PDA

View Full Version : Is there any type of pet wpuld you NEVER want to have?

magcpen
08-21-2003, 01:05 PM
Is there any type that frightens, disgusts, or annoys you SO much that you would never want to have one? What is it? I am completely terrified of tarantulas and would never get one. :)

GoldenRetrLuver
08-21-2003, 01:10 PM
I really can't see myself having a cat when im older. Theres nothing wrong with them, im just a dog person. :)

jenluckenbach
08-21-2003, 01:54 PM
I did not know if I could vote for more than one, but No WAY would I have a spider for a pet. Hermit crabs give me the creeps too. And I just couldn't love a snake. And at this point in my life it appears I would not have a dog. (too demanding of your time, cats are lazy....like me ;) )

cocker_luva
08-21-2003, 02:02 PM
i would have all those animals EXCEPT a tarantula. possibly a chinchilla b/c they're usually taken from their natural habitat. (from poachers and trappers)

MammaMangorin
08-21-2003, 03:08 PM
A snake :eek: sorry snake lovers :rolleyes:

wolfsoul
08-22-2003, 12:58 PM
A tarantula!! :eek: :eek: :eek: I'm terrified of spiders.

I would have all of the others...but I don't want to lol. I'll barely have enough time for the animals that I plan to have lol.

luckies4me
08-22-2003, 10:58 PM
Originally posted by cocker_luva
i would have all those animals EXCEPT a tarantula. possibly a chinchilla b/c they're usually taken from their natural habitat. (from poachers and trappers)

FALSE! Chinchillas are no longer taken from the wild, we have too many kept in captivity. They are almost extinct in the wild and are now protected. Pet store chins come from breeders. It is rare even today to see a chinchilla farm, although they still do occur.

And why would you not want because it came from a farm and was domestically raised? I would much rather rescue one then buy from a breeder. Chins make great pets. I used to have a Pink Eyed White boy named Chinchilly Willy and he was one of the best pets I have ever had. Breeders these days pay specific detail to pedigrees etc. breeding for health, temperament and colors.

As far as those animals mentioned above, I would keep them all. I am not too fond of spiders but I really do like some tarantulas. I also love snakes, and well I currently own about 30 rats so.......

One thing I think I would not own is a monkey.......although I like lemurs. Any other monkies scare me. :eek:

magcpen
08-23-2003, 01:31 AM
Lemurs are monkeys? I didn't know. Monkeys do frwak me out quite a bit but I'd much rather snuggle a monkey then a tarantula.... :p

Cincy'sMom
08-23-2003, 08:00 AM
Spiders!!!! There is no way my husband would allow it and I think I can totally agree with him.

I don't think we would be too likely to get a snake or a rat. If we someday have kids that want a reptile or rodent, I would lean toward an iguana or mouse, ginuea pig, etc

Another pet will will probally never have is a cat, not out of disgust, but because we are both allergic.

anna_66
08-23-2003, 08:52 AM
Originally posted by wolfsoul
A tarantula!! :eek: :eek: :eek: I'm terrified of spiders.

Same here:eek:
None of the others would be a problem though.

Pam
08-23-2003, 09:01 AM
Definitely a tarantula and here's a little creepy story for you! My son, in his high school years, used to bring home various pets. In fact he is responsible for us even having Trevor, but I digress...

Anyway, he had brought a tarantula home, complete with set-up, and assured me it would ALWAYS be inside it's cage. It gave me the creeps to even go into his room! Well, one night my husband was snoring so loudly that I couldn't stay in that room for one minute more. My son had bunkbeds, so at 3:00 AM I climbed into the top bunk of his bed to finish out the night and maybe get a little rest. :rolleyes:

The next morning I was changing the sheets on everyone's beds and what did I find walking across the top bunk bed (where I had just been sleeping!!!)....... on top of the comforter!!!! :eek: :eek: :eek: You guess it! I was almost fainting and hyperventilating at the same time! I managed to trap it under a cup while I was shaking like a leaf. My son says he has no idea how it got out of its cage but I wasn't in the mood for explanations. That creepy thing was OUTTA HERE!!! (Sorry for those of you who like spiders. I just can handle them at all!)

cocker_luva
08-23-2003, 10:08 AM
Originally posted by luckies4me
Chinchillas are no longer taken from the wild, and are now protected.

thats good, then YES i would have a chinchilla then! :D

cocker_luva
08-23-2003, 10:11 AM
my mom used to work at an eye doctors office and said there were alot of cases where tarantula owners would come in with spikes in their eyes!!!:eek: i don't want any kind of animal that has a venous bite AND can shoot spikes at you! :rolleyes:

wolfsoul
08-23-2003, 02:55 PM
Originally posted by cocker_luva
my mom used to work at an eye doctors office and said there were alot of cases where tarantula owners would come in with spikes in their eyes!!!:eek: i don't want any kind of animal that has a venous bite AND can shoot spikes at you! :rolleyes:
The petshops/ rescues here make sure that the tarantula is no longer venamous. :confused: I've never heard about the spike thing. :confused:

Tonya
08-24-2003, 05:29 PM
A tarantula! Spiders freak me out, especially big hairy ones!

