PDA

View Full Version : Dalmatian coat whitener

groundhog41
01-04-2002, 12:16 PM
My Dal occasionally gets a discoloration on her hip, reddish-type stain, if she has been licking and in need of a "squeeze." Any suggestions on getting rid of this discoloration, other than "time and new hair growth?" :rolleyes:

DoggiesAreTheBest
01-04-2002, 12:58 PM
GroundHog, I am not sure I understand what you mean. But if you are talking about shampoo, then they have special shampoo for white dogs at PetSmart. Costs the same as regular doggy shampoo but it helps whiten the fur and gets rid of dicoloration. It is normally blue in color and it works!

tatsxxx11
01-04-2002, 04:28 PM
There is a chemical componenet to doggie saliva that will "stain" the fur a reddish color. I first noticed on my kids' paws, just in the places where they would lick. My vet said it was from the saliva. That might be the cause. And a good "whitening" shampoo as Souraya suggests should help!

carrie
01-04-2002, 07:46 PM
I am concerned that you say the problem needs a squeeze....?????

Please tell me you mean a cuddle?????
(Dumb Brit strikes again!!!)

TheAntiPam
01-04-2002, 08:51 PM
My friend has a JRT that is 95% white, and he used that special whitener shampoo, up until all the doggies at the park started teasing him about his beauty parlor looks and using a froo-froo conditioner. Some dogs are just meant to go natural! ;) ;)

But, other than the social stigma (which bothered the owner rather than the pup), the shampoo worked great, and they did keep using it after all!