PDA

View Full Version : Do kittens swallow up pebbles?

Kirsten
08-21-2003, 12:35 PM
I'm asking because I just covered my flower pots with pebbles - Lily loves to play with the soil so my entire place looks like a mess! :eek:

The method with the pebbles worked very well when Luna was a kitten and did the same with the soil, but Lily now is picking up the pebbles with her mouth, carries them around and plays with them.

Now I'm wondering if there's a risk she could choke on them. The pebbles are not too small, the smallest maybe have a diameter of 0,75 inches, but many of them have 1,4 inches.

Ever heard of kittens swallowing pebbles or little stones? After all, Lily has lived outdoors for a couple of weeks and has probably also played with pebbles in the garden, so she should know how to handle them, right?

Kirsten

Catsnclay
08-21-2003, 12:54 PM
Becareful because they can! Yoshi ate anything he could get into. Remember my diamond earing that he ate?! Maybe you should keep that out of reach until Lily is older. Better safe than sorry!:)

Kirsten
08-21-2003, 01:00 PM
Oh no, he ate an ear ring? :eek:

I better go and remove the pebbles from the flower pots again now! Have to think of something else to prevent her from playing with the soil - or just tolerate a messed-up place for the next couple of months!

Kirsten

catlover4ever
08-21-2003, 01:14 PM
Kirsten, put foil over/around the soil, this way all you have to do is lift up foil to water the plants and once Lily gets bigger, you can take the foil off the tops.

Meg

Kirsten
08-21-2003, 01:16 PM
That's a good idea, thanks! :)

I was also thinking about looking for some bigger stones to cover the soil with, that would also look nice... I only have to find out from where to get some stones...

Kirsten

Barbara
08-21-2003, 01:17 PM
If you keep the surface of the pots wet this may help already. F+T never tried to eat things like this but some kitties may be different.

If you go in a garden center where they have stuff for garden ponds you will find stones (though they are more expensive than when you can go to the next Kiesweiher)

Kirsten
08-21-2003, 03:42 PM
Barbara, that's a very good idea (about the "Kiessee"!! :)

A friend and I will go for a walk next weekend and try to find some stones out there... :)

Kirsten

rg_girlca
08-21-2003, 10:05 PM
Kirsten, you're such a caring meowmie. Keep up the good work my dear.