Pam, at least you were kind enough to catch the tarantula. My mom bumped into my brother's in the hallway and she flushed it down the toilet. Although I don't like them, I thought that was a horrible thing to do. My brother found out what really happened to the spider years later and he was so mad!

Tonya
08-24-2003, 05:36 PM
Oh, I would never ever ever ever own a ferret either. I once bought one that was not neutered or descented. (I was young and knew nothing about them.) He was so evil! He was the meanest pet I have ever had. I'd never had so much pain inflicted on me in my entire life as the week I had that ferret. I know lots of people say they are great pets, but I will never have anything to do with them. That was such a horrible experience.

Desert Arabian
08-25-2003, 10:11 PM
Tranatula, scropion (sp!?), cockroach, any insect....

*blech*

tikeyas_mom
08-25-2003, 10:47 PM
A tarantula!! I'm terrified of spiders. I could never have one as my pet, my brother used to have one, YUK It creaped me right out!! :eek:

I wouldent own a ferret either, because they are very stink : peeu : lol.

I dont see my self owning a cat either.

*LabLoverKEB*
08-25-2003, 11:13 PM
Deffineatley a tarantula!!! I a terrified of spiders, no madder what kind!

Chibi_Star
08-28-2003, 11:38 PM
tarantula!!! Arg!!!!!! creepy BIG spiders!! little ones are bad enough!!

**shudder**

Amber
08-30-2003, 12:00 PM
Hermit Crabs scare me!! When I used to have my old hermit crab Krusty....yikes! I was afraid of him!!!! :eek: :eek:

neko1
09-01-2003, 04:01 PM
Blah I would never own any kind of spider as I am terrified of them!!!

I also do not see myself ever owning a dog. I'm 100% cat person.

primabella
09-01-2003, 05:02 PM
Tarantulas. I'm not terrified of spiders or even having one as a pet but I just don't like them. Very slow. lol

allanimalswelcome
09-01-2003, 05:14 PM
Hmm none! I'd be happy to own any of them!

For those who hate cockrouces you have no idea what you are missing. My teacher used to have them and I got a lot of kids to love our Madigascar Hissing Cockrouches. They are really sweet!

I used to have two named Bilbo and Frodo. Frodo I got from my friend (after releazing how boring he was:rolleyes: ) and Bilbo was given to me by my teacher. I loved them both! Then Frodo died...and the Bilbo died months later.:(

~Rachel

RubyMutt
09-01-2003, 05:19 PM
The only pet I can think of that I would not welcome into my home would be a tarantula. Even tiny little spiders give me the chills, I can't imagine having a gigantic one living in my home! :eek: I'd probably be too scared to sleep at night!

Kfamr
09-01-2003, 05:55 PM
I would probably take any animal that needed a home ( if i was able to provide it one financially and all of it's needs.)

I don't see myself owning a Cat in the near future because Simba would not approve of it.

Dakota's Mommy
09-05-2003, 11:42 AM
Personally, I'm a major dog person. I have no problems with people having such animals as pets, I'm just not one who would want a snake or a spider in my house and be responsible to take care of them. Infact, my 10 year old sister-in-law even has had a spider and a lizzard while I've stayed in the house. That doesn't bother me, I just don't want my own! I'm much happier with dogs, it's just my personality!

popcornbird
09-05-2003, 05:53 PM
Trantula! No way! :eek::eek: I think I'd faint just seeing one in the house. :p I'm deathly afraid of spiders.

I don't think I could ever own a snake either. I'm so very much afraid of them so..........there would be no way I'd take good care of them. I'd probably run away. :o

Aspen and Misty
09-08-2003, 12:52 AM
FERRET :eek: :eek: Them lil things scary me with there big old teeth and there little hands and there scary creeping around ways and there beady lil eyes ::shudders::

Ash

luckies4me
09-08-2003, 01:23 AM
Originally posted by allanimalswelcome

For those who hate cockrouces you have no idea what you are missing. My teacher used to have them and I got a lot of kids to love our Madigascar Hissing Cockrouches. They are really sweet!

I used to have two named Bilbo and Frodo. Frodo I got from my friend (after releazing how boring he was:rolleyes: ) and Bilbo was given to me by my teacher. I loved them both! Then Frodo died...and the Bilbo died months later.:(

~Rachel

I have two hissies right now! :D My most recent pic is in the new funny pet pics contest, Hermes! :D

Desert Arabian
09-08-2003, 05:42 PM
Originally posted by allanimalswelcome

I used to have two named Bilbo and Frodo. Frodo I got from my friend (after releazing how boring he was ) and Bilbo was given to me by my teacher. I loved them both! Then Frodo died...and the Bilbo died months later.

