PDA

View Full Version : once bit, twice shy?

RICHARD
08-19-2003, 03:42 PM
i discovered a really funny habit that Edward has...

i'll give him a few scritchies before he turns around and bites me. we have worked out an arrangement where, if he doesn't bite me hard, he'll get more interaction and i don't get hurt;).

there are times he'll grab the web between my thumb and pointer finger.....THAT HURTS!!:eek:

we were playing the other day and while he had my hand in his mouth he was purring like crazy.

he does talk alot and doesn't purr all that often... but that really surprised me! :confused:

has anyone else noticed this behavior in their cats????

PayItForward
08-19-2003, 03:52 PM
Tigs is the most vocal cat I have ever heard. He is always Chirping, Murping or Purring. Which is really sweet unless it is 4am and I WAS trying to sleep.

He also does the love bit thing. He nibbles at our hands/fingers when he is happy. I have no idea why he does it though.

rg_girlca
08-19-2003, 05:34 PM
Can't say that I've had a cat that purred while my hand was in it's mouth.

Katie's love bites I can do without. When she comes for her petties I have to try and avoid her biting my chin cause she holds on for dear life. The more I tell her,"Okay, you can let go now" the harder she bites and boy does it hurt like no tomorrow. I have to tap her on the nose before she lets go. I ask her,"Why do you have to do that." To this day, I still haven't gotten an answer out of her as to why.

RICHARD
08-19-2003, 05:44 PM
Originally posted by rg_girlca
Can't say that I've had a cat that purred while my hand was in it's mouth.

Katie's love bites I can do without. When she comes for her petties I have to try and avoid her biting my chin cause she holds on for dear life. The more I tell her,"Okay, you can let go now" the harder she bites and boy does it hurt like no tomorrow. I have to tap her on the nose before she lets go. I ask her,"Why do you have to do that." To this day, I still haven't gotten an answer out of her as to why.

ouch,
i usually say "ouch, you are hurting me!" really loud....he understands THAT much...

Edward doesn't answer direct questions either!

Rottieluver45
08-19-2003, 06:21 PM
I don`t even pet Barclay and he bites me, or he chases my feet or bites them when I`m walking up the stairs. :D It hurts but I`m pretty much used to it.

BTW: Richard, what`s a pilaf?

Fox-Gal
08-19-2003, 09:24 PM
OMG my Trouble and Bunny Butt bite all the time. I think it's a sister thing with them. ;)

If you don't pet them right where they want you too....they BIT, and there not sweet love bits....they hurt. The head and the butt are the only 2 palces they like you to pet. Also if I mistakenly walk by them without petting them and my hand is in reach....they will swat at it.

Then there Evil, he bits my toes all the time, follows me around waiting for me to stop just so he can bit my toes. Then purrr's at me like "I'm so sweet" LOL

The things we put up with for the love of our cats. :D :)

gini
08-20-2003, 12:41 AM
Richard, all of my cats have bitten me. I consider them love bites, but you have to let them know your level of tolerance.

I think you are already on the right track.......saying Ouch in a genuine hurtful voice, gets the message across.

It is a heck of a way to find out, but I know Rascal loves me, he can bite like a pro. My Ouch complaints have resulted in more gentle love bites.

Cheshirekatt
08-20-2003, 01:14 AM
Originally posted by RICHARD
there are times he'll grab the web between my thumb and pointer finger.....THAT HURTS!!:eek:

That's why it's nice to have a cat like Elvis that only has two and a half teeth!

He'll toof ya, but it never hurts!

His breath is usually worse....

:D

Nomilynn
08-20-2003, 01:30 AM
My cats only bite when they are playing, and when they do, I freeze and say loudly and sternly, "NO!" and when they back off I wait a couple minutes before we start to play again. Even at that, it's only Nutmeg and Bassett who do it. Tilly I don't think has ever bitten anyone, except she's threatened it at the vet! :D

Nutmeg does, however, lick ALL the time. I HATE it but she's always done in and I haven't been able to train her not to.

RICHARD
08-20-2003, 11:23 AM
Originally posted by Cheshirekatt
That's why it's nice to have a cat like Elvis that only has two and a half teeth!

His breath is usually worse....

:D

CRUMB ON THE KING, whydoncha? ;)

And to infer that royalty has bad breath...

i guess getting gnawed is a little better than a full-on bite!! ;)

lbaker
08-20-2003, 11:39 AM
Sounds like an Eddy White and Eddy Black thing. (read AmberLee's thread about Jon Carrolls column). Another case of multiple purrsonalities :p One of my sons cats will go up to my sons armpit while he's asleep and occasionally bite it :eek: You want to talk about putting the hurts on someone YIKES :eek: