w/ each other. They also have a large cage (& soon to be bigger) & i also re-arrange that very often & they have many toys in there & what not. Ferrets also sleep about 15-18 hours a day.

Although sometimes (about once a week) something comes up or I got too many chores to do & I may not spend as much time w/ them that day but I make sure that eeveryday they get to spend some time w/ me & the ferts are easy as I can just let them out of their cage while I mow the lawn or go run a quick errand etc..

GoldenRetrLuver
08-22-2003, 02:48 PM
The small animals I have are a cockatiel and a hamster. I try to spend about 2-2.5 hours with Piper (cockatiel) since hes a new pet and needs to get used to people. With Neko (hamster) I spend about 45 minutes a day with him. :)

Aspen and Misty
08-22-2003, 03:22 PM
Thanx everyone!!!

With Peaches I probly spend about a half hour with her maybe 15 mins cause she's not to fond of coming out of her cage yet so I make the time we spend together short and I will gradually lengthin it.

Rats- probly about and hour each day. Same reason a Lv4dogs, they have a large 3 story cage with TONS of toys that I switch around and the hour I spend they are out of there cage.

Bunnies- I have to tell you, they are very very spoiled. I spend about 4 hours, sometimes more, with J each day about about 4 with Tyah, but I only am in the cage with her (Tyah) for about 2 hours, but am always in the room with her as she has not learned and she still slips through the bars :rolleyes:

Ash

wolfsoul
08-22-2003, 03:30 PM
Well, I take the rats out at 4:00 in the afternoon, and I keep them out until night time. They usually go back when there is a show on that I want to watch but they would distract me from, or if I have to do some chores or something, but they always come out right aferwards. :) I always feel like that isn't enough, but I have to remember all the poor rats that get stuck in their cgaes all day with nothing but seed mix, and then I feel muchly better. :D

RockyRoad
08-22-2003, 03:55 PM
I spend about 2 hours with the gerbils a day. First I take Mack out to play for an hour or so, then he goes back in his cage and I bring out Murphy for an hour. With Floppsy, I spend 2-3 hours with her. :o I also bring Speedy out if my sister is not home for an hour or so, but if she is home then she does it. :)

cocker_luva
08-22-2003, 04:11 PM
i don't spend much time with my fish (:rolleyes: ) or my hermit crabs. but i spend hours with my pooch, Jess.

Aspen and Misty
08-22-2003, 05:14 PM
LOL, I spend alot of time with Bella my betta, probly 15 mins ;) she's a little slow and I have to feed her pellet by pellet and her light has to be on and I have ot point to it for her or she can't find it. I also spend ALOT of time getting her her pills, cleaning the tank and stuff.

LOL,
Ash

cali
08-22-2003, 05:26 PM
umm, I spend what time I have with them, the pigs have not gotten much attention latly exept for food water hay, and cage cleaning because the only place they can have floor time is in my room and the bunny cage is under constructon at the moment so there is sharp wire laying around, and things to dangorous for them, so they cant really come out much exept for cuddle time on my bed, I only spend time with the boys though, but that is because the girls are not mine, they are my moms she has to take care of them, and I take care of my boys, and the gerbils I alway take them out, but I can take then out more, my dads not allergic to gerbils, like he is piggies and bunnys(they are all in the basment so my dad just does not go down there) but the gerbils get to go all over the house! they go on the computer with me, and watch tv with me ect...:D I dont really have an exact time but I voted 1-2 hours just to cover it:p

Heather Wallace
08-22-2003, 06:47 PM
It depends really.
with the cats they are around all of the time, in and out of the house.

With the bunnies, I spend most time with Millie as she is a house/garden bun.

Today I spent about 4 hours as I had to clean a shed out (where 4 of the buns live and 3 hutches, I was there doing that all evening, didn't finish till about 10pm.

tikeyas_mom
08-22-2003, 08:15 PM
I play with my rats all the time all day lol, everytime I see them I cant resist to play with them, they are so cute. I probably play with my ratties about 1-2 hours a day :):). that includes bathing and outside time :D.