~Rachel

Sorry, but I could never own one. I'll take your word about them. :) ;)

Kfamr
09-08-2003, 08:41 PM
Ok.. I change my mind. I'd NEVER own a cockroach! Too scary.

micki76
09-08-2003, 09:53 PM
Tarantula definitely. I could never own one and although I'm deathly afraid of spiders, I'm fascinated with tarantulas. I'd love to have the courage to touch one. :eek:

EssTer
09-12-2003, 03:41 PM
well, I donīt like snakes, tarantulas and all kind of bugs... sorry, if someone loves those animals, but I just said my thoughts :)

Samantha Puppy
10-03-2003, 10:39 AM
I. hate. spiders.

Twisterdog
10-04-2003, 01:32 PM
I'm fascinated with tarantulas. I'd love to have the courage to touch one.

We used to have a rosy haired tarantula named Mata Hari. ;) She was one BIG spider, about the size of the palm of my hand. I had to take her out and move her to a bigger cage when we first got her, so I HAD to pick her up. I wasn't scared of her, I know they are harmless. But still .... it was just the "heebie jeebie" factor ... her body was so BIG. :eek: It took me a couple days of touching her, then petting her, then letting her walk over my fingers, then my hand, before I could finally get enough courage to pick her up.

Once I did it once, it was nothing. She was very sweet and placid, and just liked to sleep on people, because we are warm.

It's only icky the first time. :D

belle67
10-16-2003, 01:33 PM
No spiders for me either! :eek:

curiosityrats
10-16-2003, 02:40 PM
I'm not a fan of invertebrate pets. I don't think they are creepy, but I wouldn't want them as a pet... I'm not really into fish either. My mom had some hissing cockroached for a few years. She used to have a pet black widow spider. So, it's not like I have any built-in bias, but I like pets that have a certain degree of affection for their people.

However, the one animal I really wouldn't want as a pet is a hamster... I just don't like them!

I'll stick to my rats. ;)

luckies4me
10-16-2003, 04:32 PM
I love my ROACHES!!!! :D They are one of the best pets imaginable and I couldn't imagine not owning some type of insect. To me the cats beat the rats, the rats beat the spiney mice (although my house mouse is way more lovable than any rat I've ever known, he's just different), the spiney mice beat the roaches etc.

PayItForward
10-16-2003, 04:51 PM
No spiders for me

curiosityrats
10-16-2003, 04:59 PM
I LOVE my cat, though she tries my patience sometimes... :) I couldn't imagine life without her. (I just like animals that really bond to me, so it doesn't have anything to do with appearences or "creepiness".)

For me, my pet preferences are:
Cats--Rats--Dogs--other (domestic) mammals--other (domestic) critters

I don't agree with taking animals out of the wild. That is all.

gkristian
10-25-2003, 03:43 AM
I would have all those animals except a tarantula and a snake

kohala
10-26-2003, 12:47 PM
The only two requirements for a pet in my life at this time. But I can't really think of any I wouldn't have. Probably not anything too small or too big. And although I prefer furry animals, I wouldn't reject one with a different type of skin or coat.
For their sake, I think the only pet I wouldn't have is fish. As I said, for their sake - I have had bad luck with caring for fish in the past and wouldn't want to harm any more through my own ignorance.

ILoveMyAbbyGirl
10-26-2003, 07:13 PM
Tarantula? HOW BOUT NO!!!!! NEVER!

stacwase
10-26-2003, 07:20 PM
I would never, ever, ever want a pet cockroach. If you gave me one I would kill it with no remorse.

kohala
10-26-2003, 07:54 PM
Originally posted by stacwase
I would never, ever, ever want a pet cockroach. If you gave me one I would kill it with no remorse.

I have to agree. Sorry, I am quite sure there are interesting varieties but if you have ever had to live in roach infested housing, you might not find them quite so attractive. But I wouldn't kill it, at least I wouldn't squash it, only 'cause I can't stand to sqaush big bugs.
Yuck.
We have them downtown, 2" long - I can't imagine how you guys in Florida deal with those big palmetto bugs.

Rio and Me
11-11-2003, 12:54 PM
Any spider/Reptile "YUK"
any insect/bug "YUK"
any other animal is welcome with me!!
I love ferrets, they have such charactors (sp?)
i would have to have to though because they love company and playing, ill have one when i have more time etc.
Dog are at the top of the list though!!
Ky and Rio

petlover
11-11-2003, 05:53 PM
I would NEVER have a snake under my roof for as long as I'm alive. I am sorry snake lovers!:o But, I am terrified of snakes. And, a snake could get out of it's cage and eat one of my dogs. I am just saying, if any of my brothers got a snake, it would be very large. I just plainly do not like snakes.

Twisterdog
12-08-2003, 12:03 AM
Originally posted by kohala But I wouldn't kill it, at least I wouldn't squash it, only 'cause I can't stand to sqaush big bugs. Yuck. [/B]

Oh man, I hear you! I cannot squish bugs ... oh, just the thought of makes me feel faint. Not that I have any particular love of cockroaches, mind you, but just the thought of it ... EEEWWW! I take all bugs outside and let them go free ... only because I could never stand to squash one, I'd lose it!