PDA

View Full Version : Problem. I wont like some other opinions, please

Fox-Gal
08-22-2003, 01:57 AM
Ok Problem.

My husband has ben helping out at a wildlife rescue center for awhile now. I have gone with him a few times to help out also and I do enjoy it. They want me to come back more regular to help out, not a problem. The problem is their kids. I love kids don't get me wrong. It's just this place is so nasty inside, there poop every where on the floors from some of the animals that need full time care and live inside. They never clean it and the children play in it and then of course want me to play or hold them. There is my problem!

I love kid and would love to play with them but how do I handly the kids? I don't want to hurt their feelling or their parents. But little hand full of poop all over me I can't handle. Their parents never wash them. Just the other day I heard the mom tell them that they had to get ready for their WEEKLY bath!!! :confused:
WEEKLY?????

It's going to be so hard for me to not say anything or just take over and clean them. Understand that children is what I devoted my life too. I work for the child welfare system for years, so it difficult for me not to step in.

My husband says just keep your mouth shut and stay away from the kids. I say maybe its best if I just don't go, even through I love working with some of the animals. Now he a little upset with me for not wanting to go. They did give us some animals, so he says I own them some of my time too.

Ok Go or Not Go?

Logan
08-22-2003, 06:19 AM
What a problem!!! Wonder if some of your volunteer time could be used to help clean things up a bit! Maybe once you have been there a while it will be easier to mention it! Good luck.

BTW, I am appalled at the weekly bath comment, especially in hot Florida!!! :eek:

Logan

Tubby & Peanut's Mom
08-22-2003, 10:58 AM
I agree with Logan. These sound like young kids if they want you to hold them and what are these parents thinking? Don't they know these kids can get all sorts of diseases from being in an environment like this? Almost sounds like they care for the wildlife more than they do for the kids. :mad: :rolleyes:

But I think you should go if you enjoy it. Try and distance yourself from the kids at first until you get to know the parents a little better and then you might feel more comfortable saying something.

Also, you might be able to help the kids by saying something like "Come on Johnny, lets go wash your hands before we eat that cookie, ok?" So it might be a good thing for the animals and for the kids if you helped out - and also a good thing for your marriage since your husband will be happy again. ;) :D

lbaker
08-22-2003, 12:19 PM
I agree, slow & steady. Maybe you could get the kids to help you give an animal or two a bath and get a little careless with the hose ;) Sounds like it COULD be a win-win situation for everyone if you can stand the first few days

gini
08-22-2003, 12:29 PM
What an awkward situation for you to be in. The condition doesn't sound as though it is very healthy for anyone.

Laurie and the others are on the right track. Slow and easy here.

You didn't mention the kids ages or how many there are, but I would keep my distance too.

Aspen and Misty
08-22-2003, 01:08 PM
Originally posted by Tubby & Peanut's Mom
Almost sounds like they care for the wildlife more than they do for the kids. :mad: :rolleyes:

:whistles inocently and walks away quickly:: ;)

I agree with the others, take it slow and then try to get in there and clean things up.

Ash

wolfsoul
08-22-2003, 01:11 PM
Ewww *shudders* I know I'm not the most hygeniec person in the world, but that is gross! When I was younger my mom made me have a bath every second day whether I liked it or not. :eek:

Sorry I have no advice for you. :(

Fox-Gal
08-22-2003, 05:28 PM
As to the childrens ages the little boy is 1 1/2 about. The girl (sweet girl) is 5 then there is the oldest boy thats 7. I too am supprised they don't get ill from it, but they all look and seem healthy. I love to be able to clean them up, of course there the other problem, you wont catch me in that bathroom for all the money in the world. :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: When I am there I hold it till I get home and handy wipes are in the car for me to clean up with. Nasty Nasty place.

They seem to care about the animals more then they do the children in some ways, the wildlife get washed, cages cleaned etc. They do a great job with the wildlife for the little funding they get. And they have taught these children the value of nature and wildlife. The 5 year old girl could teach on the subject. ;)

I LOVE the idea of getting careless with the hose. :D :D

I'll give slow and easy a try and maybe work my way up to cleaning the place some. But I don't want to become a maid.

Hopefully I can get the parents to understand later on as they begin to trust me, that they are taking a big risk with their children. One day some one going to call them in for this. Then what will they do if their children are taking away. I won't do it, there are some cases that are border line and putting those children in the system can be just as harmfull as not. This is one of those cases. They are well loved and happy children, just dirty.

Thanks for the advice, my husband will be so happy you all agreed with him. :p :p lol

carole
08-22-2003, 09:12 PM
Gosh what a terrible predicament to be in, I honestly have no real sound advice here either.

I knew of a family that were like that when I was at High School, and like you said, they were grubby, but loved and hey they made it, unfortunately they got hell from other kids and called awful names, so I felt real sorry for them.

Their lifestyle sounds pretty disgusting to me, I don't think I could handle it myself, I cannot bear kid's with a dirty face even, and stained clothing, but if you can well good on you.

Kfamr
08-22-2003, 10:19 PM
Ewww!! I can't even walk out of the house somewhere without taking a shower first! you just get too hot and smelly down here in Florida! That is soooo gross.

Fox-Gal
08-22-2003, 10:34 PM
Originally posted by carole

I don't think I could handle it myself, I cannot bear kid's with a dirty face even, and stained clothing, but if you can well good on you.

I can't bear it....there lies the problem and to make the children feel bad because of something thats not their fault, I can't bear to do that also.

Maybe I'll just carry some handy wipes with me so any time I get a chance I can clean them up some, atleast their hands and face. That way when they try to hold my hand I wont feel bad pulling away.

I know I'll just take them home to live with us.....problem solved. ;) ;) :D Whats a couple more strays? LOL

carole
08-23-2003, 12:38 AM
I do know where you are coming from on this one fox-gal.

I have a close friend, who is clean in herself and every other way, but to my suprise she thinks nothing of leaving her toddler's face covered in food and does not wipe his runny nose very often, needless to say he alway's seem's to have a runny nose.

Oneday she said he wants you to kiss him goodbye carole, he only like's kisse's on the lip's, well I don't kiss kids on the lip's,mainly for hygiene reason's alone, now take in mind he had a very dirty face and a rather runny nose, I was not thrilled at the thought of this, even though he is a real cute child, so I quickly gave him a peck on the cheek, but I did not enjoy doing so.

AWKWARD situation.

I think the wet-wipes idea is brilliant, you can discretly use them when no-one is in sight, good luck, and hey I would go easy on the adopting two more stray's lol. just kiddin. GOOD LUCK!!